Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you feel about Winter?

(150 Posts)
Applegran Fri 02-Oct-20 17:10:48

I have a friend who begins to lament the approach of winter as soon as the nights begin to get longer and whose mood is low during much of the winter months. Yet I also know people who are equally cheerful winter and summer - and I recently saw an article about this which I found very interesting. One of the things they did was to talk to Norwegians who live within the Arctic Circle - they have winter days when there are only 2 or 3 hours - or fewer still - of pale sunlight. Many of them love winter! It turns out that this is largely to do with how they think about it - here are some examples of questions they were asked:

Which of the following statements best reflects your attitude to winter?

*There are many things to enjoy about the winter
*I love the cosiness of the winter months
*Winter brings many wonderful seasonal changes

Or

*Winter is boring
*Winter is a limiting time of year
*There are many things to dislike about winter

No surprises that the people who agreed with the positive statements about winter were also found to be happier and more cheerful. And of course, it isn't only our attitude to winter which affects our mood and feelings - lots of things can look different if we find another way to look at them. I turned around a fear of flying by changing how I thought about it - and it wasn't as hard as you might think, once I allowed myself to see the 'story' I was telling myself. I wonder how many gransnetters have found that changing the 'story' they tell themselves about something changes how they feel?

Luckygirl Sun 04-Oct-20 22:42:11

I have good reason not to like winter. The dark evenings tie me to the house as I do not like driving at night. I have cataracts which have not yet been operated on (that's another whole thread!) and I avoid driving after dark. I can - but would rather not.

Spangler Mon 05-Oct-20 00:14:05

Luckygirl, you make me feel a tad guilty. Our social life has centred around the dancefloor since we were both young teenagers, still at school. The winter brings illumination, admittedly artificial illumination, but how I love a ballroom with candelabras, an orchestra and a ballroom full of dancers. A perfect winter's evening.

cc Mon 05-Oct-20 11:32:46

I much prefer winter to summer as I sweat, perspire, glow when I'm even mildly warm. But spring and autumn are really my favourite times.

Shrub Mon 05-Oct-20 11:52:28

Hate the winter. Live alone and I don't like the cold and dark.

I hope we get some sunny dry days so I can get out in the garden to lift my spirits.

Sawsage2 Mon 05-Oct-20 21:53:07

I love seeing snow fall on my trees and garden and would go out in it but would be afraid of falling.

sherry1955 Tue 06-Oct-20 00:05:58

I would like winter if, where I live it didn't last so long. I am on the Canadian prairies and we have winter from late October to early May. I am always looking for ideas on how to appreciate winter.

Witzend Tue 06-Oct-20 01:05:20

Winter always makes me very grateful for a nice warm house to come home to, however horrible it is outside.

Shropshirelass Tue 06-Oct-20 09:24:31

I don't mind winter, I am looking forward to sorting out the cupboards etc, catching up with my arts and crafts (summer gardening takes all my time). Going for walks on crisp mornings.

Sometimes it is what people eat that causes winter blues. Carbohydrates and sugar can cause this, reducing or eliminating them from the diet can reduce 'sad' syndrome.

PECS Tue 06-Oct-20 14:25:33

I went on a holiday cruise to Norway. It was January. It was amazing. Because the cold was dry everywhere felt fresh! Also towns & people & services are well set up to manage dark, cold & snow. In the temperate climate of UK we do not have enough of extreme heat/ cold to make it worth investing in resources to make it easier to live with. Instead we talk incessantly about the weather!
I don't mind winter..I just don't like the cold damp combo. of the ukwinter weather!

NfkDumpling Tue 06-Oct-20 16:42:13

We went on a Hurtigruten Ferry cruise to Norway in January too PECS! I hate the cold and the dark, but it was wonderful. I'm not sure I'd want to live there and have to do it every year for four months or so though!

Cherrytree59 Tue 06-Oct-20 18:39:05

I'm with Anniebach can't abide winter.
Bring on the daffodils daffodil

Autumn is completely spoiled for me with the changing of the clocks

My hope for this winter is that we are spared Snow, Ice, Fog and floods, which could make waiting time for paramedics and ambulance journeys to the hospital a nightmare.

