Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(83 Posts)
12Michael Sat 08-May-21 06:10:46

Good Morning Everyone,
Its cloudy and wet here in Brackley with the heavy rain forecast having occurred, it looks a little lighter at the moment .
My plan for the day is if its continues , I will not bother going out to do my usual Saturday routine , but will stay in , with milder weather temperature wise , a trip out to Buckingham and then Bicester ,and returning home to watch the Tour of Italy cycle race on TV are on the cards .
Take Care,
Mick

grandMattie Sat 08-May-21 07:53:16

Happy birthday ? , Corner.
Ash, smuggling was a very common occupation on the Romney Marshes and round Deal, etc. I was amused to learn that a regular punishment for Deal smugglers was to get them to fill their cellars with stones from the beach so they had nowhere to hide contraband! ?

Gingster Sat 08-May-21 07:58:19

Good morning all and it’s wet here as well in Essex. Our lovely neighbour e mailed me yesterday to say the large pine tree which is on our border fence is coming down today. Not good weatherwise for this but it will be a good job done. ?.

Ash you will have such fun making that video.

There seem to be a few grans who have had sleepless nights due to family worries. Hopefully things look better in the light of day. Once the worry worm starts , it doesn’t stop wriggling does it ! Kindly thoughts and ? for you all.

Harrigran how frustrating for you. Hope things get sorted. ?

cornergran happy birthday ?

Absent lovely to hear from you . I always wanted to visit NZ and was lucky enough to go on a World Cruise 5 years ago and we had lots of lovely stop overs in your beautiful country. ?.

Today our DG1 will be popping in as she’s home from Uni for the weekend and she wanted to be home for her dads and twin brothers birthdays get together. It will be great to see her. ❤️

I had a lovely brunch with my old school pal yesterday. An outside cafe with huge parasols, heaters and blankets. Perfect.

Oh well, indoor pursuits today. A nice cosy day with nothing pressing to do. Although little pooch will need a walk at some stage. ?.

Take care ?

Dwmxwg Sat 08-May-21 07:59:54

Good morning from north Surrey. Has rained in the night with more to come, suits me as I am off to work later.
susan I was saying to my friend yesterday, as we get older and our families grow, life becomes more complex with more worries to contend with.
Had such a lovely day yesterday with my friends. Her holiday home is set right on the edge of a small lake and we were able to sit out all afternoon. It was chilly but we had coats and blankets on, I hope it is a tradition we keep up once we can meet indoors. I have always been envious of the outdoor living in warmer countries. We stayed for 6 hours so we can’t have been that uncomfortable. My friend joked, in the good old days we would have a bottle of vodka in our bags now we bring hot water bottles!
When I got home DH had made a batch of jam using frozen berries as our stock is running low and DGSs love it.
Freddie’ wound looks much better with antibiotics and “babygro”. He still has a hangdog look which will stay until he has his freedom again.
Wishing all a good day despite the rain, warmer weather is on its way

Urmstongran Sat 08-May-21 08:01:19

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where we have rain of biblical proportions too! I’ve got my 2nd vaxx this morning (like you Sar53) but other than that nothing on the cards.

I’ve asked Himself to make his signature dish (chilli, like most men’s) late this afternoon for our lunch tomorrow with my stepfather. I’m wary of taking a dip after my jab and not feeling up to providing lunch otherwise. A bit of forward planning!

Many happy returns of the day to you corner. Enjoy your weekend away Elizabeth I can sense you’re already fizzing with excitement! Concerns over family members is upsetting so thinking of you today Gelisajam and Susan56. A hug for you both from me.

Hopefully Saturday will be good to us all. Keep safe. x

Jaxjacky Sat 08-May-21 08:01:54

Good morning Mick and all from a wet, dull S Hants. Have a very happy birthday cornergran ???. My hair is being trimmed again today, it was only done about 4 weeks ago, think I might go a bit more severe, my friend will call round to do it. Saturday is my newspaper day, that’ll keep me quiet for a while. Have a good day all, whatever you’re up to, thoughts with those poorly or sad. X

Dwmxwg Sat 08-May-21 08:04:35

Happy birthday cornegran

ginny Sat 08-May-21 08:13:09

Good morning from a very wet N. Bucks. My night was disturbed by odd dreams. Hamsters and lime juice !
Happy birthday Cornergran.
Happy visits and journeys, lovely to hear the excitement from some.
We are collecting MIL to take her to see Dd3 and family, her first meeting with her new GGS.
A quick hello and meal drop off to DD2 who has has a couple of rough days after her 1 st vaccine.

