Gransnet forums

Chat

1000 words. Photos on GN.

(1001 Posts)
Ellianne Fri 16-Oct-20 10:25:24

They say a picture paints a thousand words and there have been some lovely photos on GN recently. I am a visual person and, especially at this time, pictures cheer me up. Autumn scenes, people's gardens, cake baking, craftwork, pets, clothes we fancy buying etc. Even stock images of Boris, royalty etc.
What is the general feeling? Are they superfluous or do they add another dimension? Are we "allowed" to just drop them into a non photographic thread?

lemongrove Wed 21-Oct-20 21:27:26

A few pics taken recently
A gift of roses
A gift of an owl from DGS, taken at the start of lockdown
On duty hare (Harold) in back garden.

lemongrove Wed 21-Oct-20 21:29:54

Some posters have real photography talent, the sunsets, rainbows and sunrises are stunning.

Spangler Wed 21-Oct-20 22:55:31

In the 1950's I would spend my long school holidays with my paternal grandmother. Granny had a fish & chip shop, this was back in the days when fish & chips were wrapped in newspaper. My grandmother spoiled her grandson something rotten. How I love and miss her to this day.

One of her retail neighbours, George, or as it was back then to a small boy, Uncle George, ran a very busy cafe. Not a greasy spoon transport cafe, although lots of delivery drivers ate there, but a canteen style eatery, where office staff rubbed shoulders with both industrial and managerial types.

Uncle George had a juke box, when a record was on it's way down the charts, a new one, climbing up would replace it. I would be given that old record, complete with it's dust sleeve.

Sad to say, I didn't have any means of playing it, but I still took much pleasure from simply looking at it. Uncle George seeing this, gifted me a huge record collection of pre-war, African/American records, by artists unheard of by most on this side of the pond.

Years later, and by now a young man, I managed to afford a second hand Dansette record player. How I enjoyed those records. When I was about 21, maybe 22, granny sent me letter telling me of Uncle George's passing. Despite the lapse in contact, I still felt the pang that bereavement is.

Granny also added that Uncle George had left me something in his will. Oh my, what a wonderful surprise.

Stephenmarra Thu 22-Oct-20 00:15:47

Wow ! That is one special bit of kit I would love to have that sitting in my living room. envy envy envy
Uncle George must have thought a lot of you.

Bellanonna Thu 22-Oct-20 06:42:36

Lovely story, Spangler

Bathsheba Thu 22-Oct-20 08:18:16

Such a wonderful story Spangler - does the jukebox still work?

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 08:26:57

I loved your story Spangler!
?

Puzzler61 Thu 22-Oct-20 08:42:18

I love it too.
It reminds me of a cafe in town long ago where the teenagers used to gather on Saturday mornings. It was the “cool” place to
be seen.
Is it working now you have it Spangler ?

silverlining48 Thu 22-Oct-20 09:07:46

Having a go at this photo of beach huts I took on a sunny day last month, not sure if this will work.....

silverlining48 Thu 22-Oct-20 09:08:16

Ureka

silverlining48 Thu 22-Oct-20 09:08:32

Eureka

Ellianne Thu 22-Oct-20 09:11:27

Well done silverlining, a new technique discovered!
Lovely picture. I like stripey beach huts.

silverlining48 Thu 22-Oct-20 09:14:01

Thanks Ellianne I have mastered a new skill. I love beach huts too.

Greyduster Thu 22-Oct-20 09:51:57

I really look forward to seeing these photos every day!

Ellianne Thu 22-Oct-20 09:52:52

More beachuts, a whole wall actually.

Greyduster Thu 22-Oct-20 10:24:01

One man and his dog.

Greyduster Thu 22-Oct-20 10:28:35

Drat! I posted the wrong photo!

Callistemon Thu 22-Oct-20 10:32:25

Lovely photos even without the man and his dog,
Greyduster
smile

Ellianne Thu 22-Oct-20 10:33:32

Snap!
But one woman and her dog!

Greyduster Thu 22-Oct-20 11:12:05

I’ll offer a prize (a packet of fruit gums - I’ve opened it but most of them are left!) for whoever spots the man and his dog!

Bathsheba Thu 22-Oct-20 11:14:50

I claim my prize Greyduster grin

Seriously, though, they are both great photos!

Greyduster Thu 22-Oct-20 11:52:32

I was thinking this morning what a wonderful invention digital photography is. All those packs of photos and negatives, many of which were awful so they went straight in the bin, although you had paid good money to have them developed; all that fiddling about with rolls of film.

Ellianne Thu 22-Oct-20 12:50:32

I can see the dog. In one photo it's next to the man, in the other it's behind him.

Purplepixie Thu 22-Oct-20 12:55:50

One lonesome teasel. Watercolour painted for a card for a friend.

Lisagran Thu 22-Oct-20 14:12:35

That’s lovely, Purplepixie

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion