Gransnet forums

Chat

*Soop's* ever welcoming kitchen for kindly folk.

(1001 Posts)
soop Sun 04-Jul-21 18:34:38

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company...

Welcome. Make yourselves comfortable and let us share our celebrations and tribulations. It's what we do best.

flowers wine brew cupcake and a multitude of virtual hugs.

Susan56 Mon 02-Aug-21 17:16:19

Glad you are feeling better Ann and better news from kitty too?

An expensive morning this morning.DH’s glasses fell to pieces last week.One minute on his face,next minute in three pieces on the table?‍♀️Visit to the opticians and £600 to replace his glasses?On arriving home I lost half a tooth?so the absolute dread of a dental appointment again?

Glad you are feeling better Grandmabatty?

Have a lovely time with your daughters NandG and my sympathies with you re the dental appointment???

soop Mon 02-Aug-21 17:55:00

Dearest you lovely lot, I have read through all your latest news. Sorry that I'm unable to comment in a fulsome fashion right now.
I've spent an entire afternoon working hard in our garden. I am dirty, smelly and knackered. PLEASE forgive the briefness of this visit. I really must shower and make myself look presentable.
I am thinking of you all. I'm sure that you already know that to be a fact.

I shall do very much better tomorrow. That is a promise. smile moon

brook2704 Mon 02-Aug-21 20:02:46

Oh my goodness that’s an expensive day today Susan what with the glasses and the dental bill to come - hope that’s the end of it!

I’m a bit behind on the kitchen news as we’ve been away and the time just flies by, especially this time of year when I’m outside as much as I can. We’re home now anyhow and just going to eat beans on toast for tea as there’s not much in and we really couldn’t be bothered stopping at the shops on the way home. But I have got the essentials of course -a G&T for later ?
I’ve had a quick look around the garden and goodness me the weeds have certainly been busy whilst I’ve been away.. that’s tomorrow’s job sorted then
Your caramelised onion and Brie quiche sounds yummy grandmabatty I really must try to make more of an effort and cook a bit more. Cherry jam and lemon drizzle cake too - definitely puts me to shame!

So pleased you’re feeling a bit better Ann and hope you’re out and about again soon

Grandmabatty Mon 02-Aug-21 20:04:13

Susan break a match. Things come in threes! What a calamity. Soop take care. I'm resting after a day with my boy wonder. He had a crying fit this afternoon because I told him it was time to go home. But he hadn't napped and was tired so it wasn't all for love of grandma. See you tomorrow kitcheners. Take care x

annsixty Mon 02-Aug-21 20:42:06

I am feeling slightly better thanks but not helped by realising at lunchtime that today was 63 years since we married.
How could I forget, I must be losing it.

Hellogirl1 Mon 02-Aug-21 21:03:27

Bitter sweet memories, eh, Ann? But so glad you`re feeling better.
Soop, just be careful you don`t do too much out in the garden, save a bit of yourself for YOU.
A couple of photos, me with a near naked Hudson, well, it was HOT! Then Hudson with his mum and dad.

gillgran Mon 02-Aug-21 21:25:58

Lovely photos of Hudson & his parents & you, Hellogran.

Pleased you are feeling a little better ann, take care on this special day, flowers.

Warm wishes to you all. x

Grandmabatty Mon 02-Aug-21 21:38:42

What a gorgeous wee man Hellogirl. Annsixty ?

Nannytopsy Mon 02-Aug-21 21:44:40

Evening everyone!
All our little family were camping nearby for the weekend, so there were BBQs and trips to the coast, then yesterday was Christmas Day and they all came here. What a lovely weekend and every bed occupied for the first time since we moved.
And now, just like Christmas, we have a fridge full of cold turkey!
I hope all the appointments went well - those had better be good spectacles!

dustyangel Mon 02-Aug-21 23:17:32

I very much doubt that you are losing it annsixty. You were the first person on GN that I came across that convinced me that there was indeed life after eighty. Since then of course I’ve found many more, and I’m sure your temporary lapse was simply tiredness after the nasty bug you’ve had. I hope that you continue to improve.

kittylester Tue 03-Aug-21 07:02:46

U seemed to have missed this trend for having Christmas in summer. Thank goodness!!

Ann, you are not the only person to suffer from time blindness at the moment. My granddaughters test me each day - I sometimes get it right. Hope you are ok now.

Callgirl, what a fabulous baby.

Today is DD3's birthday and she should get the results of her MRI scan as a present! There is a theory that she might have passed the stones and that was what was causing the extreme pain. We can but hope.

Have a good day all.

Panache Tue 03-Aug-21 11:39:35

Saying a brief Hello to you all.

Am making some inroads and joining in, although somewhat without much purpose,but at least I am trying!!
Cannot yet settle and make any worth while commitments,in fact, I seem to be extremely confused.

