Gransnet forums

Chat

What Vitamins & Supplements do you take and from where do you buy them?

(62 Posts)
Artemis1 Mon 17-May-21 19:59:42

Do you take any Vitamins or Health Supplements that have really helped - improved overall health, cured some disease or nasty symptom, increased your energy and vitality, and generally done wonders for your overall well-being and fitness?

If so, what is it, how did you hear of it, who recommended it (doctor or friend), and how long have you taken it? What has the health benefit been and how long before you saw results?

Where do you buy your supplements from (for best quality and best value for money)?

I keep reading rave reviews on Amazon (e.g. for collagen) but have recently heard that many of the reviews are fake!

Would like recommendations from the wise gransnetters here.

Shinamae Tue 26-Oct-21 12:57:13

This is what I take

bookwormbabe Tue 26-Oct-21 12:53:10

I started taking vitamin D3 during the pandemic, but I found out that one really ought to be taking Vitamin K2 along with it, because the K2 helps direct calcium to the right places and away from places where it could do harm. There is a book about it called 'Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox' by Kate Rheaume-Bleue'. I take a tablet which combines the two, available from Holland and Barrett.

singingnutty Mon 25-Oct-21 17:14:33

I have been taking magnesium and turmeric for some time on the advice of a herbalist I go to. She is well qualified and I trust her advice. I've just had a consultation and got herbal medicine to help clear the lingering effects of a virus which caused mucus and congestion in my throat and nose. She also advised Vit D3 and Vit B12. After I started taking the latter last week I was alarmed when my urine turned very yellow. However, the health food shop where I bought them told me this is normal. Has anyone had this experience?

wildswan16 Mon 25-Oct-21 13:28:16

Reported

Grey18 Mon 25-Oct-21 12:25:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MayBee70 Sat 24-Jul-21 22:45:23

I thought there was a bit of a health scare about rose hip a while back. I know I used to take it when I was young though.

Mancjules Sat 24-Jul-21 22:31:21

Vit d and magnesium from Natures Best. Good quality and dosage.

joysutty Sat 17-Jul-21 09:42:03

Take a vitamin D daily since beginning of covid19 as recommended. Also for last 5 years take a daily cod liver oil which ever one is on a good offer at a high quality one, could be the sainsburys one or if H+B have the penny sale will purchase and get 2nd for 1p, very good plus get the loyalty points with them also, so whether or not it actualy helps my oesteo-arthiritus in my knee and left ankle joints dont know but was interested to read on one person who said rosehip helps her, so will do some research into this. The link to AOR takes to me a foreign web site on prices, and also not sure which item it is that you say helps you ev00stanley ? Would be interested to know as my daughter suffers with migranes, and wastes so much money buying stuff of the shelf. Regards, joysutty.

21Tinkerbell Thu 15-Jul-21 09:19:47

Magnesium and vitamin D. Both prescribed by doc. Don't live in UK.

Sarnia Thu 15-Jul-21 09:07:47

I buy Vitamin D from Holland & Barrett and look out for their 'Buy 1 get another for 1p' offer.

ev00stanley Wed 14-Jul-21 11:03:58

An interesting question to discuss with. Health is something more important, especially in this pandemic situation. Multivitamins play a vital role in improving your immunity and mental health. And it has a lot of other beneficial factors in controlling risk for heart disease. I felt it more advantageous for migraines and fibromyalgia. I suffered a lot. So with my doctor's prescription, I bought AOR vitamin supplements and having them for the past 2 years and I found a miracle result. It also helped for healthy mood balance and improved my sleep patterns. Before purchasing the tablets, it is important to seek advice from a health professional since the ingredients of each vitamins supplements are different.

Clio51 Fri 11-Jun-21 19:01:26

I take
Zinc 15mg Sainsburys

Amazon
Biokult probiotic for gut health
Magnesium spray Ancient Minerals
Vit d + k2. Betteryou

MayBee70 Fri 11-Jun-21 18:27:27

Michael Moseley said in the programme that it would be very expensive to eat enough food that would supply enough zeaxanthin and lutein for eye health.

watermeadow Fri 11-Jun-21 18:09:29

I don’t believe you need to take vitamins if you eat a healthy diet. However, I have to take high dose vitaminD with calcium to ward off osteoporosis because I’m taking Prednisolone. These are on prescription. According to the internet every ailment is caused by lack of supplements and innumerable companies are waiting to take your money.

BlueBelle Fri 11-Jun-21 14:21:46

I take B12, C and D3 every morning and get them from the supermarket or Savers etc

MayBee70 Fri 11-Jun-21 14:18:01

MayBee70

welbeck

FindingNemo15

Maybee70 - I buy Macushield Gold from Boots where it is 3 for the price of 2 so works out cheaper.

i think that's what i get, yellow packet.
usually about £40 for 3 months supply.
Maybee, does the cheaper one have exactly the same ingredients.

i also take vitaminD with calcium, and a multi-vitamin, both from Lidl.

I don’t buy the gold as it contains vitamins that I buy separately. I’ll check on the website for the others as I don’t have the box with me. Of course there’s probably postage to pay as well but I get it free as I buy lots of stuff from them.

I’ve now found the box with the cheaper alternative. It contains 10mg meso zeaxanthin 10mg Lutein and 2 mg zeaxanthin which is the same as Macu shield. It doesn’t contain marigold extract though. It’s the meso zeaxanthin that Trust me I’m a doctor said was important.

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 18:58:41

I only create a mushy mess!

welbeck Thu 20-May-21 18:57:47

wow, i'm not in that league. pot noodle with added tinned fish and maybe some peppers and toms, is a meal for me.

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 18:35:59

I never used to buy online till covid! Until we got a Tesco slot I was buying stuff like dried fruit, lentils and vegetables so I could make healthy meals, and Healthy Supplies sold the sort of things I was looking for. I’ve started adding things like freeze died beetroot powder and blueberries to cakes.

welbeck Thu 20-May-21 18:29:42

i think the ingredients are the same, but i prefer to buy things from shops, not online.
i will look into whether the macusave is available in a shop.
thanks. interesting.

i don't use the gold macushield, just the yellow one. i think they are £19 for 30 from boots, but it's 3 for price of 2, so about £38.

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 18:04:23

welbeck

FindingNemo15

Maybee70 - I buy Macushield Gold from Boots where it is 3 for the price of 2 so works out cheaper.

I don’t buy the gold as it contains vitamins that I buy separately. I’ll check on the website for the others as I don’t have the box with me. Of course there’s probably postage to pay as well but I get it free as I buy lots of stuff from them.

Scentia Thu 20-May-21 17:51:00

I take Vit D in the winter and B12 all year as I am Vegan and I worry I don’t get enough.

www.healthspan.co.uk

welbeck Thu 20-May-21 17:46:50

FindingNemo15

Patsy70 Thu 20-May-21 17:02:54

I’ve been taking vitamin D for many years, started taking vitamin C two years ago and have Echinacea to hand for the first sign of a cold. I am now researching the most effective supplement for arthritis, as I have a lot of pain, particularly in my neck. I notice that some of you take turmeric, so will look into this.

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 17:01:09

It’s still very expensive compared to the new one I’ve found, though, even with DH’s discount and the three for two offer.