Gransnet forums

Chat

Chris Whitty

(102 Posts)
Daisymae Tue 29-Jun-21 11:12:45

The papers this morning are carrying photos of CW being accosted/assaulted by two thugs who are intent on taking selfies. Apparently this is not the first time that it's happened and there's talk of him being provided with security. Seriously what can make these people think that they have the right to do this? I hope they are found and charged. They have their moment of fame so I guess that tracing then won't be a problem.

Ellianne Thu 01-Jul-21 10:33:57

25Avalon

In the news one of the men has apologised for any upset he caused and says he has lost his job at the estate agents where he worked as a consequence.

Apparently the police can bring a case even if the victim does not press charges.

That estate agents valued our house a while back. They are a respectable, hard working, fairly new to the business, family company and I'm pleased they took that action. The bloke was probably just a minion in the office, so he has burnt his bridges for a good career.

TerriBull Thu 01-Jul-21 10:34:10

As posted up thread, one of the assailants has now lost his job, no more than he deserves. Maybe being unemployed will give him time to reflect on his unacceptable, disgusting behaviour. We seem to be living in a time when anyone who feels they disagree with an opinion will not hesitate to physically abuse.

maddyone Thu 01-Jul-21 10:38:01

TerriBull

As posted up thread, one of the assailants has now lost his job, no more than he deserves. Maybe being unemployed will give him time to reflect on his unacceptable, disgusting behaviour. We seem to be living in a time when anyone who feels they disagree with an opinion will not hesitate to physically abuse.

Unfortunately this seems to be true these days.

25Avalon Thu 01-Jul-21 10:43:28

Perhaps he will stop laughing now!

Alegrias1 Thu 01-Jul-21 10:47:00

Okey doke...

First of all, not endorsing this behaviour at all; it was unforgiveable and should not have happened, but....

Whitty's father was not killed by a rabble, he was killed by a terrorist.

These latest two were not anti-vaxxers, that's a whole other event, from earlier in June.

They were a pair of yobs who wanted a selfie - they might be idiots but they're not evil.

Calling anyone a "minion" when you have no idea of their job is completely uncalled for.

The man himself has shown remarkable even handedness when dealing with these people, we could learn from him.

Chestnut Thu 01-Jul-21 10:53:22

The man's name and a photograph are all over the Daily Mail. He deserves whatever he gets. His friend is coming up with the excuse he has ADHD....whatever. No excuse. It seems that people have no respect for others these days, they just do whatever idiocy they choose. How can a supposedly decent person behave in such a yobbish way? I despair.

Ellianne Thu 01-Jul-21 10:54:15

Calling anyone a "minion" when you have no idea of their job is completely uncalled for.
Apologies, a junior office boy then.
By the way Alegrias is that estate agents on the corner of your road? It is on mine! Have you had dealings with the owners? I think on this one I do know how that company works in terms of hierarchy.

25Avalon Thu 01-Jul-21 10:57:25

I think we should respect Chris Whitty, whether we agree with him or not, for the calm and dignified way in which he behaved. I agree with Alegrias. We could indeed learn from him.

Alegrias1 Thu 01-Jul-21 10:57:42

It doesn't matter Ellianne. How is it acceptable to call anyone a "minion".

Except the minions, of course.

Ellianne Thu 01-Jul-21 10:59:37

Rather cute pic!
I have apologised!!!!!

Alegrias1 Thu 01-Jul-21 11:03:28

Ellianne smile

Shinamae Thu 01-Jul-21 11:06:43

I think it was absolutely appalling and Chris witty handled it very calmly, I have great admiration for that man..

Riverwalk Thu 01-Jul-21 11:11:37

These latest two were not anti-vaxxers, that's a whole other event, from earlier in June.

An anti-vax demo had just taken place nearby and I've read that they were both at it. Can't think of another reason why two yobs from Romford would be in St James's Park at that precise time.