I will also hate the thought of my NHS healthcare professional neighbour having to scrape her car, before she even starts her journey to work, whilst I am all 'warm and cosy' in bed'. sad

MrsRochester Tue 06-Oct-20 20:02:29

NfkDumpling

We’re widely travelled but have two final destinations to tick off, 2. Canada, by rail and 1. Norway, preferably by ship/boat.
Was Norway as wonderful as I dream it is? Did you see the Aurora Borealis? (spelling?)

M0nica Tue 06-Oct-20 20:24:30

Nfk, PECS We did the Hurtigruten cruise in winter as well, it was fantastic. The heating on board was very hot and we were in T shirts and as we had bought plenty of thermal wear, we were as warm as toast when outside.

Gingster Tue 06-Oct-20 20:35:55

I’m another who loves winter. My favourite season is Autumn, then winter and Spring , and lastly summer. I dislike the heat, crowded places, suncream , barbecues etc. Too many visitors,

In winter I love my woodburner, delicious stews and soups, woolly jumpers, my onesie, wellies , cosy evenings, winter walks, Christmas craft with GC. Christmas and all it entails.

I would hate to live in a country with no seasons.

Abracadabra Tue 06-Oct-20 22:40:24

Shinamae

I absolutely love winter, the wind and the rain and the cold!!! If I had to choose between living in a permanently hot climate or a permanently cold climate it would definitely be the cold one for me ??

Oh good, another one! I am so thrilled that autumn is here at last and winter not far behind. The endless glare and humidity of summer in the south east wore me down. Now I feel energised and like “me” again

Abracadabra Tue 06-Oct-20 22:41:53

Gingster

I’m another who loves winter. My favourite season is Autumn, then winter and Spring , and lastly summer. I dislike the heat, crowded places, suncream , barbecues etc. Too many visitors,

In winter I love my woodburner, delicious stews and soups, woolly jumpers, my onesie, wellies , cosy evenings, winter walks, Christmas craft with GC. Christmas and all it entails.

I would hate to live in a country with no seasons.

Another one who could be me! I lived in Australia for two years and missed the English seasons dreadfully

PECS Thu 08-Oct-20 09:00:58

Oh when travel is OK again I would recommend the Hurtigruten ferry trip in Janary! and yes we did see the northern lights...but stayed up almost all night to see them..It was not a big display but exhilarating and stunning nevertheless!

M0nica Thu 08-Oct-20 17:48:28

I just find summer so dull, all those green leaves usually covered with dust and looking tired and sad. I also really do not like summer clothes, so insubstantial and somehow always creased.

I am so happy to be back in clothes I feel warm comfortable and smart in.

PECS Fri 09-Oct-20 08:34:19

M0nica I now have an image of a person with a feather duster cleaning leaves & wearing a cheesecloth dress ???

Callistemon Fri 09-Oct-20 11:04:55

I like summer clothes, just three or four items and a pair of sandals and hey presto! You're ready to face the day.

Callistemon Fri 09-Oct-20 11:07:26

It was glorious this morning and I was going to suggest a day at the coast to DH after our grocery shop arrived.
It's now pouring with rain.

However, yesterday we saw the leaves are changing colour when we went out so I hope we're in for a beautiful display this year.

Maggiemaybe Fri 09-Oct-20 15:23:15

True about the summer clothes, Callistemon. It’s a bit of a pain wearing/carrying the gloves, scarves, umbrellas, hats, etc. And at the moment, sunglasses as well. smile Though at least we can forget the sun cream.

M0nica Fri 09-Oct-20 15:55:27

PECS I must try that sometim! I have never ever worn cheesecloth, I prefer clothes made from more substantial materials. smile

Callistemon Fri 09-Oct-20 15:56:38

I have reactolite varifocals, so when I go indoors I look like a Mafioso as they don't react very quickly.