Gransnet forums

Chat

What, if anything, is the point?

(54 Posts)
grandmajet Mon 05-Apr-21 10:24:52

I suppose this follows on from the discussion of faith yesterday. Is there, or does there even have to be, a point to our lives? Enjoying ourselves, loving our family, being kind and helpful to others are what we want to do, but in the end, we die, and that’s that. What was it all about?

PippaZ Tue 06-Apr-21 18:13:12

Alexa

Smileless wrote:

"Not everyone agrees that Christianity has been hi-jacked by the politically Right Wing Alexa what you've posted is a point of view, not fact."
The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate;
God made them, high or lowly,
And ordered their estate.

This theme was preached regularly in churches where, at one time, attendance was necessary to remain in the good graces of the landlord. The class division was underwritten by the notion that life is as it is and rewards belong to the afterlife.

The mainstream churches have modernised and that verse is nowadays omitted from hymn books, rightly so as the rest of the hymn is lovely. However to believe the poor and downtrodden are rewarded in the afterlife is always a handy rationalisation for right-wingers.

Although there are faith groups that look after the least well off in society, I'm afraid the C of E is still majorly "the Tory Party at prayer" Alexa. I always felt that Mrs T still believed in the theory the hymn espouses although obviously, we couldn't know.

The Queen's introductory style is By the Grace of God, Queen Elizabeth II and, to give her her due, she seems to try to live up to it. However, I have often read things on forums like this and this one that makes you believe that some think that "By the Grace of God, you sleep in a doorway" when we talk about the dispossessed.

Perhaps we are here to learn to think for ourselves.

grannyrebel7 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:24:59

There's got to be something on the other side, otherwise there would be no point to life. I have lots of faith that something better awaits us.

Jillyjosie Tue 06-Apr-21 20:16:11

There are lots of sentient beings, the trouble with us is opposable thumbs, upright gait and big brain. We are trouble basically!