Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(88 Posts)
12Michael Mon 25-Jan-21 06:07:13

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but cold and icy outside after yesterdays snow in Brackley .
Today , some housework ,and hopefully some post this morning .
I am slowly going to go through meals premade in the freezer plus my Parsley Box range as well .
Take Care,
Mick

Elizabeth1 Mon 25-Jan-21 08:04:51

Hi there I’m back on! My dh has just brought me a cup of tea he must be feeling a tad sorry for his early morning grumpiness I’m so pleased with him he’s a good sort really. I’m very lucky it can’t be easy for him since my stroke journey and this horrible lockdown. Can we please have a kind prayer this morning from those who do pray. Much appreciated smile

Gagagran Mon 25-Jan-21 08:07:16

Morning all! Late start for me from a chilly south coast. No snow but -1.4c on my electronic weather station.

Concerning news from DD yesterday as she was feeling worse but I am trying not to worry as DSiL is a Hospital Consultant so will know if and when to seek further help. He is feeling better but still chesty. DGS is sleeping a lot (not unusual for a 15 year old) and I am sure he will be OK. Hope for a better bulletin today.

Laundry day here, which brings back memories of Mondays, growing up in the 1950s. It was always "Monday wash day" and always cold meat and chips for tea or egg and chips if no joint left-overs. Wasn't a fan of cold meat from a joint then and still not keen! Egg and chips much nicer in my book.

Don't envy the snow and ice further north. One great plus for me, of living near the sea, so far south, is a milder climate after our years in the Pennines. where we had some fierce and long winters.

Keep safe and warm everyone and hope the jab appointments come today for those waiting. {sunshine]

Gagagran Mon 25-Jan-21 08:10:01

sunshine

Beauregard Mon 25-Jan-21 08:10:38

Good morning all. We weren't sure if we would get snow in Derbyshire yesterday as the forecasts gave conflicting information, but boy did we get some. We set off when it was at its worst to tend to the girls ? and they have never been so glad to see us. It was DH's first visit to them for two weeks since his op. He is walking a little further each day.

The tap at the yard was frozen solid but we had just enough water in a container to manage until today. Hopefully the temperature will rise enough during the day for it to thaw out so we can fill their water trough later, otherwise it's transport some from home in containers. I dread the thought as DH can't help at all at the moment.

Hope you feel better soon GrannyGravy and all who are feeling unwell today.
Have a good day and stay safe.

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 08:15:16

Good morning all from Glasgow, it was -5°°CC when I went to bed, now it's 2. Hopefully, I will manage a ten minute walk today.

Elizabeth, the Scottish envelopes will be blue, not white, our lovely postman will be busy this week. It will be just like Christmas, in more ways than one, as there are so many older people in our little development.

I have a Zoom lesson with Dollie today, but will restrict it to an hour, as it is quite tiring. Her dad sent us a video of her telling us that she fell of her chair and daddy thought she had broken her leg. That is the last thing she needs. If she was one of my pupils, I would call her, lively and that would be a restrained comment. ?
GM, great news about Iris!

I have plenty to keep me busy today, as I didn't get the sewing done. I also have our Parish safeguarding audit to complete, as its been hanging over me. There is a lot of information required, but it has been a bit problematic, as I'm doing it all remotely. Yesterday, I panicked, when I couldn't find the one I had stored to the cloud. It turns out the link had been sent to my Google account email! It made me realise how rusty my IT skills have become.

For the first time since I went into hospital three weeks ago, I did a little baking. I had a shortcrust pastry going out of date, which I couldn't bare to waste, so I made some coconut, jam tartlets and a few mince pies with the trimmings for DH.

To say I'm lucky to be here today is an understatement. Last night, I nearly set the kitchen on fire. When putting brandy into the hot skillet, I put too much and it went on fire, with flames shooting up into the cooker hood. ? DH froze! (Remind me never to rely on him in an emergency). I have to admit to freezing a little too. ?
There was smoke everywhere. What a shock I got, heart attack inducing ?, to say the least. However, I survived!!! Phew. I felt I had turned into a silly, careless, old woman. ?

GrannyGravy, make that call! I was just thinking last night that I hadn't had any chest infections this year. Usually, I have at least two a year, it must be due to being in solitary confinement since March! No- one to give me germs.
I keep a rescue pack at home for such events, antibiotics and steroids. Today may be a good time to ask your GP about that.
Sar, I hope all goes well for your daughter today. The camper van lunch is a great idea!.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Sheepandcattle Mon 25-Jan-21 08:16:49

