Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(87 Posts)
12Michael Thu 08-Oct-20 06:14:35

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and its wet here in Brackley this morning .
My usual escape on the buses this morning going via Buckingham to Bicester then return direct .
A favourite cafe in Bicester for a coffee and a snack , small shop tending to look up gift cards for Xmas presents .
Take Care ,
Mick

Nortsat Thu 08-Oct-20 07:52:49

Good morning Mick and the GM team from an overcast east London.
Our water supply was out for about 12 hours on Tuesday/ Wednesday. Thames Water, our supplier advised that they had a burst pipe on Hackney Marshes. It was in a heavily wooded area and was a 42” diameter pipe, so the ground was flooded too. They had to repair the pipe in the dark, the wind and the rain. I was lying snug in bed, thinking about the people doing that difficult work at 12.30 at night.

By 7.00am, it was all back in working order. What a joy to flush and not worry.
In the meanwhile my dear neighbour had rung the doorbell and brought us 2 x 5litres of bottled water.

Thinking of our missing friends Bluesapphire, Gilly and those on (what Marydoll calls) the ‘norty’ step. ??
Good thoughts to those facing challenges today.
Stay warm and safe team ... ?

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 08-Oct-20 07:54:23

Wet and windy so far in Oxfordshire, dog sitting for a couple of days , so some wet walks are promised, but she will be fun to look after.
Apart from that nothing much happening today.
Take care everyone and stay safe.

brook2704 Thu 08-Oct-20 07:55:10

Good morning everyone from a dry and cloudy Inverness. I really hope it’ll stay dry today, it’s rained so much this last week everything is so soggy looking and miserable. The River Ness is high and very fast flowing and there are some beautiful waterfalls to visit but we’ve not done that yet- hopefully a trip at the weekend!
I had a lovely lunch at a local hotel yesterday for my friends birthday treat - our last chance for a wine with lunch before the new restrictions come in ...
Lovely news for your DD scentia
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today, especially those with worries and struggles and our missing posters. Take care all whatever the day brings ?

brook2704 Thu 08-Oct-20 07:59:20

Sorry to hear about your good friend dragonfly condolences

Gingster Thu 08-Oct-20 08:02:07

Good morning and it’s a bit breezy out there. No rain as yet.

Thanks for all your tips yesterday on the wearing of varifocals. I’m slowly getting used to them , so I’m hopeful.

You will miss your son .* Grandmattie* . Hope all goes well with his testing etc.

Lovely news about your DD Scentia .

I’ve got Bowls group this morning and maybe art class this afternoon. I haven’t been for so long, I’ll see how I feel .

Wishing you all a peaceful, pleasant day. ???

Urmstongran Thu 08-Oct-20 08:12:47

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga ?

No text message yet from the Covid warriors (which calms me when I check my phone first thing in a morning).

Such weird dreams last night. I think my low grade anxiety about my family is the reason.

I’m having a cuppa on the balcony now so will settle back to read all your posts. Hope Thursday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Elizabeth1 Thu 08-Oct-20 08:18:00

Hurrah there’s the sunshine creeping out now the curtains are open as I’ve said before it fair lifts the spirits flowers have a good day everyone

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-20 08:20:35

Good morning all from a grey Glasgow. A quiet day for me. The last two days have been busy, but enjoyable and I'm pretty wiped out!

We had a lovely, if bracing day out in Troon yesterday. Sadly many of the independent shops had closed down and were lying empty. Victims of the virus, perhaps. Unfortunately I couldn't abandon DH in the whisky shop, as I usually do, while I window shopped, as it was no more! ☹️

Also we had a delicious lunch in a very well organised, socially distanced restaurant, where you had to book.
For me, frito misto and a tablet ice cream sundae. I was fit to burst!!!
It had been a gift from DS and DIL last Christmas, which had gone out of date, but the restaurant kindly extended it, when I explained I had been shielding.

It was fortuitous that we went yesterday. We came back to hear NS putting us effectively into semi slow lockdown again. The increased numbers are terrifying.
Fortunately next week is mid term and schools are closed, so that may help slow down the virus.
I will be confined to barracks for the foreseeable future.

Borrheid, despite living in Troon many years ago, I have never been in Piersland Lodge. Dreaming of when I would be rich, I used to walk past it and the stunning houses in the South Woods daily on my yomp with the pram! Those were the days, when I was SLIM and FIT!!?
We did pass it yesterday, so impressive!

Corner, good luck today and best wishes to ann sixty, who is finally having a hip replacement tomorrow.
Dragonfly, what sad news about your friend.?
I messaged Gilly, but so far, she hasn't responded. This is the longest she has stayed away and I'm very worried about her.
Two of the naughty people have been in touch and thank you all for your support.

Take car everyone and stay safe!

cornergran Thu 08-Oct-20 08:24:04

Sad news about your friend dragonfly, sending love and a hug flowers. Look after yourself.

Urmstongran Thu 08-Oct-20 08:27:57

Sending condolences to you dragonfly - so sad.
?

Lins1066 Thu 08-Oct-20 08:32:51

Good Morning Mick and all from a damp S Welsh coast. It rained heavily overnight but looks as if it may brighten up. Hope so as I am having my eyes tested later this morning. Hope all goes well today corner and you will feel better after the physio. Sorry to hear about your friend dragonfly ?
Hope your family are ok * Urm*.
Take care everyone and have a pleasant day.