Back to ours for lunch and a busy doing nothing afternoon.
Hope you all find a ?today.

grandmajet Sat 08-May-21 08:15:08

Good morning from a wet Nottinghamshire, to a wet everywhere else it seems.
It must be hard to feel unable to help your son, Gelisajams, I would be the same. And yes, susan worrying for our grandchildren’s future is very natural, especially with all that’s happened in the world this past year.
Yesterday we sat in the sun outside a nearby pub and had lunch - out again! It felt so good. The waitress was lovely, and I fear that over the next week or so they will have little work as the weather looks so wet.
This morning Grandpajet is going to watch youngest grandson play football. I’m staying home in the dry, although I’ll go for a little wet walk later. We may indulge in a game of scrabble later.
Don’t get washed away, everyone.

Lin52 Sat 08-May-21 08:19:59

Morning Mick and all from a very wet NE coast, was expecting this, so not much outside today, a walk round the garden in between rain drops maybe. Shame my beautiful cornflowers have been battered by the heavy winds . Have a good day all .

Pittcity Sat 08-May-21 08:21:05

Good morning from rainy Colchester. It's ages since I wrote that. Warm and wet today-the garden will be grateful. I am slowly filling our new garden and got some Lidl bargain plants yesterday.
Nothing planned for today, except tidying the bedrooms as the carpenter is finally coming on Tuesday and we will have wardrobes!!!

Happy birthday corner ? and virtual hugs for all x

Alygran Sat 08-May-21 08:22:56

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It isn’t raining yet!
Off to town for food shopping this morning.
Happy birthday Corner have a lovely day.
Stay safe everyone.

Oh it’s raining now ?

Grandmabatty Sat 08-May-21 08:27:32

Good morning all. Polmont is dry at the moment, but grey skies above. I suspect we'll have the rain later that many of you are experiencing. Happy birthday Cornergran. Ashcombe that sounds fun!
I'm babysitting today to let dd get to the hairdresser so we'll probably play in the garden. Apart from that, nothing is planned. Have a good day all.

grandmajet Sat 08-May-21 08:30:36

harrigran, your post reflects exactly my experience with the nhs. It is great in some ways, but as you say, nothing seems to join up. I’ve been treated brilliantly when I’ve been in and the nurses are so kind, but communication between departments is appalling, you end up chasing round yourself to get things done. Waste of time and, on some occasions, drugs, seems accepted as the way it is. I don’t know what the answer is.
I’m sorry for you and hope you got it sorted.

gillgran Sat 08-May-21 08:32:30

Good Morning to you all from an extremely wet Cambs.,

Best wishes for your birthday cornergran.

Warm wishes to you all, especially those with extra worries. flowers

Take Care Folks

EkwaNimitee Sat 08-May-21 08:34:15

Good morning, Mick and All from Carlisle where it was dry first thing but raining by 7.30am and forecast to get worse. I think most of us will be inside today.
Yesterday afternoon, my new printer had me screaming...not aloud fortunately for the neighbours! After a lot of trouble I had got it working wirelessly last week. When I went to use it post-lunch it wasn't . I spent an hour or so chatting to a patient support person. Conclusion-it's not going to work wirelessly as my latest technology router and the printer use different frequencies, I won't go into details, it's almost beyond my mental capacities. A bit of Googling after revealed that I am far from alone with this problem. I've re-connected with a cable so now I can get going with my boring admin. It's the weather for it.
I should get to the end of my book on food and agribusiness. It's rather grim reading so I'm tempted to start another detective page turner as some follow on light relief. Especially as Saturday tv and radio offerings are usually pretty awful.
The best possible day to you all.

EllanVannin Sat 08-May-21 08:37:27

Good Morning All x. Happy Birthday Cornergran x.

Wet and windy, what a miserable day ! It chucked it down last night, hitting the windows like the hailstones did in the week.
As old mum used to say," there's nobody out that matters" smile
I'm glad I don't need anything.

Plenty of paper-reading I think and a tray of scones to make as I enjoyed those I did last week, they go down nicely with a cup of tea mid-morning and afternoon. I rarely buy bought cakes etc.

Some worrying going on amongst you ladies and as someone said, we never stop worrying about families---I know the feeling only too well and hope that things ease for you flowers

To those having more exciting times, enjoy the day, such as the weather is, though not noticeable when in company that gives you pleasure.

My stomach's rumbling here like an old drain grin so can't wait to bung a dollop of choice honey on top of my crumpets, either borage or lavender or one of each, Salisbury even.

Hope everyone's day goes to plan with thoughts to those under par and our absent friends xx
Take care and stay safe everyone.

Marydoll Sat 08-May-21 08:38:59

Good morning all from a cloudy Glasgow.

Corner happy birthday! ???

Harri, how exasperating and worrying for you, regarding your husband's meds. I can empathise. People don't always undertand how stressful it can be. We have enough to cope with.
I couldn't get mine on Thursday because Police had sealed off the area out side the pharmacy after an ongoing incident!!

Despite expecting an uneventful day yesterday and plans to rest (still suffering from those blooming side effects) , yesterday turned out to be full on.

