Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you keep in your bread bin ?

(39 Posts)
Mollybest1 Tue 06-Apr-21 12:15:55

As my family at home is getting smaller, we are not eating as much bread so I now keep it in the fridge to last longer. My breed bin matches everything else in my kitchen ( and wasn’t cheep ) so I decided to put the dry pasta in it, leave more room in the cupboard as well. I can Romberg my Nan keeping her letter in hers, what’s in yours ?

Mollybest1 Tue 06-Apr-21 12:16:57

Mollybest1

As my family at home is getting smaller, we are not eating as much bread so I now keep it in the fridge to last longer. My breed bin matches everything else in my kitchen ( and wasn’t cheep ) so I decided to put the dry pasta in it, leave more room in the cupboard as well. I can Romberg my Nan keeping her letter in hers, what’s in yours ?

That should say remember not Romberg !! ?

Pittcity Tue 06-Apr-21 12:20:55

Don't have a bread bin. Keep the bread in a cupboard.
Only 2 of us so I divide a sliced loaf in half and pop half in the freezer.

grandmajet Tue 06-Apr-21 12:21:03

Being a bit of a rebel, I keep bread in mine!

Ellianne Tue 06-Apr-21 12:27:25

Bread in mine, wrapped in a tea towel.

Elegran Tue 06-Apr-21 12:30:54

I have two of those huge white enamel bins with "Bread" stencilled on the side. One was my mother's, the other belonged to my MiL. In one I keep bags of white and wholemeal bread flour, and tins of yeast etc, for breadmaking. In the other are plain and SR flour and various kinds of sugar, for baking. They stand on the floor in the larder.

Calendargirl Tue 06-Apr-21 12:31:23

Just bread.

Pantglas2 Tue 06-Apr-21 12:32:33

Mollybest, I also treated myself to an expensive (for me - and DH, but that’s a whole other tale...) new bread bin after refreshing the kitchen during this last lockdown.

It is big but as I choose sourdough and he eats anything and then add in crumpets/teacakes and baps it needs to be! I also keep my little butter dish in there so it’s spreadable, for most of the year anyway!

MayBee70 Tue 06-Apr-21 12:37:00

Jam, biscuits, honey, plastic bags. Anything I don’t want the counter surfing dog to get. I also keep storage jars on top of mine as well.

MaizieD Tue 06-Apr-21 12:39:45

Bread and DP's weakness, teacakes.

It is quite small, though.

Elegran Tue 06-Apr-21 12:40:35

My breadbins. The bags have onions and potatoes.

EllanVannin Tue 06-Apr-21 12:41:21

My medications grin. When the GGC were smaller I realised that these things could no longer be kept in my " special drawer " so instead of throwing out a perfectly good solid wood bread bin, I would put all things medical in it in a corner on the worktop, lid firmly closed and well out of reach of prying hands and there it's stayed ever since with everything together.

Ellianne Tue 06-Apr-21 12:41:39

grin
We had a counter surfing dog who used to flip the lids off tubs and the bread bin!

Jaxjacky Tue 06-Apr-21 12:43:09

Bread and at the moment, hot cross buns.

Blossoming Tue 06-Apr-21 12:43:10

Bird food ?

MaizieD Tue 06-Apr-21 12:43:20

I have two of those huge white enamel bins with "Bread" stencilled on the side.

My gran had one of them. How I wish I'd managed to snaffle it. She had her bread delivered and used to leave it out in her little front verandah (sp?)for the baker to put the bread in if she was out.

Ellianne Tue 06-Apr-21 12:46:24

Ellianne

grin
We had a counter surfing dog who used to flip the lids off tubs and the bread bin!

He was an expert at baguette boxes when we were in France. He ate so many!

tanith Tue 06-Apr-21 12:50:13

Bread or rolls and my butter in its dish so it spreads easier. Occasionally cake.

dragonfly46 Tue 06-Apr-21 12:53:45

We don't have a bread bin.

grandmajet Tue 06-Apr-21 13:05:41

Ellianne, send me a slice of your cake, please!

JulieNoted Tue 06-Apr-21 13:11:39

Haven't had a bread bin for many years. I keep mine in the freezer and take out slices as needed (I will slice unsliced and homemade bread myself before freezing).

Bread shouldn't really be kept in the fridge, as rather than keeping it fresh for longer, it can actually go stale quicker.

"Never keep your bread in the fridge. The starch molecules in bread recrystallize very quickly at cool temperatures, and causes the bread to stale much faster when refrigerated. Shop-bought loaves should be kept in an air-tight plastic bag at room temperature rather than in the fridge" (Good Housekeeping)

Franbern Tue 06-Apr-21 13:22:55

Bread bins are all so small. I had a real problem with finding a decent size one when I needed a replacement. I have one of those wooden looking roll door with a shelf. Keep my bread in the 'fridge, but keep butter dish in there, also box of Matzos, box of tea-matzos and box of crisp breads. So, well used.

M0nica Tue 06-Apr-21 13:40:31

Bread kept in the fridge dries out and goes stale much fster than when kept in a bread bin. I have fridge freezer int he litchen and the bread is in the freezer section, because that does keep it fresh. I just peel of slices as I need them. 15 secs in the microwave and they are defosted.

My bread bin is currently empty, but I am going to do what Ellanvannin does. Since DH had his heart attack and bypass, I have been looking for somewhere to stack all the pills he now takes. Into the bread bin they will now go.

Thanks Ellan

Elegran Tue 06-Apr-21 13:47:48

MaizieD you can come across old-fashioned enamel breadbins in antique shops - but they will cost you! Ebay have some at more realistic prices, complete with chipped corners. Some places sell new copies, but they are not as good as the battered old ones.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-enamelled-bread-bin/164789914047?hash=item265e3e89bf:g:InsAAOSwn6hgZFQE

eazybee Tue 06-Apr-21 13:57:09

Goodness! I used to have bread bins. Haven't used one for years ever since I had a larger fridge and a smaller family.