Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you love about gransnet?

(85 Posts)
grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 10:26:31

I’ve been on here about a month now, driven by lockdown and ill health. I’ve found places to read and cautiously enter into serious discussion, places to offer sympathy or advice when asked for, places just to laugh and enjoy others’ great sense of humour, and have dared to start a few threads, hoping to amuse and/or challenge others.
What do you love/hate most about this place?

Blossoming Sun 21-Feb-21 14:20:06

An amazing mix of characters and opinions. Supportive when needed. Frequently funny. Nothing is off limits for discussion.

kittylester Sun 21-Feb-21 14:42:38

infoman

Not being like Facebook and Twitter and not being infected with trolls.

You have not been looking in the right places infoman!

hollysteers Sun 21-Feb-21 14:44:44

I have always kept a diary, but now enjoy the Good Morning thread, detailing our day. The small events of other peoples lives are fascinating at the moment and often come with good tips.
I like the freedom anonymity gives, as long as it is not abused.

NanKate Sun 21-Feb-21 14:47:38

I have made and met up with some lovely people on GN. I have received useful advice and had some laughs.

The only thing that really gets me down is when we challenge HQ on various topics, they give us patronising answers and if they don’t like what we say they close down the thread with no form of comeback. There I have said it.

NanKate Sun 21-Feb-21 14:49:56

KittyLester is one of the lovely GN members I have been fortunate enough to meet ?

Kim19 Sun 21-Feb-21 15:00:40

I appreciate the practical and experienced tips on products, experiences and life in general. I love the sense of humour when the appropriate topics present themselves. My major coup was following a weight losing tip which proved successful for me after far too many years of failure. Haven't a clue how long I've been on here or how I stumbled across the site. Up until now I'm still glad I did and I would use this platform to convey a general thank you to contributors. I've found the journey thoroughly worthwhile thus far.

kittylester Sun 21-Feb-21 15:03:01

NanKate

KittyLester is one of the lovely GN members I have been fortunate enough to meet ?

Thank you kate and the same goes for you. Hopefully it won't be too long before we can do it again.

NellG Sun 21-Feb-21 15:10:46

Love - debate, banter, the kindness, other people's opinions and how they inform and sometimes alter mine.

Hate - the occasional malice, the assumptions people make, the attempts to bully others on occasion, the lack of self awareness in some.

It's a microcosm, so there are no surprises, just humans in all their glory.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 21-Feb-21 15:16:04

I think it’s great, love to hear other people’s opinions on different situations, some lovely people on here

grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 15:28:28

My husband finds the whole gransnet thing a bit strange, especially when I’m giggling or exclaiming over something that someone I don’t know from Eve has said or done. How about your OHs?

LauraNorder Sun 21-Feb-21 15:42:32

grandmajet Orlin often asks me ‘What are your gransnetters up to today?’
I often share the funny bits or the arguments with him.
He does find it odd that I spend as much time on Gransnet as I do chatting in person to friends.

Gagagran Sun 21-Feb-21 15:43:02

maydonoz Gransnet started in May 2011. I joined then or just afterwards along with many others who still post either regularly or just from time to time. I read about it in the Daily Telegraph.

It feels a bit like having some special penfriends to me. You do get to know things about their lives and even their families and it doesn't matter if you want to take a break now and then, as many do. There is always someone pleased to see you when you reappear.

You can share as much or as little of your own life as you want to do but always should remember that this is a public forum and anybody can access it so it pays to be careful.

I have never met any GNs in real life but have had personal messages from and to a lot of Grans over the years. I would not want to be without Gransnet. It's my first port of call every day when I log on.

My DH is a big fan of Gransnet, grandmajet because we have won some good prizes on the competitions threads in the past including many books and two holidays!

GagaJo Sun 21-Feb-21 15:47:00

The range of discussions for me. From the bland and banal, for when you are having a REALLY hard day, and can only just manage basic communication, to real political furore.

grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 15:47:36

My goodness Gagagran! Real prizes? I imagined all this was virtual.

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 15:48:16

My DH put a comment on GN just once quite a while ago and bit off more than he could chew. He never looked in again!
Perhaps he admires my tenacity!
grin

Other threads I like are the nostalgic ones - posters in our bedrooms, clothes we wore, house teams at school etc.

Where are the holiday prizes advertised Gagagran? For next year you understand.

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 15:49:31

Sorry GagaJo
That was your fault grandmajet

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 15:50:42

Sorry, ignore that too many gagas ........
including myself!

Gagagran Sun 21-Feb-21 16:17:30

The holiday prizes were just in the competitions. There used to be a lot more (and dare I say better) prizes in the early years.

I won a 5 day break at Warners in 2013 and a long weekend at Best Western Hotel on the Isle of Wight in 2018.

Both most enjoyable. We did have to pay for the car ferry to the Isle of Wight of course but it was well worth it. Thanks again Gransnet!

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 16:22:05

Thank you GagaGRAN.

grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 16:54:57

LauraNorder

grandmajet Orlin often asks me ‘What are your gransnetters up to today?’
I often share the funny bits or the arguments with him.
He does find it odd that I spend as much time on Gransnet as I do chatting in person to friends.

I must be a bit thick Laura. I thought your OH had an exotic foreign name . Just got it!
????

BlueSky Sun 21-Feb-21 17:17:06

grandmajet
“I must be a bit thick Laura. I thought your OH had an exotic foreign name . Just got it!”
Grandmajet? Why isn’t he called Orlin? confused

grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 17:19:39

Help! Maybe he is!

grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 17:49:31

I thought it was a clever play on words.
I think I’d better stop digging!

Urmstongran Sun 21-Feb-21 18:01:53

My major coup was following a weight losing tip which proved successful for me after far too many years of failure.

C’mon Kim19 you just can’t leave that there‼️

Share please? My lockdown weight needs shifting for when we’re allowed to meet up or my friends won’t recognise me!

I like the friendliness of GN. I also like the anonymity. I wouldn’t like to attend a meet up it’s not what I joined for.

What I don’t like isn’t worth fussing about.
?

Gwyneth Sun 21-Feb-21 18:06:15

I’ve really enjoyed the book threads and also reading what posters have been watching on Netflix etc. Very much appreciated during lockdown.