Gransnet forums

Chat

Backpack, clutch or handbag?

(168 Posts)
Lucca Sat 19-Sep-20 08:15:10

I’ve never got it right in the handbag department and now I have arthritis apparently in neck and shoulder area I think I’ll have to go backpack. Do you have a wardrobe full of handbags?

Lucca Sat 19-Sep-20 09:08:46

JenniferEccles

There was a thread a day or so ago asking if we could tell who the poster was from the title.

I got it totally wrong with yours
Lucca !

I like shoulder bags so my hands are free. Although I love the idea of matching colours to outfits I find changing bags often too much of a faff!

I tend to stick to black in the winter and a couple of light coloured ones in the summer.

I am fussy about the size though. Big enough for purse, phone glasses etc yet not too big to swamp me !

??????

BlueSky Sat 19-Sep-20 09:13:53

Badgranma
"but the rest of the time just use a purse with a wrist strap. It holds my phone, a bank card and a few coins and that does it for me."
I wish I could manage with a purse with a wrist strap Badgranma! But what about keys, sunglasses, mini umbrella, comb, tissues, headache and indigestion tablets, mints and chewing gum, pen, and now hand sanitizer and mask ? confused

ayse Sat 19-Sep-20 09:24:12

My only back pack is brightly coloured swirls. I carry a canvas shoulder bag inside for ‘handbag’ stuff. It’s all so much easier than handbags alone and very useful for shopping when the bag comes out and stuff goes in. I have several unused handbags for occasional use, two evening bags (just in case and rarely used).

I wish women’s clothes had much deeper pockets in jackets and trousers to carry all the essentials. I wouldn’t have to use a bag at all.

I’m not an elegant style person but can do if the need arises.

I quite often end up carrying stuff for DH in my reusable shopping bags carried in said rucksack. I need a new one as the zip is on it’s way out but haven’t found one as colourful as this one but I’m looking

JenniferEccles Sat 19-Sep-20 09:52:33

I can see how a backpack is better for our backs and posture but I wouldn’t find them convenient.

I need to be able to get at mine too often when I’m out for something or other, usually lip balm.

I do like the idea of a pop of a bright colour with a bag, and envy people who have more patience than me to swap them frequently!

Your mum’s bag is lovely Lucca and it also reminded me of the classic style the Queen favours.

25Avalon Sat 19-Sep-20 10:05:52

I had two very expensive exclusive British leather handbags purchased In a factory shop closing sale given me for my birthday on 23rd March. Yes lockdown and they are still in their wrappings as I’ve not been anywhere! Sod’s Law!

I have several small cross body bags in various colours from when I walked with a walking group and travelled light. Otherwise larger bags I could put the kitchen sink in and did!
In the latter case tended to have one bag as too much faff to swop over. I also have a black sparkly evening bag and a couple of other sparkly type bags that match wedding outfits. I used to have a bum bag which was useful travelling - maybe one of those for Luca, certainly easier than a back pack which can still pull on the shoulder.

Auntieflo Sat 19-Sep-20 10:06:04

BlueSky, you beat me to it.
I would love just a small bag, but with all my 'necessaries' , I need something more substantial.

Cabbie21 Sat 19-Sep-20 10:07:57

You can get an inner bag to contain your essentials which you can then swap in into a different outer bag.
However I tend to put important things like my bus pass in an outside zip pocket, which could easily get forgotten.
In normal times I go on the bus to my voluntary work and have a big bag for my phone, purse, tissues, comb, water bottle, sandwich box, umbrella. Bus pass in one outside pocket, house key in another.
Nowadays all I need goes in my pockets, or if too hot for a jacket, I have a small over body bag just big enough for a phone, house key, tissue.
The problem with backpacks is getting them on and off quickly, and the risk of thieves stealing from you.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 10:09:42

Oh and a couple of wicker baskets, which are redundant since March.

BlueSky Sat 19-Sep-20 10:20:43

Auntieflo and then the men say "What on earth have you got in that bag?" Only to ask for some of the contents in the next sentence! PS I forgot the mini fan for late flushes! grin

J52 Sat 19-Sep-20 10:48:31

I’m a Leather bag addict! All sorts for all occasions. However, over lockdown I had a clear out and two black bin bags full went to the charity shop.
Not that I haven’t got more, my hands itch when I see a stylish bag. Unfortunately, a preloved designer bag shop has opened up near me. I walk on the other side of the road!
My Covid go to bag is a Longchamps LePliage. It carries all the things I need to keep safe and has room for small bits of shopping.

