Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(54 Posts)
12Michael Sat 19-Sep-20 06:15:40

Good Morning Everyone,
Its another twilight start this morning with some wind, but its cooling down and getting more autumnal .
Today ,bus to Buckingham and Bicester ,shop and coffees , return home to watch tour de france and hilly time trial in the French Jura region .
My sister is coming to visit later traveling down from Shropshire ,and have planned a meal later together .
Take Care,
Mick

Susan56 Sat 19-Sep-20 08:28:54

Good morning from Shropshire where it is a much cooler start to the day.

We are going over to Cheshire today to celebrate mum’s birthday.DD’s and children will arrive at different times due to the rule of six?I have got two cakes as DD1 and Henry have to have dairy and egg free so vegan chocolate cake for them and mum does enjoy a traditional birthday cake so that’s what she has!?

Happy birthday Grandmabatty????enjoy your day.

Mary, our experience at the supermarket was very similar to yours so we are going to do one late night shop to fill the freezer then back to deliveries for us.

Thinking of you gilly and all with illness and worries.Especially thinking of Georgesgran waiting for results for her DH?

Taichinan Sat 19-Sep-20 08:40:41

Good morning everyone everywhere. At last the Indian Summer has decided to pay the Angus coast a visit and there's not a cloud to be seen. Enjoy your visit from your sister Mick. And before I forget to mention it - Happy Birthday grandmabatty ??. Brook the Glenmore area used to be one of my favourites for walking, and I particularly loved the Green Lochan, not far from Glenmore Lodge. Have a lovely day. GD was successfully collected in Perth, although not without a bit of a hiatus as her bus broke down somewhere along the route and they had to wait for a replacement. No worries of course because we were in touch all the time by phone. Imagine what it would have been like in the days before mobiles - I'd have been frantic! Today looks perfect for a walk along one of the beaches - but I shall let DGD sleep til she wakes, so we'll see! Have a good day everyone ???

Nannytopsy Sat 19-Sep-20 08:42:20

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
Happy Birthday Grandmabatty thanks.
Blue skies in Suffolk again and gardening is planned, at least until the rugby starts! I can do some ironing while that is on.
I had a very good day at the plant auction and came home with a nice full boot, so plenty to do. I just need to build the raised beds ?

Greyduster Sat 19-Sep-20 08:42:22

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Enjoy your sister’s visit, Mick! A dull, cool South Yorkshire day today. If it brightens up we may go for a short walk down our local valley, but nothing much planned for today. At least so far I am not sneezing??. Yesterday was a nightmare. I was exhausted from it.
Happy Birthday, Grandmabatty; enjoy your day??!
Have a good one folks.

Nannytopsy Sat 19-Sep-20 08:43:04

Posted too soon! I hope everyone who is sad or ill has the best day possible.

Pantglas2 Sat 19-Sep-20 08:57:52

Just popping back to wish Grandmabatty a very happy birthday ? and Susan56 mum ?! Same to NannyJan for tomorrow ? hope it stays dry!

Anniebach Sat 19-Sep-20 08:58:58

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Grandmabatty Sat 19-Sep-20 08:59:04

Goodness! A hearty thank you for all the good wishes. I was up a bit later this morning, and didn't expect your kind words to be waiting to greet me. grandmafrench I was going to say that you have special powers then I realised I mentioned the birthday on another thread. It has started my day off well. The weather is low clouds here but they are expected to burn off. I have nothing planned for today and intend to chill. Tonight I'm going to dd for dinner and ds and his dp are coming. We can make it under the two households rule as I am counted in my dd's bubble and dd is part of his partner's. All very complicated in these virus times. So thank you again for the good wishes and I hope you have a good day, you lovely people x

Kalu Sat 19-Sep-20 09:01:40

Good morning all from another sunny day in Glasgow. Note to self, must clean windows inside as the sun shining through is testament to, they need cleaned again!

