Chat

R.I.P. Yorkshire Pud.!

(53 Posts)
Rufus2 Tue 13-Oct-20 12:57:13

As a life-long Lancastrian ticket holder I thought this clever! {grin}

Yorkshire Pudding
(Courtesy “The Oldie” Mag)
. (Oliver Pritchett)

Isn’t time we waved Ta-Ra to the Yorkshire pudding?
Can’t we just agree that this batter concoction is simply toad-in-the-hole that has been deprived of its rightful sausage? Originally it was an aid to economising, served as a first course with gravy, to fill people up so they weren’t so hungry for the pricey meat that followed.
This echo of hard times up North does not really fit in these days with the comfortable setting of a middle-class Sunday lunch.
There is, of course, a great mystique about the precise recipe for the batter, a game of one-upmanship and an argument about whose Yorkshire pudding was more authentic.
I admit it can be fun to pour gravy into the sunken crater in the middle-but we must act our age and put away childish things like this.
The Yorkshire pudding has turned into a showpiece. How high can you make it rise? It must stand proud on the plate, a unique combination of the brittle and the soggy. (In fact it probably came from the supermarket freezer rather than from a recipe handed down through generations of Cleckheaton grannies.)
Worst of all, this dish has been taken hostage by the purveyors of the “traditional Sunday roast”. Pubs dish up monstrous , teetering towers of roasted batter, like stunted Pisas. The two veg, the sickly potatoes and the meat cower at their base. It dominates! - It comes with everything - beef, lamb, pork and chicken. The whole of Yorkshire must surely wince.
The pub landlord knows that it is, at least, fulfilling its function of dulling the appetite, deceiving us customers into feeling satisfied. So it’s good for profits. As they say, back at the brewery, where there’s batter, there’s brass!

BlueSky Tue 20-Oct-20 17:56:30

Rufus no Australia’s success in containing the ‘second wave’ will help us believing that we too will succeed. We’ve seen it in Europe in March, desperate figures everywhere, then back to more normal life. Now same again, but one country’s success is hope and inspiration for others. So do get those letters out of mothballs! Cheers! wine wine

Rufus2 Wed 21-Oct-20 10:20:34

I was starting to feel a part of GN when up pops a reminder that I don’t belong
Blossoming Welcome! smile
I've a feeling I've upset you, but whatever it is it was inadvertent.
Of course you belong! We all belong, each of us being a part, albeit in our own individual way, of the whole, namely Gransnet!
You must agree that life would be pretty dull if we all spoke and acted the same way! sad
For example, I saw what I thought (as a Mancunian!) to be a funny article on Yorkshire Puds, so I'm the OP, for what it's worth, intending for it to be humorous, tongue-in-cheek etc. hmm
Some posters hve chosen to be serious about Pud recipes, which they're entitled to do of course, although they could open another thread for that!
I hope I've misunderstood your post and therefore waffling on for nothing, but just in case, I'll plagiarise Nat King Cole and "From the bottom of my heart, I apologise etc!)

Perhaps it could be the start of a blossoming friendship!? wink
Good Health
OoRoo