Gransnet forums

Chat

moving home only to regret

(61 Posts)
Maddison Wed 04-Aug-21 17:22:36

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice?
We moved from a house into a bungalow 4 years ago
We settled in more or less straight away
We have renovated the bungalow throughout and in a few weeks are getting some of the windows replaced
We are in our seventies and this is our last home we bought the bungalow to make living easier as we get older
The last few weeks i have started thinking of our previous home and comparing it to our new one and i am having big regrets of moving i am really missing my lovely house i keep thinking why on earth did we sell it, there was nothing wrong with it! and finding fault in the bungalow comparing every single room and the outside space
i think this feeling has been coming on for a while a young couple moved in to the house at the bottom of the garden in the spring and they are really noisy when in the garden and have cut bushes down which has taken away our privacy we have had to buy some to try and get it back the other neighbours are lovely
i daren't tell my husband how i feel he wouldn't understand and wouldn't be happy with me, as we have spent all our savings on the renovation but i don't think i can settle back down and be happy i keep thinking this is not the forever home that i thought it was and i have made a massive mistake
i was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and could give me some advice?

Maddison Thu 05-Aug-21 12:50:43

Party4

We downsized after 36yrs in our family home.The sale was at time when few propertys were available and I feel we
moved under pressure of availability.It is very small, ideal for DH and myself but we later went on to have 4 DGC.We made sure we had a dining room to entertain the family and have had all DGC to sleep using double air bed/pull out singles and have them weekly helping with care.The property is detached with loads of outdoor play area which kids love. No one has actually said anything complementary about the property, only to comment how lovely our old house was.We have little contact with neighbours they are young ,working, car drivers, busy with their own lives.Covid made me aware how isolated we are with no one to call on in an emergency.It would appear unless you have property with multiple large bedrooms with en suites,large open plan kitchens with islands,utility rooms,log burners and decked,pebbled gardens with bbq's,bars,hot tubs etc etc they are not worth buying.I am, like you worrying if did right by moving or is it how we are left feeling post covid and shielded.

party4 do you know i think you have hit the nail on the head when people see what we have bought we never get any one saying what a lovely area you live in what a nice property some have said i can't believe you have moved, i can't believe you've moved here! not oh you've transformed the property you've done the right thing downsizing! things like that can knock your confidence i don't think they realise they could be upsetting you i think we bought this in a rush without actually thinking about do we really want a bungalow we have only had houses the thing i can't understand is why i am feeling like this over 4 years on it's strange how your feelings work i think covid has had an effect and having to stay in a lot too it's okay for people to have big houses multiple rooms etc... but have they got the big mortgage to go with them!! i hope you can stop worrying over your move it sounds like you have a lovely home take care

Party4

We downsized after 36yrs in our family home.The sale was at time when few propertys were available and I feel we
moved under pressure of availability.It is very small, ideal for DH and myself but we later went on to have 4 DGC.We made sure we had a dining room to entertain the family and have had all DGC to sleep using double air bed/pull out singles and have them weekly helping with care.The property is detached with loads of outdoor play area which kids love. No one has actually said anything complementary about the property, only to comment how lovely our old house was.We have little contact with neighbours they are young ,working, car drivers, busy with their own lives.Covid made me aware how isolated we are with no one to call on in an emergency.It would appear unless you have property with multiple large bedrooms with en suites,large open plan kitchens with islands,utility rooms,log burners and decked,pebbled gardens with bbq's,bars,hot tubs etc etc they are not worth buying.I am, like you worrying if did right by moving or is it how we are left feeling post covid and shielded.

party4 do you know i think you have hit the nail on the head when people see what we have bought we never get any one saying what a lovely area you live in what a nice property some have said i can't believe you have moved, i can't believe you've moved here! not oh you've transformed the property you've done the right thing downsizing! things like that can knock your confidence i don't think they realise they could be upsetting you i think we bought this in a rush without actually thinking about do we really want a bungalow we have only had houses the thing i can't understand is why i am feeling like this over 4 years on it's strange how your feelings work i think covid has had an effect and having to stay in a lot too it's okay for people to have big houses multiple rooms etc... but have they got the big mortgage to go with them!! i hope you can stop worrying over your move it sounds like you have a lovely home take care

