Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(70 Posts)
12Michael Tue 22-Dec-20 06:15:53

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, looks like its wet outside here in brackley .
Today , my surgery nurse should be calling me this morning, before I embark on my last trip to Bicester before xmas .
Yesterday , a local junior school had made up hampers , and my name was drawn out , but I plan to share it with my younger brother when he visits subject to tiers .
Take care,
Mick

Ashcombe Tue 22-Dec-20 06:18:19

Good morning, Mick and all the other GM gang! It’s a dry and still morning in Torbay. Great news about the hamper, Mick!

Well, we seem to be well and truly isolated from the rest of the world at the moment! It makes me think of how other countries must have felt when their countries were boycotted in terms of trade, etc. We have to hope and pray that this is a temporary state of affairs.

Good news: I finally have my car back and it’s looking better than when I handed over the keys six weeks ago. They’ve even replaced the badge on the boot which I had damaged on another occasion! The hire car was good and the retracting mirrors and park assist facility were handy but I love my Fiesta Zetec Ecoboost and felt uplifted all day in having it back!

An early trip to Lidl beckons so I’ll look in again later. I hope we can learn to rejoice in the little things. Have as good a day as possible.

grandMattie Tue 22-Dec-20 06:25:37

Good morning from a dark, wet, windy E Kent.
How very kind of the school to make hampers, and lucky for you to receive one, Mick.
I gave in yesterday and made 21/2 dozen mince pies, one Bakewell tart for a neighbour and iced the Christmas cake.
I also washed the floors, a rare event in the Mattie household. I confused poor DH. You see he always vacuums the floors in a particular order. It would take an earthquake to change it. And I did! I asked him to start with the kitchen! Goodness me, what a catastrophe!!! I pulled his leg mercilessly.
Apart from that and the dreadful weather, I didn’t do much. Washing the floor reminded me why I don’t do it more often. It gives me terrible backache, still hurting now.
Hope today brings relief to those who need it. More laughter and fleeting joy for all. Stay safe. X

Bellasnana Tue 22-Dec-20 06:26:08

Good morning from Malta. The weather is a bit damp this morning but is supposed to clear up later. Still 19°C so not cold.

Mick how nice that you have won a hamper, it lifts the spirits when you get a surprise like that.

Today is my monthly trip to the nail salon. We still have to wear masks and adhere to Covid regulations, but the numbers are falling so fingers crossed it continues that way.

Flights from UK have been cancelled although there will still be repatriation flights for locals stranded abroad, like I was earlier this year.

Glad to hear you have your car back Ashcombe.?
Wishing you all the best day possible.☀️

Pantglas2 Tue 22-Dec-20 06:27:25

Morning Mick and congrats on that hamper - how festive!

I missed a couple due to my clumsiness whilst delivering cards on my Sunday trot for a newspaper ?- tripped over the tiniest step and landed in my nose ?!!

If you saw my overly generous embonpoint you’d swear it was physically impossible ? but suffice to say I now look like a scabby dog! My DD came over to see for herself and has accused me of having cheap fillers in my top lip! Trout pout is not becoming......

Spent the last two days feeling sorry for myself as DH reminded me that ‘at your age you could’ve broken your hip....’. Didn’t want to add to serious problems folks on here have so thought it best to lie low.....? thanks for your concern at my short absence, sicknote is in the post ?

Will catch up with you all later when I read your doings....

LauraNorder Tue 22-Dec-20 06:27:28

Good morning Mick, congratulations on winning a hamper, how lovely. Glad the practice nurse is going to call you, it will be good to get to the bottom of your problems of late.
Good morning all the rest to come.
I have impressed myself being awake at this ungodly hour, I didn’t realise that there are two 6 o’clocks in one day.
Can’t comment on Anglesey weather today as it’s pitch black out there but all is quiet do assume no rain or wind.
Doing a bit of an art challenge on line with some friends. This months word is ‘exotic’ so I think I’ll paint some sort of colourful cartoon style big bird. Will start on a green tropical background later.
Hope everyone is doing okay today, will pop back later to catch up.

cornergran Tue 22-Dec-20 06:27:59

Morning Mick, morning All. Dark in our corner of Somerset, looks wet from the little I can see. Been awake since silly o’clock, quite relaxed, listening to music, no point stressing. Finally a physio appointment today, I’m so pleased. Grocery collection this afternoon, that’s it for today so nothing stressful. Well done mick, that sort of win lifts the spirits. You do sound happy to have your car back ashcombe, good to know it’s all sorted. Off to make some (more!) tea. Have the best day you can everyone, special thoughts for those with heavy hearts. Please be careful out there.

