Gransnet forums

Chat

What are all the abbreviations???

(82 Posts)
riccib123 Fri 23-Oct-20 12:52:14

I have only recently joined but keep seeing letters in capitals within the headings that mean nothing to me. DH being one! Please can someone advise this novice as it feels like a closed group I cannot join. Thanks ?

suziewoozie Fri 23-Oct-20 15:17:57

Of course I could have saved myself typing the post by just posting WTF ?

sodapop Fri 23-Oct-20 17:49:02

I find them annoying particularly when a long post has a lot of these abbreviations.

grin sooziewoozie

DanniRae Fri 23-Oct-20 17:57:51

The one that confuses me is s-i-l as it can be sister-in-law or son-in-law.
I don't use any of the abbreviations. My husband is Mr R and everyone else I right in full - it's allowed! grin

nanasam Fri 23-Oct-20 19:32:05

I also find it takes longer thinking about what acronym to use than to type the word in full in the first place grin

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 19:34:10

Once we start branching out into exes, extended and step families I usually lose the will to live.

nanasam Fri 23-Oct-20 20:03:37

MissA don't you mean WTL? wink

lemongrove Fri 23-Oct-20 23:30:41

It’s getting late...moon TTFN

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 23:31:54

TC. smile

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 03:41:00

I think they are acronyms not abbreviations!
Surely abbreviations are things like “hubby” (aaargh) or “bro”

Rufus2 Sat 24-Oct-20 05:48:35

Surely abbreviations are things like “hubby” (aaargh) or “bro”

Surely "wifey" can't be an abbreviation!?
Whereas W.I.F.E.Y. can be and is an Acronym! grin
OoRoo

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 09:01:23

Exactly my point

Bathsheba Sat 24-Oct-20 10:25:30

No, Lucca, they are abbreviations; an acronym is something that can be pronounced as a word in its abbreviated form, e.g. SAGE (scientific advisory group for emergencies) or SEN (special education needs).

Bathsheba Sat 24-Oct-20 10:27:39

Meant to add: these days everyone has done away with the fullstops in between. A purist would write S.A.G.E and S.EN.

FannyCornforth Sat 24-Oct-20 10:52:01

suziewoozie

Is it true that schools don’t care about
spelling or grammar? Maybe I dreamed all those online spelling tests I gave my dgs during lockdown( sent by the schools) or the conversation last week with dgs2 about his leaning about pronouns, proper nouns, adjectives and best of all ‘propositions’ It really is unfair and inaccurate to dismiss what’s going on in schools like this.

The primary curriculum is obsessed with SPaG.
To the detriment of the rest of the English curriculum, particularly reading for pleasure.
Secondary couldn't care less beyond the basics.
And don't get me started on phonics...

Elegran Sat 24-Oct-20 11:36:42

Secondary can afford not to care less beyond the basics if Primary has taught pupils thoroughly. They expect to be able to skip past all that.

Anniezee Sat 24-Oct-20 11:38:55

Never really understood the need for abbreviations on here. I expect most of us come from a world before texting - just write the words out in full!!! smile

Bazwheat Sat 24-Oct-20 11:51:15

Right or write ?

DanniRae

suziewoozie Sat 24-Oct-20 11:57:53

Anniezee

Never really understood the need for abbreviations on here. I expect most of us come from a world before texting - just write the words out in full!!! smile

What and be deleted?

DanniRae Sat 24-Oct-20 12:05:55

Wow Bazwheat I think we on Gransnet stopped picking people up on using the wrong word = right or write? = way back. You won't be very popular if you carry on like that!
Just saying.........hmm

Elegran Sat 24-Oct-20 12:44:09

When our thoughts move faster than our arthritic old fingers it is much quicker to type MiL than mother-in-law (3 characters instead of 13) and take the easy way out. Not all of us can touch-type accurately either. Mostly we use one finger and have to look to see which keys we are tapping. Three cheers for abbreviations and acronyms!

sodapop Sat 24-Oct-20 13:00:02

MissAdventure

Once we start branching out into exes, extended and step families I usually lose the will to live.

There will be posts then that are just strings of letters MissA smile

grannypiper Sat 24-Oct-20 13:11:29

FFS may not be nice but sometimes it is the only words that fir the situation i.e yet another townie looking in through your window or leaving the gates open

Spangler Sat 24-Oct-20 13:22:22

suziewoozie

Of course I could have saved myself typing the post by just posting WTF ?

But Suzie, that's an acronym of an acronym.
Had you been around centuries ago when church law was the dominant law of the land, a little extra marital indulge would have landed you in court where, if guilty, you would be:
Found
Under
Carnal
Knowledge

Spangler Sat 24-Oct-20 13:29:35

Rufus2 Sat 24-Oct-20 05:48:35
^Surely "wifey" can't be an abbreviation!?
Whereas W.I.F.E.Y. can be and is an Acronym!^

W.I.F.E.Y?

I heard of wife.
Worries
Invited
For
Ever
And if she reads that I'm definitely in for a slap.

What about D.I.E.T?

Did
I
Eat
That?

Elegran Sat 24-Oct-20 13:33:15

I believe that is a recent back-explanation of the word, Spangler Other languages have similar terms for the act. No doubt our resident linguists could provide us with some examples to use, (until GN catches up and deletes them.)