Whilst working in the garden a couple of days ago we heard a rumbling in the sky then all became clear as a Spitfire flew overhead twice. What a chilling sound. I had never heard that sound before except on war films as I wasn’t born until after the war. Can’t say I would like to hear it again.

Later on a small Cesna flew over and I suggested to DH that would be a handy thing to have, he thought a helicopter would be a better idea, take off and landing. My imagination ran away with an even better idea as DH’s background is engineering, come up with a blueprint for a Helicamper. ??

A very Happy Birthday Grandmabatty ??

Have a pleasant day all, love and best wishes to our missing Gnetters.

GrannySomerset Sat 19-Sep-20 09:04:50

One load of washing on line, second in machine and we are soon off to the surgery for our flu jabs - once I have got DH up and sorted, not a five minute job.

DH keen to go to M&S to look at pullovers so we might do that while we can as I suspect our lives are likely to be curtailed in the near future. Other than that, not much planned.

Nortsat Sat 19-Sep-20 09:06:24

Good morning Mick (hope you have a lovely meal with your sister) and the GM team from a currently sunny east London.

Happy birthday Grandmabatty.
Susan have a lovely day with your mum ... two cakes ... how lovely.
Ginster glad little pooch’s xrays didn’t reveal anything worrying.
Sark hope your poor DD has a better day.

Housework and online grocery shopping for us today. Given the rise in CV19 in London, we feel less and less confident about going out. I stopped shielding on 31st August, but have only been out twice (apart from daily walks).
Film night and a takeaway for us.

Sending good thoughts to gilly and the Bluesapphire and Dragonfly. ? for those facing challenges today. Hope we all have a lovely day, especially those with celebrations and family visits.?

Grandmafrench Sat 19-Sep-20 09:07:59

Good morning again, everyone (or, Rebonjour as one says here if Good Mornings have already been exchanged?)
Dry, warm but very windy in our little corner of Herault ??
Currently waiting for the warnings of torrential rain, some hail, thunder and gales to materialize. Sometimes the Meteo gets it wrong and the unpleasantness stays in the mountains. Anyway, no panic needed as it’s supposed to be back to blue skies and wall to wall sunshine tomorrow again.

So.....waiting for 10 am brekkie. New regime working well. There will be Greek yoghurt, fruit and nutty sprinkles and more tea. 3rd day of #shiftsomelockdownweight and so far, no one has felt wobbly, and no fights have broken out. DH kindly participating and I/c catering, so optimism has broken out here!

Took our hound Ludo for a ‘controle’ : only 15 days on Thyroxine and he needed another blood test to measure the results. Amazingly, where he was off the low scale before, ?, he’s now just above normal.....so dose being reduced. Then we’ll wait 6 weeks before another test. He’s filled with bounce and cheekiness again and, most importantly, his skin is improving and his coat regrowing. Vet is so nice - last visit he charged for consultation but not the blood test! Yesterday, he charged for the test but not the consultation. Although I can have bloods checked whenever I want, just wish that my thyroid levels could have been sorted in 15 days! Think maybe you need to be a dog, for that ?

Bet it’s nice to be home after your adventure, Pants. We have to hope that Urms (when the bags are eventually packed) has a similar calm journey back to Blighty, with acres of plane space. That would be a happy end to an almost surreal life event, I hope, Urms.

Glad you were all ranted out when the genial guy turned up to actually recover your ‘phone service for you, Ellan, since he possibly wouldn’t have deserved a flying, yelling Gran pinning him down in a headlock and threatening a hostage situation. So pleased you’re back in touch with the world again. You definitely need a reliable service now .....and some rebate for loss of service all those days.

Wishing everyone a calm Saturday and the chance of some smiles, a friendly chat or time spent just on you!

I’m off to look up ‘Mars Bar Cake’ - purely for research you understand!

