Gransnet forums

Chat

Still not met granddaughter

(83 Posts)
Newatthis Tue 22-Sep-20 13:44:18

I wrote during the lockdown when my daughter, who lives overseas, had a little girl in lockdown. The baby is now almost 5 months. I see my daughter 2 or 3 times a year and my other little grandchild but they live in a country that has banned UK nationals in (and vice versa - she and her family can't come here) because of COVID. It is now 9 months since I've seen my GC and daughter and I still haven't met our new GC. They are our only grandchildren. It's breaking my heart. I know we have SKYPE/ FACETIME and my daughter is very good keeping us updated with photos and videos but I'm longing for the cuddles. I know there are many of you out there like me. Please be kind in response.

MrsRochester Wed 23-Sep-20 20:28:54

Today 14:18 Lucca

Tillybelle, with respect why is this on a thread about far away families ?

I was wondering the same.

Kryptonite Wed 23-Sep-20 21:28:03

I know it's not the same, but our little granddaughter has a lovely relationship with her grandpa, who she doesn't see often, through facetime. She knows him instantly and they have lovely, 'nonsense' chats. Babies today are born into the tech world and seem, I don't know how, to be able to make close bonds this way. Still hard for you, but not so long ago such miracles of science did not exist to keep us in touch. I hope and pray you get those hugs soon. Perhaps you could write letters telling your GC all about yourself and your life and how much you love them, and save them for when they're older. I agree with another comment to keep yourself busy and active and keep up your own interests. xx

Phil1 Wed 23-Sep-20 22:12:08

I know exactly how you feel . My son and family live in Florida and we haven’t seen them for over nine months. We FaceTime a lot and we have a lovely relationship with our 4 year old granddaughter and 2 year old grandson.
We just have to stay strong which is easier said than done , I know

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 22:22:07

Oops, Tillybelle, you seem to have posted on the wrong thread.

This one is about how families are coping with being apart at the moment.

Perhaps GNHQ will move it for you or you could delete it and repost it on the appropriate thread.

sparkynan Thu 24-Sep-20 07:55:05

I think it is really sad when you can't get to see your family, and I feel for all of you in that position.
If you want to fill a few hours a week helping out other young mums, maybe consider volunteering for :

PANDAS are here for you if you would like a little extra support❤️
Our FREE helpline: 11am-10pm from on 0808 1961 776 - if a volunteer isn’t available at that time, please leave your name and contact details and we will call you back within 12 hours, from a withheld number.
www.pandasfoundation.org.uk

It won't stop you missing your own loved ones, but it may help give you a sense of purpose and know your helping someone. A lot of young mums are very lonely especially if they don't have close family.

Pink44 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:17:50

I really feel for you as nothing can replace physical contact, but to be positive, we are so so lucky to have any means of contact and at least you can see your family. I was born in the war and my dad didn’t see me until I was 2! Try and think of positives and keep safe x

Summerlove Thu 24-Sep-20 19:03:42

786wales

Please count your blessings... I have 3 GC who live 4 miles from me and my DIL didnt once get the little ones to video call me during lockdown. My son bought them over twice for 2 minutes whilst he collected letters that came to my house for him. I'm sitting alone and wish you well. I'd love to be able to get photos and videos..... please know how blessed you are.

Don’t just blame your DIL. Your son could have done video chats!