Susan56 Thu 08-Oct-20 08:42:35

Good morning from Shropshire.It has been raining overnight, brightening up now but very breezy.

Another day at home today.Will make sure all laundry,housework and admin is up to date as we have a busy few days ahead with the grandchildren so won’t have time/energy to do anything else.

Sorry to hear about your friend dragonfly?

Hope your appointments go well today corner and good wishes to Ann for tomorrow.

Cherry, hope that you are feeling better and taking it easy?

Thinking of gilly and all with illness,struggles and worries.

Oldbutstilluseful Thu 08-Oct-20 08:49:17

Good morning from a wet and windy N Hants. Such a mixture of good and sad news, all the world on a single thread.

I hope things improve for all who need it.

Loved the picture Marydoll, thank you. I so hope I get the opportunity to visit Scotland at least one more time. A beautiful country with lovely people.

I’m off out today accompanying a friend who has decided it’s the time to start decluttering. She inherited 2 households and has found it hard to part with things other people thought of as precious. It will take a long time to decide what to do with everything.

A shout out to mancgirl who so kindly responded to my request yesterday.

Stay dry, stay safe everyone.

MellowYellow Thu 08-Oct-20 08:51:08

Morning from a very mizzly south Cornwall. Am hosting my granddaughter's 5th birthday party, just close family, here on Saturday so already sorting my two rooms for that! Folding tables and an inflatable sofa will turn my craft room into a party place! Beauregard have you been on the Liskeard to Looe train? It reverses halfway along the track. Sorry to hear sadnesses this morning, but the happy news is always wonderful. The best of days to you all.

Jaxjacky Thu 08-Oct-20 08:51:36

Good morning Mick and everyone from a wet, windy and dark S Hants. Had my ears microsuctioned yesterday, different from the usual syringing which I’ve had done for many years. I was offered to see the wax that had come out! But declined. No such adventures planned for today, Sainsbury’s delivered yesterday, so all stocked up, a day of cleaning and tidying methinks. Enjoy your days out those venturing, dragonfly46 sad news for you.
Have a calming day all, especially those absent.

Anniebach Thu 08-Oct-20 08:53:57

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Nannytopsy Thu 08-Oct-20 08:59:19

Good morning Mick and the gang.
It’s wet and windy in Suffolk, as forecast, so I shall iron in front of the TV. If it dries up this afternoon, we hope to do some landscaping in the garden.
Lovely news Scentia ?.
DH went to hospital about his ulcerated legs and saw someone in whom he had confidence. There are positive steps which can be taken so he has some hope.
Keep safe everyone and I hope the day is kind to us all.

Beauregard Thu 08-Oct-20 08:59:20

MellowYellow I haven't been on the Liskeard to Looe train. I won't get chance on this occasion but maybe it's one for the future.

Dragonfly sorry to hear about your friend. So sad.

GrannySomerset Thu 08-Oct-20 09:02:32

Windows streaming with rain this morning but as we have friends coming for a cup of coffee we don’t need to go out in it. Like many of us, I am gloomy about what the next few months will look like but will count my blessings because at least we are not worrying about our jobs and homes. It is hard to remain positive though.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Oct-20 09:06:44

dragonfly my condolences ?

Nannytopsy Thu 08-Oct-20 09:07:32

Sorry to hear your news Dragonfly.
Very best wishes to Ann for tomorrow.

Grandmabatty Thu 08-Oct-20 09:16:12

Popped back to offer condolences to Dragonfly on the loss of her friend and best wishes to Annsixty for tomorrow.

Gelisajams Thu 08-Oct-20 09:19:30

Good morning from a now dry Morecambe Bay after a very wet night. Yesterday we intended to walk to one of Yorkshire’s waterfalls, but despite a good forecast it was obvious it was going to be raining there as we got nearer. We deliberated over our packed lunch and eventually decided on plan D about 20 miles away but another waterfall walk.
What a great decision. At the Falls the salmon were leaping. An absolutely amazing sight!
Lazy day today, lots of house work to catch up with. May do a bit in my garden for a change. My poor garden does get neglected.
We have had interesting water meters over the years Sar53 one which went backwards and one which didn’t register any movement. It took about 4 years for them to realise and replace the meters!
Take care and stay safe everyone?

dragonfly46 Thu 08-Oct-20 09:22:17

Absolutely - best wishes to Ann. Will be thinking of you all day tomorrow x

mancgirl Thu 08-Oct-20 09:26:16

Good morning from a sunny Manchester. Having my nails done this morning. One of the safest places I know. Temp taken on arrival, instructed to wash, then sanitise hands. Masks and gowns worn, hands washed and sanitised before leaving and the sweetest girl. If only everyone took the same precautions. Better choose a neutral shade, might not get out again after Monday! Walk later, compile my click and collect order and a few chores to do. Gousto meal for dinner. I do like them. Would love to get another trip to Scotland in before winter but between Scotland and Manchester not looking likely. Keep safe. Hugs for those who need one, flowersfor those with extra cares and worries. Special thoughts for Gilly and dragonfly today.