Greyduster Tue 22-Dec-20 06:30:24

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Why am I up at silly o’clock? No idea! It’s still dark in South Yorkshire. Well done with the hamper, Mick! Enjoy it with your brother! We ventured out to M&S last night to buy a gift voucher, in a local shopping mall where all the other shops were shut! It was lovely. Marks was open until midnight, and only the food section was moderately busy. We have a couple of doorstep present deliveries to family today, and then that’s us done. Have a good safe day all!

cornergran Tue 22-Dec-20 06:31:06

Ouch pantglas. Good to see you back. Please listen to my be careful out there smile.

LauraNorder Tue 22-Dec-20 06:35:30

Crikey, I thought I was first and there you all are. Poor you Pant, that must be quite painful. No kissing on the lips from MrPant for a while.
Much empathy on the bad back grandMattie, pulled mine on Friday, still in agony, can’t reach down to bottom drawers and putting on my knickers, say no more.

Beechnut Tue 22-Dec-20 06:38:44

Good Morning everyone from Severnside where it’s wet and warm.
Enjoy your hamper Mick.
Awwch, Pant. I see you had a lot of sympathy from your loved ones?
I’ve got ironing today and wrapping the treats for my daughters dog. I had to buy some more as I can’t find the ones I had. Perhaps he will sniff them out when he is here next.
Thank you for the lovely things you said about your Christmas card yesterday.

I hope you all have a good day as you go about doing your last bits and bobs towards Christmas Day ?

aggie Tue 22-Dec-20 06:53:59

Good Morning all, it’s very dark. No idea of the weather but it seems still and quiet
Somebody in the street dropped something , at least that’s what I think because it was a loud thump noise wakened me , of course I had to get up to look out , but nothing !
I have to cook the ham , but too early to do it today I think ? It’s not for me , I am to be dining with my daughter , in my bubble , it’s for another house , seems I did it last year , I’ve no recollection,

brook2704 Tue 22-Dec-20 07:04:22

Good morning everyone from a cold and still dark Inverness, we had rain yesterday but today should hopefully stay dry.
Good news about the hamper mick enjoy it!
Ouch pantglas hope it’s not too painful ..
Had a lovely couple of surprise parcels delivered yesterday, DS sent a parcel of goodies from Switzerland, it had been posted at the very beginning of December and he’d been worried that it had gone missing. Then an hour or so later another parcel from DD1 in Cambridge with gifts and a fully iced delicious looking home made Christmas cake! I feel so fortunate that they both took time out of their busy lives to shop for gifts and my DD making and sending the cake.
Nothing planned for today but I’m going to enjoy watching the birds on the feeder outside the window and if I’m lucky the squirrels might pop into the garden to say hello.
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles today and hoping the day is kind. Take care all whatever the day brings ?

kittylester Tue 22-Dec-20 07:11:19

Morning all from a dark North Leicestershire and congratulations from me too for winning the hamper, mick. It does give one a boost. Let us know what the Nurse says.

A Sainsbury's order to complete today and Dh's presents to wrap today.

Grammaretto Tue 22-Dec-20 07:18:32

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. I think it's mild today. My toothache is no better so I have made a Dentist appointment later. Not been for over a year but I was assured the practice is very covid safe. I will be phoned beforehand to check I haven't any symptoms.
My Dsis's C'mas plans have been changed since her DGS's school friend has tested positive.
It will be a very different time for everyone but it needn't be sad.
How lovely to have that hamper to share Mick for when the time comes.
I hope you are not too sore pantglas

I have no big meal to prepare this year. (it has often been more than 20 around the Christmas table) I passed queues of anxious looking shoppers yesterday and felt quite relieved to not be one of them. grin

Sar53 Tue 22-Dec-20 07:20:18

Good morning from Essex by the sea where it is still dark. Yesterday was a miserable day, in more ways than one, hopefully today will be marginally better ?.
Well done on the hamper Mick, enjoy. Ouch Pantglas sounds painful, take care of yourself.
DD2 is having a large mole on her cheek removed this morning, but the surgeon has decided not to close the wound till the results of the biopsy are back, it could be two weeks time. 'No photos for me this Christmas' she told me last night. I shall now fret til I know she is home safe and sound later.
DH went shopping yesterday and managed to buy nearly everything we need, he said it was busy but no queueing to get in the shop.
Hopefully may get out for a walk today, apart from that no plans.
Have the best Tuesday you can, put a smile on your face and stay safe xx

Lins1066 Tue 22-Dec-20 07:27:58

Good morning Mick and all from the S Welsh coast. Hope your physio appointment goes well corner. Sounds painful Pantglas hope you are ok, a trip shakes you up.
I went to ice the Christmas cake yesterday but couldn't find any glycerin. On the plus side we saw our son very briefly as he called to collect Christmas presents. I had baked some mince pies so he took some for the four year old to put out for Santa on Christmas Eve. It made me feel very nostalgic remembering when he and his sister used to do the same.
Hope everyone will have a pleasant day, stay safe.