Hugs and stay safe, please.

mancgirl Sat 19-Sep-20 09:11:08

Good morning from Manchester where the sun has just disappeared. Happy birthday Grandmabatty and others celebrating their birthdays this weekend. Pantglas isn't the post a pain after weeks away? That and the gardens! We watched A Place in the Sun last night, set in Denia. Made us "homesick" but lovely to see it on TV. Def need to do some chores today. They have been taking second place to the gorgeous weather we have had this week. Both sons coming to watch the match later this afternoon and gs2 is staying over. Early start tomorrow morning then! Have a good day everyone. flowersfor those with extra cares and worries. Hope you are OK Gilly

Marydoll Sat 19-Sep-20 09:19:55

Nortsat

3oz hard margerine
3oz Cocopops (supermarket own)
5 Mars bars (Lidl's own)
Chocolate to cover. Supermarket's own again!

Melt the marge and chopped Mars bars in bursts in the microwave and beat with a fork until smooth.
Add the Cocopops/Rice Crispies and mix until the rice is covered in the chocolate mix
Put in a greased tray, and leave to set in the fridge. It sets quickly.
Cover in melted chocolate.
Cut into diet sized squares wink

I usually melt a bar each of plain and milk, 39p Lidl/Tesco/Morrisons own make. It's less sweet.
Enjoy, then diet!

Kalu, that Cessna has been flying backwards and foreards for weeks. it seems to come from Prestwick airport.

Happy birthday Grandmabatty. Have a lovely time with your family.

HAZBEEN Sat 19-Sep-20 09:23:14

Morning everyone. Didn't post yesterday as I was feeling rather urgh with a bit of nausea and generally being washed out. This morning I am feeling so much better!
MIL is coming tomorrow for the first time this year so better make sure the house is looking shipshape! We haven't always seen eye to eye but she has been so thoughtful and caring since I lost my Mam last December, phones ME for a change just to chat and see how I am, sends little cards and notes etc. She lives a little bit away from us in Berkshire but does still drive so she decided she would come over in case we go back into lockdown. Of course that means Sunday lunch, tidying up and generally making sure all is as perfect as it can be!
OH has gone shopping to get a piece of beef to roast as its her favourite along with something nice for dessert. He does the cooking anyway so I can just sit and chat when she arrives!
Hope everyone celebrating this weekend has the best time they can. Hugs and best thoughts to all GNers suffering in anyway and special best wishes to Gillybob.
By the way thank Marydoll for your wishes yesterday.
Stay safe everyone.

Gelisajams Sat 19-Sep-20 09:33:07

Good morning from a sunny Morecambe Bay. My sister in law and her husband are coming over later and we will go for a walk. It maybe the last time we can have someone in the house for some time as it will not be allowed from Tuesday here. I’ ll have to give the house a lick a promise before they arrive. It must be ingrained behaviour as the house isn’t really that bad!
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Grandmafrench Sat 19-Sep-20 10:15:20

Thanks so much - you're a little Star, Mary. This will go into my own recipe book to try after some excess poundage has been shifted. hmm

I may have to use butter, since I've not seen hard margarine in our supermarket. Will have a look anyway. Love your little "cut into diet size pieces" instruction. Who are you kidding? grin

Have a good day Chez Marydoll and keep well away from future trolley rage incidents - far too late now to educate the masses. I fear it might even be turning into a "man the lifeboats, women and children first" situation.

EllanVannin Sat 19-Sep-20 10:35:37

Good Morning All x.
A Happy Birthday to Grandmabatty flowers

What a lovely week, weatherwise with sunshine again. Bit of a sea breeze but I don't mind that as it's so fresh---patio doors open.

As mentioned yesterday, got my phone back--up and running. I hadn't the heart to moan at the engineer as he was so pleasant even though he'd have talked a glass eye to sleep.

We're not winning the virus battle are we ? Ah well, maybe another 12 months we'll see it fizzle out. I must admit that it is difficult for the young in society.