Party4

Party4

party4 do you know i think you have hit the nail on the head when people see what we have bought we never get any one saying what a lovely area you live in what a nice property some have said i can't believe you have moved, i can't believe you've moved here! not oh you've transformed the property you've done the right thing downsizing! things like that can knock your confidence i don't think they realise they could be upsetting you i think we bought this in a rush without actually thinking about do we really want a bungalow we have only had houses the thing i can't understand is why i am feeling like this over 4 years on it's strange how your feelings work i think covid has had an effect and having to stay in a lot too it's okay for
people to have big houses multiple rooms etc... but have they got the big mortgage to go with them!! i hope you can stop worrying over your move it sounds like you have a lovely home take care

Katyj Thu 05-Aug-21 13:31:54

Thank you Maddison. I resonate with what party 4 said too. No one has been to my home with the exception of one friend and paid me a compliment, I had lots at the other house regarding decorations etc, this house is very similar in furnishings ? makes you wonder ,
and does dent the confidence.

Maddison Fri 06-Aug-21 13:28:16

Yes it does dent the confidence, Katyj and makes you ask why and wonder if their secretly thinking you shouldn't have moved that's what i keep telling myself though so if they are thinking that they are right just a few more jobs getting done here that are already booked in then i will give it until the new year and see how i feel, you only have one life and with us being at the older end you don't know what is around the corner but we both need to be happy to get back on track i hope i can thank you for your support it means a lot

Eloethan Fri 06-Aug-21 17:58:41

From what you say, you were reasonably happy in your bungalow until fairly recently.

I expect the noisy neighbours haven't helped the situation but perhaps it's also because you have spent a lot of money on renovation and are feeling more financially vulnerable now, and/or perhaps the renovation hasn't been as satisfying to you as you had imagined it would be.

In some areas bungalows are not that commonplace and are much sought after. I believe they hold their value very well. If you continue to feel very unhappy, perhaps you could broach the subject of moving again if it is financially feasible. Unfortunately, though, prospective neighbours can move too and be replaced by troublesome neighbours so you won't necessarily be guaranteed the peace and quiet you would like.

Maddison Sat 07-Aug-21 12:54:28

Thank you for all your messages,
Think i need to see this year out and see what the new year brings, i can't see me feeling any different so there is probably a chance that we will eventually move and hopefully i will be more settled it's not the area, it's the bungalow think i will always find fault with it or, maybe a sudden miracle will happen and i will like it again, time will tell
thank you everyone you are kind people

NotSpaghetti Sat 07-Aug-21 17:30:30

Is it possible that any bungalow would be less interesting than the home you left? I have been bungalow hunting a couple of years ago and most of them are very "straightforward".
Not dull or plain but sort-of "ordinary" really.

If you spend a massive sum (to me at least) you may get a unique architect designed one in a lovely setting but basically I felt they were mainly looking for functionality.

I think if I was older, functionality would be key. I would be less concerned about "character" (which our hard-to-clean Victorian home has in spades) and more bothered about ease of getting about, hoovering etc.
Is it possible that you suddenly feel you aren't quite ready for this?

I expect the new neighbours have just made you question what you are doing there when you were quite settled before.

Maddison Mon 09-Aug-21 16:40:43

NotSpaghetti

Is it possible that any bungalow would be less interesting than the home you left? I have been bungalow hunting a couple of years ago and most of them are very "straightforward".
Not dull or plain but sort-of "ordinary" really.

If you spend a massive sum (to me at least) you may get a unique architect designed one in a lovely setting but basically I felt they were mainly looking for functionality.

I think if I was older, functionality would be key. I would be less concerned about "character" (which our hard-to-clean Victorian home has in spades) and more bothered about ease of getting about, hoovering etc.
Is it possible that you suddenly feel you aren't quite ready for this?

I expect the new neighbours have just made you question what you are doing there when you were quite settled before.

your right thank you, we should have probably stuck to living in a house with a smaller garden we thought a bungalow would be good and it's a nice shaped one, not the usual corridor type we had a passerby asking us about two year ago if we were thinking of selling, he was interested, so i know it will sell at the right price they don't all that often come on the market and when they do their a silly price, will see what the new year brings if i can hang on in there with my feelings thank you for taking time to answer