Gransnet forums

Chat

Give a Fiver in Thanks for Vaccination

(32 Posts)
FarNorth Mon 15-Feb-21 00:19:48

A campaign whose site links to a number of charities where you can donate a fiver, after getting your vaccine.

www.highfiver.co.uk/

Witzend Mon 15-Feb-21 07:52:16

Is this definitely on the level? I am probably a horrible hardened cynic, but with so many scams about, I’d prefer to donate directly to a charity I know.

cornergran Mon 15-Feb-21 08:05:34

Agree witzend. We always prefer direct giving. It could well be legit, but surely more cost effective to give direct?

lemsip Mon 15-Feb-21 08:08:42

don't like the sound of this.

PippaZ Mon 15-Feb-21 08:56:47

Why not use a know charity collector like "Just Giving". It's a great idea but I would be worried about it.

GagaJo Mon 15-Feb-21 08:58:03

It's a great idea though. A fund where the money is used for treats for health service workers would be great.

Witzend Mon 15-Feb-21 09:26:30

You can always donate directly to your local hospital, too - at least I can. In fact I think this will be where my donation will be going.

FannyCornforth Mon 15-Feb-21 09:43:52

The website links to the Just Giving Pages of the following charities:
Crisis, the Trussel Trust, Age UK, Mind, and Barnados.

PippaZ Mon 15-Feb-21 09:49:15

Ah - thank you FannyCornforth. I will have another look.

BigBertha1 Mon 15-Feb-21 09:50:10

mmm doesn't sound right does it.

suziewoozie Mon 15-Feb-21 09:52:33

Don’t JustGiving take a cut? Just give direct as others have suggested- it’s really easy to donate online directly these days.

FannyCornforth Mon 15-Feb-21 09:54:30

I've looked at all of the various areas of the website and it looks legitimate to me.

FarNorth Mon 15-Feb-21 10:11:24

Thank you, Fanny.

I read about it in the online Big Issue, so I can't link to it but here's the article :

"A retired scientist waiting to get her Covid jab has launched a campaign asking those who have received the vaccine to give a fiver to good causes.

Heather Davidson, 72, from Edinburgh, kicked off the High Fiver campaign to boost charities helping people experiencing homelessness, food poverty and mental health problems.

She said: “I’ve been isolating since March and I’ll be very happy when I get the vaccine. I thought maybe we could harness that happy feeling to help people who have been affected by the pandemic.”

Davidson, who previously worked as a molecular biologist studying gene therapy for cystic fibrosis, has “roped in” family members to help her navigate the technology, something she said had been a “steep learning curve”.

The campaign asks people to share images of their hands with five things they want to do post-pandemic.

Since launching the initiative in January, donations have been flooding in from across the UK, with more than £1,000 raised so far."

I thought it was a nice idea, to donate to a charity as thanks for getting a vaccine.
If it gives anyone the idea to donate in a different way, rather than through this site, that's great too.

suziewoozie Mon 15-Feb-21 10:18:09

I agree that however you donate, it’s a good thing. I was just pointing out that JG take a cut and so your donation is worth more if you avoid their site.

FarNorth Mon 15-Feb-21 10:25:27

Indeed suziewoozie but if this campaign results in donations that otherwise wouldn't have been made, the charities do end up better off.

suziewoozie Mon 15-Feb-21 10:37:42

FarNorth

Indeed suziewoozie but if this campaign results in donations that otherwise wouldn't have been made, the charities do end up better off.

I’m not arguing that point at all am I? Do give over attributing things to me I never said.

BlueSky Mon 15-Feb-21 10:53:28

Sounds rather patronising. Surely if you want to give to a charity or hospital you do so without being prompted?

Tangerine Mon 15-Feb-21 11:04:11

If there is a way to donate, I'd definitely do so. Like others, I'd want to be careful to ensure I wasn't being scammed.

FarNorth Mon 15-Feb-21 11:17:30

The campaign hopes to prompt those who might not think of it.

People who've completely got their act together on charity donations needn't concern themselves.

Blossoming Mon 15-Feb-21 11:18:45

I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. I’d rather donate direct to smaller local charities who are really struggling at the moment.

H1954 Mon 15-Feb-21 11:27:31

I volunteer via a local charity to provide First Aid at a Vaccination Hub. I do not get any expenses for attending nor do I personally claim any travelling allowance. We are nothing to do with the NHS no we don't get paid either.

If people I meet on duty wish to give to our charity I give them details of our website, otherwise I say nothing.

I certainly would not give to the one in the OP, sounds dodgy to me!

25Avalon Mon 15-Feb-21 11:29:29

There was an article in The Edinburgh News on 21st January. It was set up by former chief of NHS Lothian and his wife, Heather whose idea it was. It appears to be legit but there are other charities you can give to that go direct to helping NHS staff if you don’t want to do Highfiver. Seems a good idea.

FannyCornforth Mon 15-Feb-21 11:30:23

It's not dodgy.
FarNorth I bet that you wish that you hadn't bothered...

FarNorth Mon 15-Feb-21 11:36:23

Too right, FannyCornforth.

GreyKnitter Mon 15-Feb-21 11:43:04

Thank you for the post FarNorth. I like the idea of donating to a charity in response to receiving my vaccine. I have looked at the link and whilst it looks fine, my chosen charity will be another that I like to donate to. It’s a great idea especially as charities are have such touch times right now. I’m off to do it immediately!