Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you love about gransnet?

(84 Posts)
grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 10:26:31

I’ve been on here about a month now, driven by lockdown and ill health. I’ve found places to read and cautiously enter into serious discussion, places to offer sympathy or advice when asked for, places just to laugh and enjoy others’ great sense of humour, and have dared to start a few threads, hoping to amuse and/or challenge others.
What do you love/hate most about this place?

BlueSky Sun 21-Feb-21 10:40:53

We can let off steam with nasty/sarcastic/unnecessary comments. Then we can be sympathetic and caring like an old friend. I like the mixture!

infoman Sun 21-Feb-21 10:43:01

Not being like Facebook and Twitter and not being infected with trolls.

Aveline Sun 21-Feb-21 11:03:53

BlueSky- I assume you're being ironic regarding 'letting off steam'?!

Sara1954 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:07:13

I like the book threads best, I dip in and out of things, but usually leave when things get nasty, which they do.
Lots of kind, wise people, lots of humour, and a sense of empathy

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 11:11:22

Glad you've joined grandmajet to keep you occupied, albeit at a weird time.
Like you I enjoy humour and laughs, but also commiserating and empathising with others. Praise, encouragement and advice is nice too in practical threads like gardening, cookery or decorating. I might be strange but I enjoy analysing writing styles as well.

BlueSky Sun 21-Feb-21 11:12:11

Aveline

*BlueSky*- I assume you're being ironic regarding 'letting off steam'?!

Aveline I try to be charitable, don’t know otherwise the reason behind some replies!

Redhead56 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:12:12

It can be company on your dark days it’s funny and supportive and hilarious when arguments start! Let’s face it we have all been on house arrest it’s a break from your partner if on your own it’s a godsend.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:17:17

I feel like I have met a whole lot of new friends from all over the country (and further afield). I enjoy browsing the chat while I have my morning coffee!

grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 11:17:34

Ellianne, were you a teacher? Analysing writing styles? Tell us more?
Is that in a literary way, or psychoanalysis?
I’m a bit scared to post now!
?

LauraNorder Sun 21-Feb-21 11:35:48

Hello grandmajet I have noticed you here and there, particularly your great sense of humour.
I like Gransnet because it’s full of diversity. Posters are sensitive or insensitive, passive or assertive, kind or downright horrible and we can all say our piece and, in the main, rub along together. This just wouldn’t happen in real life.
It stimulates and bores in equal measure. I find I’m drawn to some posters and put off by others and yet another day I find myself having a good laugh with my arch enemy.
I did look at other sites recently following a bit of argybargy over banning but found I’m happy here. Over all I do enjoy being part of Gransnet.

LauraNorder Sun 21-Feb-21 11:38:10

grandmajet

Ellianne, were you a teacher? Analysing writing styles? Tell us more?
Is that in a literary way, or psychoanalysis?
I’m a bit scared to post now!
?

I think you’ll find that the vast majority on Gransnet are or have been teachers. I’m not one of them though.

Puzzler61 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:41:42

Me neither.
The Grans make GN for me. It’s been like starting a new job and getting to know a new whole group of people.
Also the compassion, and the humour.

Jaxjacky Sun 21-Feb-21 11:42:30

I enjoy specific threads, dip in an out of others. It’s company, sometimes a sounding board and interesting hearing about others lives, even the seemingly mundane. There are some people and discussions I avoid, same as ‘real life’. The majority I’m grateful to for sharing their days, being supportive and their understanding.

BlueSky Sun 21-Feb-21 12:05:18

LauraNorden
“I think you’ll find that the vast majority on Gransnet are or have been teachers. I’m not one of them though.”
Laura a lot must have been head mistresses!

grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 12:08:17

Yes, I think that’s it. I have various groups of friends from different stages of my life, and a bunch of new ones from the home I’ve now lived in for the past 6 years, but almost feel that the ‘grans’ are a new set of acquaintances that I’m getting to ‘know’. I didn’t expect that.
You are as interesting and varied as my real life friends. I thought it would be much more one dimensional, not so interactive. It’s very odd.

grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 12:09:18

Surely LauraNorder must have been in the police force? Or a high court judge?

henetha Sun 21-Feb-21 12:11:35

It's endlessly fascinating to me, reading others opinions of everything under the sun. I love it.
Just don't like some people, in the minority, who seem a little unpleasant at time.

Blinko Sun 21-Feb-21 12:14:10

BlueSky

LauraNorden
“I think you’ll find that the vast majority on Gransnet are or have been teachers. I’m not one of them though.”
Laura a lot must have been head mistresses!

grin

Aveline Sun 21-Feb-21 12:20:05

BlueSky- letting off steam with unkind unpleasant remarks is what has led to posts/threads being deleted and Grans banned. You really have to watch what you write here.

nanna8 Sun 21-Feb-21 12:25:15

I like the variety and it isn’t over moderated despite what some say. Not yet anyway. There are some lovely people on here and they help each other.

Harris27 Sun 21-Feb-21 12:27:35

I like the way I feel I’m sitting with someone and part of something. I have been quite lonely even though my husband and son live with me I just need another female to talk to.

sodapop Sun 21-Feb-21 12:39:28

That's right Harris27 it's good to feel part of a wider community especially at present.

glammanana Sun 21-Feb-21 12:52:28

Grandmajet I have been a member of GN since day 1 and over the years made many virtual friends,I don't post every day but I always browse the forum most days.
Over the years GNers have been there through my DGCs births/marriages/and this last year the loss of my dearest OH,I would be lost without them they are such special friends.
Anyone I have not replied to I will get back to you when PMs are sorted by GNHQ.

maydonoz Sun 21-Feb-21 14:14:06

Hi Grandmajet
Welcome to you and it's good to hear you're enjoying being on GN.
I have been here myself for about a year and must say I like reading the varied and interesting topics and posts.
I found this site while I was searching for an alternative to FB and haven't gone back there yet.
Most days I read over the posts and contribute as and when I feel like it.
Glammanana, you say you've been here since Day 1, and I just wondered when that was.