Gransnet forums

Chat

Wouldn’t be seen dead in

(248 Posts)
Lucca Tue 20-Oct-20 09:59:33

Watching repeats of the great British sewing bee(even though I don’t sew). They made a blouse with a pussy bow tie. I realised I’d never ever wear one. What would you never wear ?

Poppyred Tue 20-Oct-20 11:12:41

Anything beige....
Bikini
Crop tops
Anything above the knee
Leggings
Stripey tops
Anything from Cotton Traders or Damart....
Leather...except for Boots and shoes
Anything sleeveless on its own
Anything with a plunge neckline
Nighties with flowers on....

Lucca Tue 20-Oct-20 11:13:46

However I do like denim. A smart denim dress is lovely and I wear a denim jacket now with my 2 Zara dresses.

Chewbacca Tue 20-Oct-20 11:14:08

I've just looked at that link M0nica and would like to add bedjackets to my list. Does anyone wear one?

Aldom Tue 20-Oct-20 11:18:13

Oopsadaisy4 I saw that dreadful dress too. I quite agree. It looked like an outfit for Halloween. Usually JS looks very attractive.

CherryCezzy Tue 20-Oct-20 11:31:23

Oh... and those massive 1980s shoulder pads, yuk.

Callistemon Tue 20-Oct-20 11:37:47

Most things mentioned on here which doesn't leave much does it.

It's a good thing this is not video-linked grin
I am wearing a long knitted cotton jumper and some rather graceless M&S pull-on soft cotton tapered trousers.
Comfy!

Liz46 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:42:46

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the big, black bin bag on Rip Off Britain. Someone should have stopped her.

Lucca Tue 20-Oct-20 11:47:23

Callistemon, that sounds just fine. My feeling sad at home outfit today so far is pyjamas with a wonderfully soft pink hoodie.

Riverwalk Tue 20-Oct-20 11:49:33

M0nica

Lucca the clothes people think are appropriate for people of a particular age, especially older women. You see the adverts in the weekend newspapers and colour supplements.

A frind wears them, and looks very suitably dressed, She recommended this company to me. www.countrycollection.co.uk/ladies . Age approriate clothes of a style I would not be seen dead in.

Oh, dear - the skirts are particularly awful!

Lucca Tue 20-Oct-20 11:51:38

Liz46

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the big, black bin bag on Rip Off Britain. Someone should have stopped her.

I just looked on catch up. I think they all wear horrible clothes and I hate the the pretending to be blond look!

Ramblingrose22 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:56:11

Sequins
Stiletto or vertiginous heels
Platform shoes
Cold shoulder tops
Plunging V-necks
Mini skirts
Denim skirts
Mohair, angora or wool - they make me itch

travelsafar Tue 20-Oct-20 11:56:22

Leggins, too clingy, a bikini, anything with a yellow hue to it, makes me look ill, a mini skirt and defo not leathr trousers!!!
The list is endless really smile

TheFrugalPiggy Tue 20-Oct-20 11:57:01

Animal prints of any sort. Horrid.

Ripped jeans. Stupid.

The colour yellow. It looks awful on me.

TerriBull Tue 20-Oct-20 12:08:02

I'll second thongs! all wrong imo, even when only that top bit is visible, it still conjures up a myriad of horrors, in that builders bum, what's been seen can't be unseen sort of way, and so uncomfortable I imagine shock

Other than those, crocs, fleeces, pleated skirts in the Barbara Woodhouse mode, can't imagine she ever had a thong on under her sensible attire shock but you never know! Old lady stuff from yesteryear.

Going to the other extreme, very short tight skirts on women of a certain age. I do remember when I regularly took another child to school with my own when they were very young, dropping him off at his home one afternoon, his nana came tottering out it in skin tight leather trousers and vertiginous heels, immediately opened up a whole new vision of a new age granny, couldn't imagine either of mine adopting such a style even if they'd lived in different times grin

Esspee Tue 20-Oct-20 12:16:10

Nightie/pyjamas

EllanVannin Tue 20-Oct-20 12:21:16

Jeggings ! Oh dear, very Max Wall-ish. Under trousers if it's cold but not showing all the lumps and bumps if worn as tights. Not flattering !

Gloria Hunniford always looks nice with necklaces matching her clothes. My type of dressing. I couldn't imagine her in jeggings grin

Grannybags Tue 20-Oct-20 12:30:48

Lucca

Nearly forgot....those fleeces with “scenes” on....howling wolves etc

I agree! Never seen anyone look good in one.

Cut off wide leg trousers. Tall, short, fat or slim never seems to be a good look

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 20-Oct-20 12:36:41

I must add dungarees to this list. I don't mind an asymmetrical neckline but can't stand jumpers down past one shoulder. Ditto what I call dippy hemlines. Knotted scarves around head like those worn during WWII for those doing war work. I'm so glad someone has mentioned those ghastly fleeces with howling wolves/landscapes on them. Who designed them? I mean really, they should be put away for their own safety.
I hate that hairstyle where the front part is clipped back - so unflattering. I wouldn't be seen dead in stiletto heels, bright yellow, orange or sequins. Oh, and onesies.

Gwyneth Tue 20-Oct-20 12:46:01

Does anyone remember shell suits??

Blossoming Tue 20-Oct-20 12:48:30

MOnica I would literally rather wear a bin bag than any of those ‘Classic’ garments shock

LauraNorder Tue 20-Oct-20 12:48:47

Drop shoulder leopard print top, tight leggings, bright pink socks, white sling back stilettos, false eyelashes, massive hooped earrings. Perfect outfit for the Argy.

Rainwashed Tue 20-Oct-20 12:58:41

Pola neck jumper, find them uncomfortable .Bikini or mini skirt as don’t have the figure for them.

MawB2 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:02:09

. Oh, and onesies

I am so glad someone has mentioned those! grin

TrendyNannie6 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:08:18

Crocs, anything yellow! Crop tops, above the knee dresses skirts, Ripped jeans boob tubes, pig tails, garish eyeshadow thick black eyebrows,

TrendyNannie6 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:08:41

Oh and onesies never in million years