Jaxjacky Sat 19-Sep-20 11:02:20

One handbag, worn on shoulder, phone lives in back pocket.

travelsafar Sat 19-Sep-20 11:05:11

I find a back pack really useful as it leaves hands free for my stick and one reusable shopping bag.

Nortsat Sat 19-Sep-20 11:08:18

I have a black leather tote bag for the winter months (CK - 4years old) and a cream tote (MK - 5 years old) for the summer months.
As I am now walking with a stick (grr ...) I have had to buy a cross body bag, which is much smaller and leaves me hands free. I treated myself in the Lockdown sales.

I have one smart ‘going out’ shoulder bag in black leather and cream suede. It’s from the Jaeger sale and is 7 years old.
One evening bag, black with crystals, which is 9 years old, also from the Jaeger sale. That one comes out for every Chr***mas event and every party.

I always buy in the sales and I expect very good service from all my five bags.

Chewbacca Sat 19-Sep-20 11:10:02

I can't be doing with the faff of changing things over from bag to bag. I'm sure I seem to remember that there was a make of handbags where you bought the inner bag and could then purchase different styles of outer shells. It meant that you didn't have to empty the contents when you wanted a change. Any one else remember these?

annep1 Sat 19-Sep-20 11:22:56

I have lots of all sorts of bags, rarely used. Although my Kiplings are sometimes used to colourmatch my jackets. Kipling is a favourite as they are so light but this one is my favourite at the minute - a little backpack bag from Accessorize

Missfoodlove Sat 19-Sep-20 11:26:34

Confession time.
I buy a good bag every couple of years, always classic.
2 Tusting, 1 leather tote 1 leather handbag.
3 Ferragamo, I classic black, 1 brown suede 1 black suede.
1 unbranded Italian leather bag picked up on Portobello road in a charity shop.
Pictured £15.00??

Lucca Sat 19-Sep-20 12:25:46

Hmmm. Can you get pretty/stylish bumBags? Or Fannypacks as I believe they’re called in the USA

Georgesgran Sat 19-Sep-20 12:30:19

Got to say I like a nice bag and have a few (lots really). Used to be a shoe girl, but not now. In cooler months I tend to dress in one colour from neck down, but add a pop of colour with a pashmina and matching coloured bag.

Cross body though for holidays or if I’m helping DD2s wheelchair otherwise she ends up with both her and my bag on her knee!

Georgesgran Sat 19-Sep-20 12:34:36

Lucca ?not the ‘F’ word again!

biba70 Sat 19-Sep-20 12:34:38

I have a few nice bags for fancy occasions- but due to a shortened and damaged leg- I have used backpacks all my life to help with balancing the body.

My brother is at the moment giving away his wife's bags and shoes (she passed away 6 months ago) - 32 bags and 98 pairs of shoes.

annep1 Sat 19-Sep-20 13:34:56

Nice buy Missfoodlove charity shops are great for bags.

CanadianGran Sat 19-Sep-20 14:30:53

Not a huge collector of bags. I normally have one canvas or straw for summer, and tan leather for winter. I use them until they get shabby, then replace. I have a practical backpack but use it for longer walks with groceries or books.

I'm just about to make the change from straw to leather, but finding the leather bag so heavy! This is the summer one from Banana Republic. Still in good shape for next year.

Blossoming Sat 19-Sep-20 14:42:51

I can’t carry handbags as I can’t use my left hand. I have about half a dozen small cross body bags in various colours to match outfits on social occasions. They hold keys, wallet etc. Without being too bulky. Ordinary rucksacks are too heavy for me. I found a smallish backpack on Amazon that isn’t too much strain on my weak left shoulder. The fastening is on the side that’s against my body, for security.

lemongrove Sat 19-Sep-20 14:51:02

No rucksacks ( except a proper one for walking to carry food etc)
Many handbags of all colours, many shoulder bags and about three cross body bags ( smallish)
Plus two glam clutch bags, very rarely used now.
I change bags almost daily.
Have always avoided small rucksacks as I think they are very easy to steal from.

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 15:04:37

I changed to these www.thehealthybackbag.co.uk/ a few years ago and threw away all my other bags. I have the large baglett ( holds iPhone, spectacles, small purse) and the medium size ( holds iPad etc ) . I have the sizes in leather for winter and fabric for summer. The quality is excellent and you can wear them in various ways