Gransnet forums

Chat

Denman College ( W.I.) has closed!

(33 Posts)
lemongrove Sat 15-Aug-20 14:08:18

Reading the news about Debenhams ? has compounded how I feel now that Denman College has closed for good.
Sad times.
Denman College was a wonderful resource for all W.I and non members too, a beautiful old building set in it’s own lovely grounds in an Oxfordshire village, it offered courses on just about everything ( both day courses, and for several days with food and accomodation.
W.I members went there from all over the UK and women found knowledge and fun and camaraderie together.

25Avalon Sun 16-Aug-20 13:12:05

Dillington House nr Ilminster in Somerset do day and residential courses and are opening in September in accordance with Covid guidelines. It is taking bookings now. The courses include crafts, history, poetry etc. It’s a lovely old house set in a large estate. Idk what the prices are like but can’t be any more than Denham.

lemongrove Sun 16-Aug-20 14:51:28

Thanks Avalon that’s interesting.?

B9exchange Sun 16-Aug-20 14:59:58

Have to confess my experience of WI put me off, as everyone had been born well before 1940, and was cliquey in the extreme.

But maybe that is just me, I can remember being furious at attending a local members group of a very well known institute, and being shut out of every group that I tried to join, in spite of having met some of them at conferences before. I really did think I had become totally invisible, just because I was the only woman there!!!

twinnytwin Sun 16-Aug-20 15:04:44

A friend asked me to go to WI with her in our village. It was very formal with the minutes from the last meeting and all correspondence read out followed by discussions on those before the speaker - took ages. The folk on the committee were the same ones every year, just with different titles. If there was one nearby with some younger women involved I'd definitely join. I went 3 times to the village one despite paying for the year. I'd rather be at home.

Callistemon Sun 16-Aug-20 15:06:29

We have quite a number of Scottish TWG members in our group Jane10

Callistemon Sun 16-Aug-20 15:08:26

twinnytwin our group do it the other way round now, speaker first the minutes (as briefly but thoroughly as possible).
Then, if the speaker wants to go they can although most seem to stay for a chat afterwards.

Callistemon Sun 16-Aug-20 15:08:46

Then the minutes