Gransnet forums

Chat

the biggest Mars you'll ever see on Tuesday night

(36 Posts)
infoman Tue 13-Oct-20 09:30:01

This week will be the best chance to see Mars till 2035,
thats the year and not the time.
The planet will be visible in the eastern Sky.
Eastern Sky?
If you look straight at a domestic sattelite dish,and raise your right arm to an horizontal position.That will be east.

sunseeker Tue 13-Oct-20 11:52:24

Reminds me of the time someone recounted the time he met Colin Pillinger (he of Beagle 2 fame) - the person being interviewed said when he met him he had a small piece of Mars in his pocket and I immediately wondered why he was carrying a piece of a chocolate bar around with him (shows how my mind works!)

CraftyGranny Tue 13-Oct-20 11:56:43

Mars has been visible for the past couple of weeks, really clearly here in the North West. Our back door is east facing, Mars is there shining brightly through the window. It is beautiful
If you turn 90 degrees to the right you will also see Jupiter and Venus, Jupiter being the very bright one. Also Uranus will be just to the left of Mars but hard to spot. I do like looking at stars.

leeds22 Tue 13-Oct-20 12:17:22

Thought chocolate, then cholesterol and then red planet. Hope the clouds clear.

Kryptonite Tue 13-Oct-20 14:37:18

Great! Saw it the other night (while looking for meteor birthdays) and thought it had a hint of red.

MayBee70 Tue 13-Oct-20 14:40:41

Is it just my eyesight but for a long time now Mars looks as though it’s split into two, like Saturn and looks more conical than round.

MellowYellow Tue 13-Oct-20 15:14:37

Thank you, will take a look but not going by my satellite dish which faces the other way!

MayBee70 Tue 13-Oct-20 20:02:48

Darn it. It’s really cloudy here tonight.

dustyangel Tue 13-Oct-20 22:45:19

Clear and bright here in Portugal and good to put a name to some of the myriad stars we can see.

merlotgran Tue 13-Oct-20 22:56:29

Too drizzly and cloudy in my neck of East Anglia to see anything.

Toadinthehole Wed 14-Oct-20 10:43:21

We looked last night. It was cloudy, not a star to be seen....except one, shining really brightly through the clouds. It was Southeast of our house, and had a slightly orange glow. Made me feel quite emotional.