I was lying in bed before 8am feeling sorry for myself, when I heard DD arrived. Mum, who is that man working on the front steps?. ? The 81 year old boy builder!!!! It had slipped my mind after I got caught up reading GN! blush
It turns out that he had been one of the brickies, who built our house. What a great job he has made of DH's botched job of our stairs and the conservatory wall. wink
All I really wanted to do was lie in bed, but of course DH was golfing, DD was working in our dining room and Harry, the builder needed supplied with copious amounts of builder's tea!

Yet another load of materials apperared for our decking, because we need the surveyor to come and measure up our patio doors, it has been delayed. I was trying to summon up energy to chase up the company, when a lovely lady phoned to say the surveyor would be on Monday. (What a relief). She said that they had been absolutely swamped since lockdown here had been eased.
I suspect people have saved money over the last year and are now getting work down. Ours is been done out of necessity. The doors have been in for twenty years and have never been right from the beginning.
The joiner I managed to get to do some urgent jobs in DD's flat, told me he cannot get materials for love nor money! sad
I have a new career, project manager.

Later I got a text saying Dollie was really unwell, with a vomitting bug. She had been off with it on Tuesday and it had come back with a vengeance. She was always a sickly baby, with her chronic asthma, but had seem so well recently after shielding and not really coming in contact with others.
I had to go and see her, despite feeling rubbish.

Just as I parked outside DS' house in a cul de sac with only three houses, a huge lorry arrived and parked right against the bumper of my car. ? Much to my horror, as he tried to leave, he got stuck turning the lorry. If he went forward he would have hit my car, if he reversed further back, he would have ended up on the busy main road below.
Like the schoolteacher I am, I put up my hand and shouted STOP!!!!
I told him I would try and reverse my car up the hill into someone's driveway, to allow him to turn the lorry. Not exactly an easy manouevre for someone who has hardly driven in a year! ?
As he drove off, he shouted something. Dollie started giggling from the doorway. Gran, he shouted, "Thanks wee man"! ? That short hair cut of mine has to go!!! I knew it was a mistake. ?
In saying that the other day when I opened the door to the postman, his first words were, Oh I do like your hair, you really suit it!. I have an admirer!!! blush

Wishing you all a pleasant Saturday and an easier day for all who are struggling. ?

Anniebach Sat 08-May-21 08:44:57

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

EllanVannin Sat 08-May-21 08:47:17

Absolutely hilarious Marydoll, that's made my day grin
" thanks wee man " indeed ! I can picture Dollie laughing.

grandmajet Sat 08-May-21 08:49:07

marydoll ? ?

Grandmajean Sat 08-May-21 08:54:57

Good morning from a very wet Cheshire. I have only read the first page of posts and there are a few out there worried about family. I send my best wishes for happier days. The saying is so true that "3 am thoughts are never happy ones"
Nothing much planned today unless it dries up. At least it's warmer rain than yesterday !

Urmstongran Sat 08-May-21 09:01:25

As old mum used to say," there's nobody out that matters"

Years since I heard that saying EV thank you for the sweet reminder! When my mum used to say that when we were young it used to make me feel so cosy. I’d forgotten it.
?

Greyduster Sat 08-May-21 09:04:37

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. It is chucking it down in South Yorkshire today and set to do so all day. Well we did say it was needed! We have nothing much to do today. DH is watching football this afternoon, so I will potter to the best of my ability.
A very Happy Birthday to you, Corner. Have a lovely day!???.
Do the best you can with the weather, folks!

Urmstongran Sat 08-May-21 09:07:05

Marydoll ??
Forget ‘project manager’. Please go for ‘scriptwriter’ instead!

Shout out this morning to you Maw and Rosie! Hope you are both settling in nicely together.
?

BlueSapphire Sat 08-May-21 09:11:04

Good morning everyone from a very wet Northampton. I am so pleased I managed to cut the grass yesterday and pot up the catmint I bought last Sunday. And got two loads of washing dry as well.

The tree men turned up yesterday morning instead of afternoon, and did a really good job of cutting back the two trees in the front garden. Half an hour and they were finished, the garden swept and raked afterwards and no mess left behind. Shall definitely recommend them.

I spent the afternoon sitting in the summerhouse, while the cats enjoyed an hour or so out in the sunshine; did the crossword, then finished my book club read. Felt pleased with myself as my suspicions about whodunnit proved right. The only thing being that I couldn't work out why until I got to the last couple of chapters. Now to start on one of the half dozen or so books that DD has lent me.

No plans for today except watch rugby this afternoon, remembering to put my lucky socks on!

Happy birthday ? cornergran !

Forgot yesterday to say thank you for all the lovely comments about my hair - took me all of two minutes to dry and style it, so much easier now.

Hope today is a pleasant one for us all.