Good morning Mick and all from and bright, icy Wiltshire. A productive day yesterday getting all the sheep jabbed and bollussed although by the time I finished, I don’t think I had a muscle that wasn’t aching! Today I just need to run them through the footpath and then onto clean fields. I kept the 8 rams in the shed last night as they were the last group to come in to be jabbed and will be the first to be foot-bathed this morning. As a gave them their hay and water I was chatting to them (as you do!) and wished them all a pleasant ‘boys night in’ I had the image of them sitting around watching a Rambo video with a few cans of beer and an Indian takeaway ?! I think they’d have rather liked that!!! Had a new calf born last night - mother and baby doing well - so that makes it 14 out of the 29 in this group already done and dusted. Today we shall have to tag the 3 calves born over the weekend and register them.
Had FaceTime calls last night with both my sons and their families. My 18 month old GS likes to offer me things to eat on the phone ..... so I had to tuck into a small toy lorry, a plastic sausage and a piece of fluff he’d discovered between his toes, whist making appropriate chomping noises and muttering of ‘delicious’! I haven’t seen any of the grand children since August and despite my telling them to stop growing so quickly, sadly they are changing and getting bigger all the time and I feel so sad that I’m missing this big chunk of their lovely childhoods. Hey ho- we’re all in the same boat. Enough rambling, must crack on now so wishing you all a happy, peaceful day.

farview Mon 25-Jan-21 08:20:42

Morning everyone from a very cold Bolton..yesterday a 1.5hour walk across the golf course, snow quite deep in some places,got back home, made a cuppa,phone rang,my son asking if I wanted to watch our 4yr old hurricane sledging, "where are you" I asked.." at the far side of the golf course" was the reply...Oh no....did not feel like that long walk again....but of course I went and was glad...laughed so much at my fearless hurricane zooming down the slopes...
Keep safe everyone...keep smiling...?

NannyJan53 Mon 25-Jan-21 08:20:53

Good morning from a very snowy Black Country.

We would have been in Lincolnshire this weekend for my friends 60th! Obviously the party was cancelled. We may have been snowed in there! Hopefully we can visit and celebrate with her later in the year.

I had planned a walk today with my friend who lives nearby, will have to call her later to see if she is still keen. Very red sky here at the moment.

Chicken carcass simmering ready to make soup.

Wishing your DD well Gaga. flowers

Hoping gilly will be back with us soon. Thinking of all with health worries

Gingster Mon 25-Jan-21 08:21:34

Good morning and it’s bright but frosty here in Essex. The snow didn’t arrive yesterday .

Sorry you’re feeling ropey GG Hope you feel better soon. ?. Best wishes for your daughter Sar

I will walk to the fruit/veg shop today and stock up.
I finished watching The Bay, a strange last episode though!
Finding Alice is a bit odd but I’ll stick with it.
Just watched the first episode of Discovering Witches.

I’m reading the Graham Norton latest Home Stretch, and doing a bit of crocheting.
Just heard my cousin has tested positive and is quite poorly. They called an ambulance but didn’t take her in to hospital. Said she’s better off at home at the moment. She is a nurse at a Police Station.

Be careful out in the snow and ice. The last thing we need is broken bones. ?

Nanabanana1 Mon 25-Jan-21 08:25:02

Good morning everyone from a very cold and frosty Torbay, just looked out and my road looks like an ice rink so dog walk will be later today I think.
Not much planned just finish off Aldi click and collect order for tomorrow. Knitting and keeping warm later, oops just heard another car skidding that’s three so far and one lady falling over (I live in a hill) so keep safe out there everyone and have as good a day as possible.

Viridian Mon 25-Jan-21 08:28:20

Good morning from south Cornwall where it feels cold enough for snow but still none! The sky is clear and bright.

Elizabeth, I'll pray. Glad you got your cuppa. thanks

Excitement in Viridian Land today - first dental check up for over a year! Ooh!

In touch yesterday with my Norwegian cousin. We're close but managed to lose each other's contact numbers. It amuses me that he sends photos of Oslo in the sun, which of course he loves during their short summer, when I would love to see the snow!

Have the best day you can everyone.

Viridian Mon 25-Jan-21 08:31:21

If you like special effects Google: special effects guy at home with son.

baubles Mon 25-Jan-21 08:47:28

Good morning Mick, morning all from S Lanarkshire. We’ve been deep frozen for an age, I do hope it doesn’t last much longer, I’d love to get out for a long walk instead of just a tramp around the fields behind us. The dog loves her runaround there though.

Yesterday I made a chicken, ham, and potato bake using up leftovers and an apple and plum crumble with custard. Winter stodge but we really enjoyed it. To keep me company in the kitchen I listened to Art Malik reading The Bee Keeper of Aleppo which I’ll carry on with today, maybe I’ll start another crochet blanket.

DD FaceTimed twice yesterday, most of the children popped into view at some point which was lovely. On the other hand I have to practically beg DS to send me a photo of his children, they don’t do FaceTime. They couldn’t be more different.

Hope everyone has a peaceful day whatever it brings.

GrannySomerset Mon 25-Jan-21 08:49:24

Yesterday’s snow has more or less vanished to be replaced by heavy frost so possibly not very safe underfoot. Fortunately we don’t need to go out so probably won’t bother.