Always heart warming joining in here.although I feel a strong desire to reprimand you dear Soop.........my word there is always tomorrow where one`s garden is concerned, so no more wearing yourself out!!!

Great seeing familiar faces,whilst to you all,I wish you a healthy and happy week ahead.

soop Tue 03-Aug-21 13:00:44

Dear Panache, you, my dear, are moving in the right direction. I find your sense of purpose, considering the almighty trauma you've been through, inspirational.

Hellogirl1 Wee Hudson is a real charmer. Two beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing.

kitty I'm hoping that the scan confirms that the stones have been passed. The pain from gall stones is wicked. I had nineteen removed with my gall bladder. They are kept in a jar in the knicker drawer. hmm

dusty I agree that ann's wee lapse of memory is possibly a result of the nasty bouts of nausea. Ann is as "with it" as anyone I know.

Nannytopsy Perhaps we should all decide when to celebrate Christmas. I bet you've had a swell time. Cold turkey and chutney sandwiches for lunch (and supper)? Yes please.

gillgran Warm wishes to you. smile

Brook I intended doing a few small jobs in the garden this afternoon. BUT...one of my hearing aids has packed up and I have to go to the audio clinic early this afternoon to get it sorted.

Grandmabatty smile

Have any of you had episodes of being woken by an enormous crashing sound in the early hours, only to find that nothing had crashed to the ground.? I've recently had three such experiences. It's a disturbing experience. I call for Mr Soop to reassure me. Only, he's fast asleep.

Grandmabatty Tue 03-Aug-21 13:13:44

Soop occasionally I wake convinced I heard something fall. I live alone and it always freaks me out. Nothing is ever found. Could it be some animal in your loft? Apparently squirrels sound like they're doing a tap dance in tackety boots

soop Tue 03-Aug-21 13:19:51

Grandmabatty I googled it. Guess what? There is a weird thing name "exploding head syndrome". Apparently total harmless. In a way, I am relieved. What with drop-bot etc., I am prepared to accept that it's a fairly common complaint. wink

soop Tue 03-Aug-21 13:24:29

Away to smarten myself up for a visit to the audio clinic.
Mr Soop wishes to pop into Tesco for a bottle of Champagne. He fancies mixing a bucks fizz for breakfast on the morning of my 80th birthday. Do we also need angostura bitters, a lump of sugar and fresh orange juice? Or am I confusing one cocktail with another?

soop Tue 03-Aug-21 13:25:22

I hope to return later. Do take care of yourselves. smile

Susan56 Tue 03-Aug-21 13:59:52

Oh my goodness, I definitely have exploding head syndrome.I often hear things go bump in the night except nothing has!

It’s lovely to hear from you panache, I agree with soop you are inspirational?

Ann?

Grandmabatty, the third thing was a wasps nest in the loft.Luckily only cost £35 to have sorted?

Hope the audio clinic goes well soop and I love Mr soops idea of Buck’s Fizz for your birthday breakfast??

We have another flying visit to West Wales tomorrow for my husbands uncles funeral.Sadly FIL isn’t allowed visitors although we have been told if we ring in the morning they may let us have a ten minute visit as we live so far away so????????

Hopefully I will be back in the kitchen with you all on Thursday.In the meantime take care and stay safe.x

Grandmabatty Tue 03-Aug-21 14:20:20

Bucks fizz only requires orange juice and champagne Soop. Susan glad you've had your three bits of bad luck. One is more than enough. Well sadly it looks like the boy wonder has outgrown naps. We went to the park this morning and both of us ran about. We were doing races as he's been watching the Olympics and is hot on " Ready, get set, go!" And grandma has to try and beat him. ( Not a chance ?) However he has told me " no nap grandma" and grandma really looks forward to the nap time. Anyway before I know it, he'll be at nursery and I'll only have a wee while with him. Enjoy your afternoon. I have that exploding head syndrome too!

Grandmafrench Tue 03-Aug-21 15:14:54

Hello everyone on another very warm day in French France!

Sooooo much activity here and, as a result of a mad and hectic day with things medical yesterday, I'm probably afflicted with some of Ann's recent brain fog and need a good rest to get my little grey cells back in apple pie order before imparting any news.

Doesn't sound as if your life is anything but bumpy at the moment, Susan - wishing hard for you that things settle down and you are able to stop worrying, travelling and paying out money! Hellogirl that babba only improves with time - he's like fine wine!!!!! His dear Granny is keeping up, though. What pretty hair. (And Hudson you can't compete with that).

Dear Panache, keep on going, lovely. Things will level out for you and when you open the curtains each day, life must become just a bit less hard. We're always here, remember, and welcome any old news or comment. We've worried so much about you - so don't disappoint us now. Even a little wave would be wonderful if you're not feeling up to it.

