Gransnet forums

Chat

Slippers! Not just for Christmas

(92 Posts)
MawBe Wed 09-Jun-21 08:09:04

Do you wear slippers around the house, just for getting out of bed - -at all? And how often do you replace them?
There is something very grannyish about slippers isn’t there- the image of “carpet slippers” or “pipe and slippers”
My mum never wore slippers, preferring light shoes which she designated “house shoes” and claimed she felt safer as well as better dressed in them. Likewise I don’t really like them except for bed-to-bathroom trips and usually wear a pair of Skechers throughout the day.
Anyway way, since Rosie moved in I have had to retrieve my slippers once too often from the garden and am obliged to sleep with them in bed beside me. And I have become uncomfortably aware of their presence ?
So they need replacing. I am actually quite ashamed of the fact that it had not occurred to me until right under my nose as it were. No wonder she found them irresistible ??
Go on, so when did you last buy a new pair of slippers?

f77ms Thu 10-Jun-21 15:17:32

I LOVE slippers, i have 2 pairs so i can wash them regularly. Bought some last month.

jenni123 Thu 10-Jun-21 15:44:32

Never wear slippers and rarely wear shoes. I have painful feet and am usually barefoot.

WishIwasyounger Thu 10-Jun-21 15:47:43

Cold feet sufferer here, so nice woolly slippers for me from Woolovers..

Greciangirl Thu 10-Jun-21 16:40:56

Always wear slippers in the house.

As soon as I get in the house, it’s shoes of and slippers on.

Warm ones for winter, light slip on mule type for summer.

Looking today for new pair and they are all fluffy types.
Much too warm for summer.
They obviously haven’t sold of their winter stock.

Juicylucy Thu 10-Jun-21 18:06:33

I wear my slippers from minute I get in the house till I get into bed, one of my pet hates is walking around the house bare foot. I buy about 4 pairs a year and wash them in between, I even take them on holiday with me. I’m a young at heart Nan but these I cannot do without.

Blossoming Thu 10-Jun-21 18:37:04

PurplePixie Exactly! Your feet, your choice.

grannypiper Thu 10-Jun-21 18:49:04

I always have 2 pairs on the go, whilst i am wearing the new ones in i keep the old --fit for the bin--pair until i make sure i am happy with the new ones even though the are the same pair from Clarks.

seadragon Thu 10-Jun-21 18:53:26

DH surprised (astonished) me with a gift of v expensive Glerups' felted boot style slippers for Christmas 2019. I had been away supporting family for several weeks by then. Stylish and ideal for winter in a draughty cottage in Orkney...

HillyN Thu 10-Jun-21 20:54:20

Last Friday.

grannyrebel7 Thu 10-Jun-21 21:22:50

Love my slippers ? & wear them all the time when I'm at home. Also wear them in the garden & then they get filthy so have to put them in the washing machine every so often. Couldn't be without them. I've always loved my slippers even when I was young, so I don't think they're grannyish at all.

CanadianGran Thu 10-Jun-21 21:56:10

I'm a slipper wearer, from morning to night. I have Glerups which I love, and if it is very warm I will wear my Birkenstock sandals inside.

I also have some cheap ballerina style velvet ones which I can take with me when travelling, and they wash well.

Elvis58 Thu 10-Jun-21 23:02:37

Slippers saves the carpets.

Chewbacca Thu 10-Jun-21 23:23:52

Slippers saves the carpets.

What from?

Coolgran65 Fri 11-Jun-21 04:43:10

Slippers indoors. Cosy for winter and Clarke’s or Fitflops leather slides for summer. Current slides are about 15 years old.
Sometimes I have fleecy indoor ballerina slippers which I keep new for a while in case of a hospital visit and then eventually take to wearing them. Being a little lazy they sometimes end up being worn outdoors and so don’t last long…. getting holes in the soles. A couple of years ago I had a terrible hip pain and ended up at A & E on a drip for pain relief. As the pain subsided I realised I’d gone to hospital wearing slippers. I was on the hospital trolley in a side room with feet facing the open door. I asked DH to check and sure enough …. My feet were showing through the holes in the soles. I got him to whip them off and remained barefoot until discharge.

MawBe Fri 11-Jun-21 08:32:32

Chewbacca

^Slippers saves the carpets.^

What from?

I had never been fussed about anybody wearing outdoor shoes inside before we moved to the country where so many people especially the young seem to slip their shoes off as a matter of course, I suppose when they are DMs or wellies or chunky trainers it goes without saying. I do also like the way the GC take their shoes off automatically especially as they are going to be clambering over the furniture.
However Paw used to run a weekly discussion group over a period of months in our sitting room and one man always sat in the same place. I hate to sound like Hyacinth Bucket, but the patch of carpet in front of where he sat has never entirely recovered. So yes, slippers do “save” in the sense of prolonging the life of your carpets!

CBBL Fri 11-Jun-21 21:47:19

I wear slippers all the time indoors, and in the garden when it's not wet - but my feet are painful all the time (even in the slippers). I buy mine from "Pavers" because I take a wide fitting size 2. This size is not available from high street stores, or indeed from many manufacturers at all. Children's slippers are too narrow. Hard floors hurt my feet, but because we have two cats, only the living room has carpet. Laminate floors everywhere else for ease of cleaning!