Need a few bits locally but not up to much else as I hoovered past myself yesterday. When I was hoovering the bedroom I picked up a bottle of perfume that I'd hardly used and was just about to bin it when I sprayed a bit into the air. It smelled far better wafting around than it did on me so this " expensive " O de l'orangerie has made a pleasant fresh
room spray grin ( lemony )

Hoping everyone is well as we anticipate another lockdown ( I'm not happy about it ) but needs must I suppose. I feel for those who have already struggled on here xx flowers

Take care, stay safe and make the most of the good weather xx.

Megs36 Sat 19-Sep-20 10:52:57

Scentia
Hope your holiday is OK, As I mentioned yesterday our break at end of October cancelledthis week, already postponed in April and re booked for October, not really unexpected but disappointing. Everything grinding to a halt again just when it seemed safe to ‘go in’ the water again!!!!????

travelsafar Sat 19-Sep-20 11:02:33

I have just got back from an hour long walk or a 'stagger', lol. I did have to make use of seats along the way as my leg is so painful at the moment. The beautiful weather just called to me to be outside. Now i will attempt to alter a pair of trousers as i dont think i can do gardening it will be just too much all in one day much as i would like to be out thre.

Feelingmyage55 Sat 19-Sep-20 12:01:09

Good morning from another sunny day - two in a row and will try not to let it go to my head! I am going to pretend I am on holiday for the rest of the day. marydoll I will make that cake next week for my visitors. I’ll need to cut out a slice for myself first or I won’t see any of it. Of course I could make two?.
I can’t bring myself to go into the supermarket. I parked up yesterday and watched. Then went home. No security, no modified behaviour. Quite worrying. A young friend is getting married this afternoon so I am happy that the sun is shining for the couple. A big party in the future with us all taking a dish is planned.
gillybob ?. As usual have the best day you can folks.

Beechnut Sat 19-Sep-20 12:01:47

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday Grandmabatty???

Taichinan Sat 19-Sep-20 12:03:08

Kalu. I love your idea of a "helicamper'!! Way back in the late 80s DH was talking of getting his PPL (private pilot's licence). We could then borrow a small Cessna from his work and go off for the occasional weekend!! Then along came the recession . ...... It was a lovely dream while it lasted. He was killed in a road (would you believe it!) accident in '92. Happy memories though. You have brought back so many memories. We were living near Duxford when the film "The Battle of Britain" was being filmed in 1968 and saw mock battles in the sky, and waves of bombers going over. It must have been scary during the war. Ooops, sorry for the reminiscences. Extra ??? to compensate!

Georgesgran Sat 19-Sep-20 12:22:35

Good afternoon from Durham. Bright and breezy here. DD1 is away with husband, DGS and FIL - back Monday, so not sure if they need to self isolate? She’s Newcastle and FIL South Tyneside. I’m confused by it all now!
Woken early by neighbour ‘hammering’. A lovely young couple moved into the house behind us - but they’ve turned their garden into a multi use space - constructing everything themselves from scratch! Chicken hut and run, guinea pig house and run, massive trampoline and set of goal posts. Kennels and runs for 3 noisy dogs rescued from Afghanistan, pergola covered seating, shed attached to back of garage, patio area fenced off and now the introduction of a huge shed - 20ft long by 8ft wide plus large verandah which we think might be for a hot tub!
As I say - they are a lovely couple with 2 well behaved boys. Live and let live!

Hope everyone has the best day today. Thinking of others with ‘troubles’ too. X

Rufus2 Sat 19-Sep-20 13:13:04

Previously, I would have just kept quiet
marydoll Sorry to hear of your experience, but I guess when times are stressful some people snap and then become difficult to avoid! sad

Not quite the same thing, but one of my Granddaughters works part-time at a fruit and vegie shop in Brisbane where a customer objected to a lady getting too close behind her in the queue and started ramming her with her trolley to make her back off.!
There was no retaliation, but it could have turned into a trolleygate rage. grin
Good Health