Susan56 Tue 22-Dec-20 07:28:55

Good morning from Shropshire.

Today is present wrapping day.It will take a while.

We are missing the Christmas church services.Our church is closed and isn’t doing anything online.We actually first met in the church and it has been a big part of our lives but have had no contact apart from a couple of newsletters since March.

Mick,congratulations on winning the hamper.

Pantglas,ouch?

Thinking of all with illness and worries.Hope Mr Doodle has had a better night and you too Cherry.Ellan, I hope that Ruby Lou is able to come home for Christmas.

Have a good day all and stay safe.

Susan56 Tue 22-Dec-20 07:32:54

Corner hope the physio appointment goes well and good luck at the dentist Grammaretto.

Thinking of your DD Sar and hoping the procedure goes well.It will be an anxious day for you, no matter how old our children we worry?

Gelisajams Tue 22-Dec-20 07:47:11

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where it is dry for once. Off to pick up my click and collect for 8.00am, minus one cauli.
Then the Santa Campa will be pressed into service as we deliver the last of the presents and DS3’s birthday present.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

brook2704 Tue 22-Dec-20 07:47:53

Thinking of your DD2 Sar and hoping all goes well. Try not to worry too much although I know that’s easier said than done ?

dragonfly46 Tue 22-Dec-20 07:49:11

Good morning from damp Leicestershire.

Three food deliveries today much reduced after Saturdays announcement and a three parcels pick up which I have been fretting about. I shall be relieved when everything arrives at my DD’s tomorrow.

Hope your DD’s. Op goes well today Sar.

Beauregard Tue 22-Dec-20 07:50:35

Good morning all. It's dry here in Derbyshire and looks like staying that way...until tonight!

Well done on your hamper win Mick My DH always says I'm lucky when it comes to winning in raffles, but as I say to him "you have to be in it to win it".

Ouch! Pantglas that explains your brief absence yesterday. My DH is the same grandMattie, he has his plan and likes to stick to it! It's good they're familiar with the vacuum cleaner though.

Yesterday I got most of the presents wrapped. It didn't take too long as there are a fraction of what I used to have. A reminder of how things change over the years. I just have DH's left to wrap, some of which are still in the car boot, but now he's retired i'm short of an opportunity when he's not around.

Today we're meeting DD, SiL and two DGS at the local Shipley Country Park so the boys can do the Elf Trail, which is a sort of treasure hunt. An outdoor activity we can do. We're not seeing them at Christmas so it will be good to spend some distanced time with them.

After that we're collecting the meat hamper I've ordered from a local butchers. It will feel a bit more like Christmas when we've got that - Turkey and all the trimmings.

Hope everyone has a good day today.

baubles Tue 22-Dec-20 07:59:27

Good morning Mick, morning all. It’s a cold and frosty morn here in S Lanarkshire.

Lucky you Mick, I hope there are some tasty treats in the hamper. Great news about your car Ashcombe, enjoy having it back.
Pantglas that sounds so sore!

I’ve some ironing which I must get on with today. The only times the ironing board had been used for weeks was for gift wrapping.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day.

Urmstongran Tue 22-Dec-20 08:00:04

Good morning everyone from a dry and mild South Manchester where the Pennines are clearly outlined over towards the west with a lovely strip of an apricot sunrise behind them. It bodes nice day ahead. x

I’m off to see the doctor in a couple of hours and as the surgery backs on to our youngest daughter’s garden I’ll see if she and the children fancy a walk around the local park - it’s only round the corner from them. We pass a coffee shop so could get takeaway coffees. After that home for lunch then off on the bus (!) to call in on my stepfather. I’ve wrapped his Christmas present (a jigsaw made up from a digital photo of him and my late mum taken in Spain about 4 years ago) so will take that round - with a bottle of single malt of course!

Ooh Pantglas bet that fall shook you up. You ought to take more water with it next time! Good luck at your long awaited physio appointment corner and it’s good you’ve managed to sort a dental appointment Grammaretto. Toothache certainly drags you down.

Hope Tuesday is kind to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x