Gransnet forums

Chat

Slippers! Not just for Christmas

(91 Posts)
MawBe Wed 09-Jun-21 08:09:04

Do you wear slippers around the house, just for getting out of bed - -at all? And how often do you replace them?
There is something very grannyish about slippers isn’t there- the image of “carpet slippers” or “pipe and slippers”
My mum never wore slippers, preferring light shoes which she designated “house shoes” and claimed she felt safer as well as better dressed in them. Likewise I don’t really like them except for bed-to-bathroom trips and usually wear a pair of Skechers throughout the day.
Anyway way, since Rosie moved in I have had to retrieve my slippers once too often from the garden and am obliged to sleep with them in bed beside me. And I have become uncomfortably aware of their presence ?
So they need replacing. I am actually quite ashamed of the fact that it had not occurred to me until right under my nose as it were. No wonder she found them irresistible ??
Go on, so when did you last buy a new pair of slippers?

Beechnut Wed 09-Jun-21 08:13:19

I bought two pairs just before last Christmas. One pair for me and a pair for DD.

This time of year I go barefoot.

MawBe Wed 09-Jun-21 08:16:21

Clearly no grandchildren’s Lego pieces lurking on your carpets!

sodapop Wed 09-Jun-21 08:21:36

I wear thong sandals all year round. I do have a pair of sheepskin slippers but it has to be really really cold before I wear them.
I remember the pain of those Lego pieces MawBe

Largolass Wed 09-Jun-21 08:23:38

I wear Birkenstocks around the house so they're my slippers.

25Avalon Wed 09-Jun-21 08:24:59

I always buy slippers with rubber soles so I can wear them to hang the washing out etc without changing shoes. I usually don’t wear outdoor shoes indoors to protect the carpet.

My present slippers have dog eared ribbon bows from our puppy’s sharp teeth. After much searching I managed to find a pretty pair of pink mules with an indented unchewable pattern - only cost a fiver from everything£5 so if she chews them not too worried, and I have a respectable pair to visit dd with now we are allowed.

tanith Wed 09-Jun-21 08:29:55

I have a pair bought for me for Christmas but I only wear if it’s really cold I’m usually barefoot or wear flip flops in the house can’t remember when I last bought any.

Jaxjacky Wed 09-Jun-21 08:33:32

I wear moccasin type slippers when it’s chilly as they’re robust enough to wear out to the bin etc, they go in the washing machine when necessary, last pair bought about 2 years ago. Flip flops or barefoot when it’s warm, no dogs or Lego!

Beechnut Wed 09-Jun-21 08:38:19

MawBe

Clearly no grandchildren’s Lego pieces lurking on your carpets!

No there isn’t Maw.
My son in law is responsible for the only Lego piece in my house which he added to my bathroom beach display and then waited for me to notice and say something ?

baubles Wed 09-Jun-21 08:38:25

No slippers here. I wear canvas shoes, flip flops or go barefoot if it’s very warm.

Chewbacca Wed 09-Jun-21 08:42:26

I have mule type slippers for wearing around the house but, now that I look at them, they look pretty shabby. I don't like to be barefoot because there are always bits of Lego, game counters and various bits of amputated doll's anatomy lurking from the GC and they hurt like hell when you step on them. Trying to find nice looking, non frumpy slippers is like looking for hen's teeth.

Puzzler61 Wed 09-Jun-21 08:44:52

Last week Maw from Totes. They are ballet style and elasticated around the foot. I now have 3 pairs in different colours.
I’ve got “back door shoes” and I can slip them on over the ballet slippers if I need to pop outside quickly ?

Kate54 Wed 09-Jun-21 08:47:48

Guilty pleasure - Crocs! They do a slimmer version which fits the bill perfectly (for me!)

ayse Wed 09-Jun-21 08:51:19

I have cold feet so almost always wear slippers, usually of the real sheepskin variety. The last pairs I bought were in Feb this year. I’ve found it’s the best time to buy. Less choice but much cheaper than before Christmas. These were moccasin type, solid bases, sheepskin and cosy, about £8.00 per pair on Amazon.

Poppyred Wed 09-Jun-21 08:56:24

Always wear slippers in winter always feel that they are part of being warm and toasty. Always have 2 or 3 pairs on stand by. Flip flops in the summer months.

NotSpaghetti Wed 09-Jun-21 09:30:21

I'm quite hot in slippers. I did buy a new pair about a year ago but like sodapop it needs to be cold to wear them.

aggie Wed 09-Jun-21 09:30:31

I wear summer sandals rather than slippers , mine are in the washing machine just now , after reading Maws post ??‍?

annodomini Wed 09-Jun-21 09:56:42

I've been wearing my sheepskin slippers for most of the past year and a bit, unless I've been out of the house, of course. My alternative has been a pair of M&S slip-on trainers which are also very comfy and, most importantly, non-slip. I've 'discovered' my crocs, hiding under my wardrobe, and given them a good wash, so that gives me another alternative. I need width and comfort to accommodate my burgeoning bunion.

Witzend Wed 09-Jun-21 10:11:20

I have some light-ish ones from Joules that aren’t granny-ish - they were a present from a dd.

When it’s cold I wear my sheepskin house boots from Celtic Sheepskin - I really love them. On my 2nd pair now. You can also wear them out of doors but the sole is lighter than that of their outdoor boots.
Plus they are made in Cornwall from local materials - not in China with skins from who knows where. And you can wash them in the machine.

In weather like this though (it’s hot here at the mo) I will usually wear flip flops at home.

FlexibleFriend Wed 09-Jun-21 10:16:28

I've never had a pair of slippers but do wear crocs around the house and garden. I have 2 pairs so when one pair is in the washing machine I still have a pair to wear.

MiniMoon Wed 09-Jun-21 10:18:56

I like my slippers and wear them year round. I buy sketchers keepsakes with outdoor soles so that I can walk out on our gravel to the bins and the washing line.
I also have some Furoshiki shoes for when the weather is hot. I dont like wearing shoes or sandals in the house.

Lin52 Wed 09-Jun-21 10:35:48

Have soft slip on sneakers for indoors, ballet slippers after shower, bare feet for hot days, garden shoes by back door. Fussy not, ?

Grandmadinosaur Wed 09-Jun-21 10:56:40

I wear flip flops in the summer. In winter I like my feet to be warm and cosy I usually get some slippers in TKMaxx or M&S. if it’s really cold in winter I have some Ugg style slipper boots that DH bought me one Christmas many moons ago.

Shandy57 Wed 09-Jun-21 11:01:12

I've just moved into a bungalow with cold tiles in the bathroom and kitchen, you've reminded me to buy some.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 09-Jun-21 14:30:17

I always said when getting home “can’t think until I’ve got my slippers on”. The local market used to sell cheap “Flossies” for about £10. Used to use these for Summer as nice and cool but can’t get them now and Amazon is quoting expensive ones.