Gransnet forums

Chat

Backhanded compliment? The things men say (lighthearted!)

(120 Posts)
nannafizz Wed 20-Jan-21 08:02:06

A few days ago I came downstairs and DH said ‘you smell nice . I thanked him & thought it must be hand cream or moisturiser as I hadn’t used any perfume. This morning he said over breakfast ‘you smell lovely’ , what is it? I held my hand out and asked if it was my hand cream . No , it wasn’t . Later he came into the bathroom as I was cleaning the bath . ‘That’s it , he said , the lovely smell . Turns out I often smell lovely , just like the bathroom cleaner?

honeyrose Wed 20-Jan-21 23:10:37

A male colleague at work once said to me “you look like a rock chick in those boots - they don’t suit you at all”.

gmarie Wed 20-Jan-21 23:26:09

Laughed at so many, but at 4allweknow 's reply especially. grin

Hellogirl1 Wed 20-Jan-21 23:41:00

Years ago, when my youngest sister was just 4, she came visiting with my mother. She was in the kitchen and said "I do like this house", as it was a dump I was amazed, till she followed it with "Isn`t it lovely and dirty?" To be fair, we`d recently had a fire in the kitchen and hadn`t redecorated yet, plus there was a hole in the ceiling.

justwokeup Thu 21-Jan-21 02:57:54

FannyCornforth is it possible we are sisters? My DM used to say when I went to the hairdresser 'have a lot chopped off and then it might look nice'.
123kitty DH is not very well so I don't want to wake him and I can't sleep - your DGD has made my eyes stream and I'm shaking with silent laughter under the covers! My now AC in the first week at school said 'I was crying and my teacher was giving me a cuddle but I didn't feel much better because she didn't smell like you, she smelt of perfume'. hmm. I smelt of baby spit up, I presume!

Jillybird Thu 21-Jan-21 04:29:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shysal Thu 21-Jan-21 07:26:16

MIL thanked me for the smocked velvet cushions I had lovingly made for her. She then told me I was lucky to be able to make presents to save money. She then hid them inside some cheap orange faux fur covers.

Squiffy Thu 21-Jan-21 07:38:36

Shysal That was to keep them safe from harm or fading! ??

shysal Thu 21-Jan-21 09:51:23

That is what she said Squiffy! She also kept the polythene on the seat cushions of her new sofa!

Lizbethann55 Thu 21-Jan-21 11:19:33

When I was 15 my next door neighbour, who was a dear family friend and a lovely man, told me I was "homely". I am sure he meant it as a huge compliment, but how many 15 year old girls want to be called "homely" !!!!!!!

Lettice Thu 21-Jan-21 12:07:22

Prior to lockdown, I was visiting a friend who was looking after one DGD and was going to pick up the other one from school. The little one opted to stay with me, and then said - "You can stay till Dotty comes back and then you can go away"

diygran Thu 21-Jan-21 12:53:40

I was working in kitchen and MIL joined me. We chatted then out of the blue she turned to me and said "you do have small breasts don't you".
I was astounded and said nothing.

As she was small, dumpy with big bosoms I always wish I'd said " but I'm tall and athletic." We never got on after that.

Youngatheart51 Thu 21-Jan-21 13:43:42

I used to work in a nursing home & one of my (favorite) ladies said to me "you'd be ever so pretty if you wasn't so fat!" ? My DH also comes out with classic one liners. Going through the checkout at Tesco a few years ago he was packing as I was getting ready to pay & the girl asked him if he needed a bag for life to which he replied (looking at me)" no thanks I've got one there!" The poor girl didn't know how to react! He'll often say something that causes me to look at him with my mouth open & he just says "Oh, did I say that out loud?" I wouldn't change him though! ?

GillT57 Thu 21-Jan-21 13:58:29

My Grandfather said to my cousin; "You don't look much like your Mother, she was such a pretty girl"

My Dad to Mum when she was walking about trying to get him to notice she had just got back from the hairdresser " Oh, have you just got back from swimming?"

ElaineRI55 Thu 21-Jan-21 15:18:06

A few years ago, when I was around 56, I took some of our grandchildren to the park across the road from us. I was pushing one of my granddaughters, aged about 7 at the time, on one of these swings that looks like a flying saucer. She said "You're very strong, granny" , which made me smile, but immediately followed up with "Most people your age couldn't even push this swing once".

shysal Fri 22-Jan-21 08:56:13

Rather like Lizbethann's 'homely', my future husband's family described me as 'wholesome'! I was not flattered.

NotAGran55 Fri 22-Jan-21 09:04:34

In a music club in my twenties a bloke came up to me and told me I looked like Ronnie Wood!

I wasn’t impressed but the chap was mortified and apologised profusely. He said that Ronnie was his idol and it was meant as a huge compliment. I did have an angular face and sticky - up hair so there were some similarities I guess .

Grandmabatty Fri 22-Jan-21 09:41:34

I've just remembered one! My mum would look at photos of me as a young girl,sigh and say,"you used to be so pretty."

Grandmabatty Fri 22-Jan-21 09:47:38

And another one! A friend of a friend who is known for gushing compliments particularly when drink has been taken effused about how gorgeous and young looking two friends were,then turned to me and said,"Batty, at least you have personality." ?

LadyJus Thu 28-Jan-21 05:10:15

An old boyfriend said " my perfect woman would have your personality and Angelina Jolies looks'.