Gransnet forums

Chat

New scam - Hermes related

(10 Posts)
Witzend Wed 21-Apr-21 14:05:29

A new one to us, anyway.
Dh was expecting a Hermes delivery today.
Yesterday he had a text supposedly from Hermes, to say they’d tried to deliver but we were out - there’d be a £1.99 fee for re-delivery, press 1, etc.

Maybe just coincidence but did made us wonder whether someone at Hermes is using their info for nefarious purposes.

hulahoop Wed 21-Apr-21 14:18:58

We had one of these last week Witzend knew it was a scam because we wasn't expecting anything .

janeainsworth Wed 21-Apr-21 14:49:13

A genuine message from
Hermes will include tracking info and how to divert your parcel if you’re going to be out.

Greenfinch Wed 21-Apr-21 16:01:16

I had exactly that sort of message yesterday.They changed the arrival time three times but kept me informed throughout the day eventually sending me a photo of the box on the doorstep.An excellent service so I would be suspicious of anything else.

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Apr-21 16:12:25

This one's been around for months.
DHL ones too.
I posted about it before Christmas.

Maggiemaybe Wed 21-Apr-21 16:33:07

The scam text won't be from Hermes, let alone from an employee of theirs. If it was, it would be traceable, straight back to them.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Apr-21 16:38:38

I had a text yesterday from ‘Royal Mail’ saying you need to pay £1.99 for us to deliver your parcel I m not expecting anything but rang my local Royal Mail (not the number they rang from) just in case some body loved me ? ...of course it’s a scam

MerylStreep Wed 21-Apr-21 16:47:10

If you want to see one of the good guys scamming the scammers watch this. youtu.be/eq8cKjdNpCo
This man does this for a living.
It’s a long watch but the end is worth it.

Sarnia Wed 21-Apr-21 16:49:07

I received a Royal Mail scam text yesterday saying I need to pay money for a parcel with insufficient postage. Blocked the number and deleted text.

GillT57 Thu 22-Apr-21 14:15:39

Yes, these ones have been around for some time, but I did stop and think yesterday when I got one from Hermes as I was ( as always) waiting for something I had ordered online, and by co-incidence, at the time I got the text saying unless I paid the fee, the item would be returned to sender, I was actually out of the house! I decided to err on the side of caution and take my chances on a parcel being undelivered. It is quite unsettling, and very irritating when these scammers are undermining an excellent company.