Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you keep in your bread bin ?

(40 Posts)
Mollybest1 Tue 06-Apr-21 12:15:55

As my family at home is getting smaller, we are not eating as much bread so I now keep it in the fridge to last longer. My breed bin matches everything else in my kitchen ( and wasn’t cheep ) so I decided to put the dry pasta in it, leave more room in the cupboard as well. I can Romberg my Nan keeping her letter in hers, what’s in yours ?

kittylester Tue 06-Apr-21 18:00:39

In our bread bin you will find an assortment of gf breads (it's scary how long they last) plus half a loaf of DH's Jackson's bloomer (the other half will be in the kitchen freezer) There might also be gf crumpets and a fruit loaf.

On top is where we keep the butter in it's pot.

SpringyChicken Tue 06-Apr-21 17:43:35

I freeze all our bread that isn't eaten on the day of purchase. Rightly or wrongly, I think they are unhygienic and a waste of worktop space.

Puzzler61 Tue 06-Apr-21 17:13:26

Don’t own a bread bin. Don’t know why - we just don’t.

shysal Tue 06-Apr-21 17:10:14

I have a small cylindrical bread bin which I use for biscuits and sweets. I have a tiny kitchen with no spare cupboard or counter space so the bread lives in the microwave!!

FlexibleFriend Tue 06-Apr-21 17:08:19

I don't have a bread bin and never have.

DanniRae Tue 06-Apr-21 17:00:51

No bread bin - bread goes in a cupboard. Two lots......white sliced for Mr R and wholemeal, seeded for me. A few slices of each - the rest in the freezer grin

Patsy70 Tue 06-Apr-21 16:31:16

We keep bread in our bin. We also have a counter surfing dog, who has carefully lifted the lid off the slow cooker and consumed the remains of a lamb casserole! ?

AGAA4 Tue 06-Apr-21 16:23:22

Left my bread bin at my old house and haven't had one since.

timetogo2016 Tue 06-Apr-21 16:07:27

My cheque book,spare car key and loose change.

ginny Tue 06-Apr-21 15:07:03

I don’t have a bread bin. Bread and buns etc. are kept in the freezer. Doesn’t take more than a minute to defrost. Plus I don’t like too much stuff in the worktops.

Franbern Tue 06-Apr-21 14:59:24

It is all very well saying that bread goes stale quicker when kept in the fridge. However,, I purchase a small Nimble loaf most weeks. If I keep it at 'room temperature', it is always stale and nasty after about five days. I keep it in the fridge, and can still be using nice fresh slices in eight days. I do keep it as airtight as possible.

So, for me, I will ignore that advice and stick to doing what works. I used to try that idea of keeping it in the freezer, but defrosted bread is fine for toasting, but not good for such things as dipping into my boiled eggs.

Mapleleaf Tue 06-Apr-21 14:14:20

Have recently started to use the bread crock again that was a wedding present. As well as bread, it houses the hot cross buns at the moment.

Cherrytree59 Tue 06-Apr-21 14:11:08

We no longer use a bread bin.
When we did it was either empty or had packets of biscuits in.

We had an egg hen as a wedding present (anyone remember them?)
It went from storing eggs to storing my shopping receipts.

PamelaJ1 Tue 06-Apr-21 14:02:36

Got my grannies old bread bin. I love it and think of her every day. It has bread in it. The lovely broken GI loaves with lots of seeds in. Last weekend it housed a few hot cross buns.
Never keep bread in a fridge but do cut the large loaves in half and freeze till needed.

eazybee Tue 06-Apr-21 13:57:09

Goodness! I used to have bread bins. Haven't used one for years ever since I had a larger fridge and a smaller family.

Elegran Tue 06-Apr-21 13:47:48

MaizieD you can come across old-fashioned enamel breadbins in antique shops - but they will cost you! Ebay have some at more realistic prices, complete with chipped corners. Some places sell new copies, but they are not as good as the battered old ones.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-enamelled-bread-bin/164789914047?hash=item265e3e89bf:g:InsAAOSwn6hgZFQE

M0nica Tue 06-Apr-21 13:40:31

Bread kept in the fridge dries out and goes stale much fster than when kept in a bread bin. I have fridge freezer int he litchen and the bread is in the freezer section, because that does keep it fresh. I just peel of slices as I need them. 15 secs in the microwave and they are defosted.

My bread bin is currently empty, but I am going to do what Ellanvannin does. Since DH had his heart attack and bypass, I have been looking for somewhere to stack all the pills he now takes. Into the bread bin they will now go.

Thanks Ellan

Franbern Tue 06-Apr-21 13:22:55

Bread bins are all so small. I had a real problem with finding a decent size one when I needed a replacement. I have one of those wooden looking roll door with a shelf. Keep my bread in the 'fridge, but keep butter dish in there, also box of Matzos, box of tea-matzos and box of crisp breads. So, well used.

JulieNoted Tue 06-Apr-21 13:11:39

Haven't had a bread bin for many years. I keep mine in the freezer and take out slices as needed (I will slice unsliced and homemade bread myself before freezing).

Bread shouldn't really be kept in the fridge, as rather than keeping it fresh for longer, it can actually go stale quicker.

"Never keep your bread in the fridge. The starch molecules in bread recrystallize very quickly at cool temperatures, and causes the bread to stale much faster when refrigerated. Shop-bought loaves should be kept in an air-tight plastic bag at room temperature rather than in the fridge" (Good Housekeeping)

grandmajet Tue 06-Apr-21 13:05:41

Ellianne, send me a slice of your cake, please!

dragonfly46 Tue 06-Apr-21 12:53:45

We don't have a bread bin.

tanith Tue 06-Apr-21 12:50:13

Bread or rolls and my butter in its dish so it spreads easier. Occasionally cake.

Ellianne Tue 06-Apr-21 12:46:24

Ellianne

grin
We had a counter surfing dog who used to flip the lids off tubs and the bread bin!

He was an expert at baguette boxes when we were in France. He ate so many!

MaizieD Tue 06-Apr-21 12:43:20

I have two of those huge white enamel bins with "Bread" stencilled on the side.

My gran had one of them. How I wish I'd managed to snaffle it. She had her bread delivered and used to leave it out in her little front verandah (sp?)for the baker to put the bread in if she was out.

Blossoming Tue 06-Apr-21 12:43:10

Bird food ?