Usual inevitable laundry and possibly marmalade making on the menu. Not sure why I persist with marmalade since DH rarely eats it and we are unlikely to have people to stay any time soon, but I need to keep normal routines as far as possible to feel I have some control over life. I suspect others feel the same

ginny Mon 25-Jan-21 08:50:03

Good Morning all.
Very cold but the sun is up . Snow from yesterday still on the ground.
Like others I had videos of DGS in the snow. One showing a line of snow angels he had made and one where he is ‘belly laughing at the dog who is rushing around the garden in great excitement. Made me laugh too !
Made a simple draught excluder for the hall door, showed family on Wattsapp and promptly got orders for two more. So that is a job for today.
Our family Wattsapp quiz caused more laughter in the evening. We did a version of Richard Osmans Games Night.
I really needed those laughs as I have been feeling very low this last week.
Anyway must get going and keep myself busy.
Thinking of all who have troubles of any kind. Hope you all find a ?today.

Gelisajams Mon 25-Jan-21 08:50:27

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where hailstones now sit on top of the bit of snow that didn’t melt yesterday and the frozen ground. It looked particularly beautiful yesterday with the Bay reflecting a blue sky, and snow on the distant Fells. It may be similar today so may venture out for a short walk if it melts a touch. Not at 2pm though! We have a video call from a mortgage consultant as our fixed rate mortgage is coming to an end. We tried to apply on line but got a message saying our application could not be processed any further. Not sure what we did wrong.
No exercise this morning, my asthma is a bit off. I think it must be the cold or the dust from all the old bank statements from way back when, that I tore up yesterday.
Hoping lots of blue envelopes arrive. Is that just Scotland or the case in England?
For all with difficulties of one sort or another both who post and lurk.?
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Kalu Mon 25-Jan-21 08:57:45

Good morning from a perishing, frosty Glasgow?. A crimson sunrise, with a sunny morning, at least, is forecast?

Good news to look out for our blue envelopes containing vaccine appointments, which start rolling out from today.?

I haven’t done much baking for a few years but today I will make all bran bread. DD2 asked me for the recipe last week as she remembers enjoying this from her childhood.

Fingers crossed we all find something to smile about today. The simplest thing can make such a difference to our mood and helps us plod on.

Kalu Mon 25-Jan-21 09:02:45

Gelisajams. Those of us in Scotland have been informed about the blue envelopes. I don’t know what procedures will take place in the rest of the UK. Hopefully you will be notified soon?

Grammaretto Mon 25-Jan-21 09:04:11

Kalu mine has arrived!! but it was a white envelope. I open all mail anyway, I am so pleased to see the Postie!
It isn't until February but maybe the snow will have melted by then and I can get my car out.
smile smile smile

BlueSapphire Mon 25-Jan-21 09:06:09

Good morning everyone from a bright snowy morning in Northampton. Everything looks so pretty, but it must be treacherous out there. We have had another light covering of snow on top of yesterday's frozen snow so I won't be putting a foot out of the door, except to pop to the garage for tonight's tea from the freerzer.

Another day of the same: usual cleaning and tidying, reading, the daily crossword, tv, and more knitting. I have done the required number of rows for DD's scarf, but it doesn't seem long enough to me, so am continuing with it, as I have plenty of wool left.

Take care everyone, especially if you have to venture out, and stay safe.

Nortsat Mon 25-Jan-21 09:11:11

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London where it is sunny.
We had heavy snow yesterday and it laid for several hours but is now gone. I didn’t walk yesterday for fear of ice but I am sure the sun will warm the pavements today.

GrannyGravy I second Marydoll about getting a rescue pack of antibiotics and steroids. Your asthma plan may need amending, too.

Sláinte Mhath to all the Scots GNs for Burns Night.

Sheepandcattle, l laughted at your shared feast with your DGS, especially the delicious fluff he found between his toes.

Grocery delivery for us this morning and a walk this afternoon. Thinking of those facing challenges today and sending them good wishes. Stay safe and warm GNs and ‘let’s be careful out there’. ?

Alygran Mon 25-Jan-21 09:13:16

Good morning from North Yorkshire. Another bright sunny day after hard frost again later night.
Bed stripped and machine on. I’m hoping to get everything dry outside today.
I’ve lots of admin to do for my charity and hopefully will have chance for a walk before lunch to catch the post with the cheques.
It’s lovely to hear about the farm. I keep up with the Yorkshire Shepherdess on Instagram. Snowy times up there!
Have a good day everyone. Stay safe.

Georgesgran Mon 25-Jan-21 09:22:54

Good morning from Durham. It’s bitterly cold with a hard frost, but thankfully we’ve not had any snow.
Off for a ‘ramble’ with 3yo DGS this morning - he’ll be stopping to examine everything. Home later to warm through and complete online application for my first 70 driving licence.
Hope everyone stays safe. X

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-Jan-21 09:32:40

Marydoll & Nortsat I have a rescue pack with steroids and antibiotics at home always.

If I cannot get through to the GP or practice nurse I will start them (depends which receptionist is on duty, two are kind and understanding the others are not!)

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 09:34:15

Glad to hear it! What about saying to the receptionist that you have started them and of course steroids need monitored. wink
Hope you feel better soon.