SueDonim Thu 01-Jul-21 14:32:16

25Avalon

In the news one of the men has apologised for any upset he caused and says he has lost his job at the estate agents where he worked as a consequence.

Apparently the police can bring a case even if the victim does not press charges.

This man hasn’t really apologised for his actions, though. He’s only apologised for ‘any upset’ he’s caused. Therefore he must think his actions were reasonable and it’s Prof Whitty’s reaction that is wrong.

MawBe Thu 01-Jul-21 14:53:24

Alegrias1

Okey doke...

First of all, not endorsing this behaviour at all; it was unforgiveable and should not have happened, but....

They were a pair of yobs who wanted a selfie - they might be idiots but they're not evil.

The man himself has shown remarkable even handedness when dealing with these people, we could learn from him.

Blimey- is it chilly ip there in the rarefied atmosphere of your high horse?

Alegrias1 Thu 01-Jul-21 14:56:40

The soft glow of truth keeps me warm

grin

Callistemon Thu 01-Jul-21 15:33:44

Ellianne

^Calling anyone a "minion" when you have no idea of their job is completely uncalled for.^
Apologies, a junior office boy then.
By the way Alegrias is that estate agents on the corner of your road? It is on mine! Have you had dealings with the owners? I think on this one I do know how that company works in terms of hierarchy.

Minion meaning:
a person who is not important and who has to do what another person of higher rank orders them to do:
Cambridge Dictionary

Which may well have described the job he did before being sacked.

Callistemon Thu 01-Jul-21 15:35:13

Opinion only unless you know them and know otherwise.

MawBe Thu 01-Jul-21 16:39:32

Minion underling, assistant ,rank and file
Lots of terms for those in relatively junior positions in an organisations.
So what?
They can’t all be executives like John Betjeman’s

I am a young executive. No cuffs than mine are cleaner
I have a Slimline brief-case and I use the firm's Cortina

So less virtue signalling and quasi egalitarian posturing please

Alegrias1 Thu 01-Jul-21 16:45:42

So less virtue signalling and quasi egalitarian posturing please

confused

Yes Miss.

Namsnanny Thu 01-Jul-21 16:52:41

Alegrias1

Okey doke...

I agree Aligrias1.

There is a difference between an enthusiastic idiot, and a person with malice in his mind.

I may not have all the facts straigjt, but if CW didn't want to take it any further, I think it's a bit harsh that he lost his job.

We let terrorists and murderers have a second chance in this country dont we?
Dont these two deserve the same?

MawBe Thu 01-Jul-21 17:16:44

There is a difference between an enthusiastic idiot, and a person with malice in his mind

Unless what the TV cameras showed was totally misleading these men did not come across as “enthusiastic idiots” - their body language, the fact that they invaded CW’s personal space,, jostling and harassing him and did not show any respect or back off at his obvious distress makes their actions threatening and frightening.
If two totally strange men blocked your way, attempted to grab you, jostled and jeered at you out alone albeit in a public place, I expect you would find it extremely intimidating
Well I know I might unless I had my brolly with me to whack them.
CW comes across as a polite and mild mannered gentle gentleman - not someone to be manhandled or mocked by yobs.

Callistemon Thu 01-Jul-21 17:22:34

We let terrorists and murderers have a second chance in this country dont we?
Dont these two deserve the same?

It wasn't due to government intervention that this lout lost his job.
He worked for a private company which was customer-facing; they could not risk having an employee who might not be trusted to behave appropriately in front of clients and they would not want the bad publicity either.

I wouldn't want him working for me.

Callistemon Thu 01-Jul-21 17:24:50

CW comes across as a polite and mild mannered gentle gentleman - not someone to be manhandled or mocked by yobs.
He does and he doesn't seem to be the kind of person to whack them with his umbrella either.
If I'd been there, though, I certainly would have done and faced the consequences.

25Avalon Thu 01-Jul-21 17:38:54

Their faces were plastered all over the news. Would you want to be shown round a house alone with one of them? People get sacked for a lot less these days.