Exploding head syndrome, mmmm, that sounds horrid, but have to admit I have the very occasional loud explosion. It makes a decent change from my 24hour Tinnitus, but always makes me jump. It's good to know it's common and not something to be worried about.

Grandmabatty I did go for a Bone Scan and no, they did not cut out part of my leg to count the rings - as they do when they age trees. You're awful and clearly spend far too much time in the park chasing that little boy (and probably, trees!) I have a number of similarly 'awful' friends. One of whom, dearly loved, sent me this birthday card today. Just as well I've a sense of humour! All and any celebrations will be saved for next week when I shall finally be free of numerous appointments, tests, dental visits, doctor's appointments etc., which have literally filled up this week. Today I am having a feet-up-do-absolutely-nothing day. I feel I deserve it and will tolerate no arguments to the contrary.

Do hope you get your hearing aid fixed soop, that Mr Susan is on his feet again after the awful shock of spectacle replacement. For that price, I would expect to be given the Deeds of the shop, and a little small change! Evidence that GrandmaFrench is not living in the 21st Century, I think.

I shall wish you all a more than decent day - no stress, no more problems, something to smile at and don't forget, whatever else, please keep safe in or out of The Kitchen!

Love to all Peeps, present and missing. x?

Jaxjacky Tue 03-Aug-21 15:26:23

Hellogirl lovely photo of you and Hudson, Susan one of those periods £££, hope you get to see FIL.
Panache how lovely of you to pop in, you’ll find your own way, when ready ?
No nap, I’ll bet you had a momentary sigh Grandmabatty but, as you say, they’re little for such a short time.
DD got PCR results email back early am, Imogen +, DD -, Fin -, so, as she’s feeling a bit poorly DD did a lateral, positive. Text from NHS a couple of hours later DD +, she knew she’s got it, hoping Fin remains neg or it’s another 10 days isolation.
I’ve hoovered, washed floors, dusted and disinfected bins, typical me, do the minimum for a while, then blitz, had a recuperating bath. Tomorrow I will tackle the weeds and wash curtains, we have rain coming in on Thursday.
Catch up later, hope your visit to the clinic achieved soop.

Blossoming Tue 03-Aug-21 16:26:17

Good afternoon lovely Kitcheners. We had a day of unexpected sunshine so made the most of it working in the garden. I also got 2 washes done and drying on the line. Mr. B took some items to the charity shop and a couple of bags to the tip. The kitchen cupboards remain to be finished. We’re still speaking to each other so that’s a plus! I hope all the medical appointments have gone well, several of you seem to have family health issues ongoing and it must be so worrying. Only one of my many nieces and nephews, who is a teacher, has had Covid and luckily she is fine now. I do wonder about the long term effects though.

Thinking of you Panache you have been through such trauma and are holding your head up.

Yiayia4 Tue 03-Aug-21 17:09:13

Evening Kitcheners.We are having a few dog free days before Harper arrives on Thursday?
Dear Panache so good that your posting, still early days just remember we’re all here for you.
Hope your family recover very quickly Jax
Is it your Birthday Grandmafrench? If so a very happy birthday????
Have a pleasant evening all.

Grandmabatty Tue 03-Aug-21 17:23:40

Grandmafrench joyeaux anniversaire. ????❣️? I hope you have a lovely time, eventually. I am glad your legs are still intact and you can go surfing soon. JaxJacky poor Imogen. As if she didn't have enough to contend with. Panache my apologies for not mentioning you earlier. I feel you have dealt with all your woes in a dignified manner. ? The boy wonder is home and his grandma is contemplating a gin. Maybe too early. See you tomorrow x

soop Tue 03-Aug-21 17:42:49

Happy birthday, Grandmafrench. And yes, let's all celebrate with you when you've been and done all the appointment keeping. We all want you to enjoy in the celebrations. After all, it's only fair. wink So, we are Leo the Lions...a lovely, bossy friendly sign of the zodiac. grin

Jax Your family is going through a difficult time right now. Wishing them a speedy recovery.

Susan I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed on your behalf. A visit, no matter how brief, would be wonderful.

Thank you, Grandmabatty for confirming that there is no need for the bitters. We have an out of use by bottle. Best get rid.
Continue to enjoy every precious moment with your grandson. I have the best memories of time spent taking care of our youngest. He was a delight. Now, he's all "growed up".

The audio clinic lady was super efficient. She gave both aids a thorough sorting out, I also have several fresh packs of batteries.

We made an appointment to visit our pal in the care home. Need to have a Covid test and go walkabout for thirty minutes, if negative, we can enter his room. It's been a very long time since we last saw him.

A late sunny afternoon farewell to you all. I have every intention of being with you again tomorrow. smile moon

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion