Gransnet forums

Chat

Can you “fall in love” with a voice?

(132 Posts)
MawBe Sat 07-Aug-21 22:26:39

Or at least go all gooey over one?
My mum used to love listening to the actor Alan Badel on the radio - his smooth tones absolutely “sent” her grin
I was dozing in bed last night to last weekend’s “Golden Age of Broadway” Prom on BBC Sounds - songs from all my favourite musicals but woke up to hear Clarke Peters (the actor) singing This Nearly Was Mine from South Pacific. What a beautiful rich, smooth deep voice he has, like a mug of Hôtel Chocolat cocoa, and I was well away!
If you are interested it’s about 38 minutes or so in, on last Saturdays Prom on BBC Sounds
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ypjn

fairfraise Sun 08-Aug-21 09:36:08

For me it's the voice of the man in my local library who would often ring in the afternoon to tell me my book was in. Even my DH remarked on his voice. He has the added bonus of looking like Hugh Jackman. Not seen him for 18 months! Famous voices - James Stewart and Richard Burton.

Redhead56 Sun 08-Aug-21 09:36:51

Scott Walker Charley Pride a deep toned voice is irresistible.

Redhead56 Sun 08-Aug-21 09:45:32

Charley Rich the list is endless.

Grandma70s Sun 08-Aug-21 09:45:50

Baggs

Richard Burton reading Dylan Thomas's Under Milk Wood.

Emma Kirkby singing medieval or baroque songs.

Oh yes. I saw Emma Kirkby live once. She sang Schubert and Handel - not at all what I expected!

Going back a bit, I loved Peter Pears’s voice. It was so human and intimate. I saw him live, too.

Anniebach Sun 08-Aug-21 09:55:20

Richard Burton reading Dylan Thomas poems

Alan Rickman reading Sonnet 130

Michael Sheen reading Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Nannylovesshopping Sun 08-Aug-21 10:15:27

Andrew Cotter, yummy, and he loves dogs?

BlueSky Sun 08-Aug-21 10:29:53

Oh yes Baggs Richard Burton! In his case the voice matched the appearance, but usually it’s not the case. Many times while I was working I was mesmerised by somebody’s voice only to be disappointed when I actually met them.

JackyB Sun 08-Aug-21 11:01:09

A voice that has stood out for me recently was David Oyelowo (I think that's how you spell it)

henetha Sun 08-Aug-21 11:11:27

I love Welsh voices. Richard Burton was wonderful, and Anthony Hopkins, Michael Sheen,- and Max Boyce years ago.

Namsnanny Sun 08-Aug-21 11:17:18

Apparently,Richard Burton was well known for using his voice to seduce would be lovers.
Rosemary Kingsland said it worked for her!
Me too, but with my husband. We 'met' over the phone through work.
I'm still in love with his voice, maybe not with what he says so much now. grin
But definitely still love his voice.

Zoejory Sun 08-Aug-21 11:18:59

Nannylovesshopping

Andrew Cotter, yummy, and he loves dogs?

Oh, hear, hear!

I adore that man. And his tales with Olive and Mabel are wonderful.

Zoejory Sun 08-Aug-21 11:19:41

I also go weak at the knees at the sound of a Belfast accent. Definitely my favourite.

Casdon Sun 08-Aug-21 11:21:21

If I was 40 years younger, George Ezra has a lovely voice, both singing and speaking. I also love the voice of Gregory Porter.

Jaxjacky Sun 08-Aug-21 11:38:47

I first spoke to my now husband on the ‘phone, NYE 1998, he was in Donegal with mutual friends. Still love his Irish accent now, it’s a bit watered down from twenty odd years in England, but returns quickly when he speaks to family or old friends.

annodomini Sun 08-Aug-21 11:53:41

I once did! Many, many years ago. Took some time for the enchantment of the voice to wear out, but in the long run...even a rat can have a seductive voice!

Nannylovesshopping Sun 08-Aug-21 11:56:00

Zoejory agree, Olive and Mabel are wonderful, they were so uplifting to watch during Covid, the one walking up to the mountain, think it was the last one, bought tears to my eyes.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 08-Aug-21 11:56:41

JackyB

A voice that has stood out for me recently was David Oyelowo (I think that's how you spell it)

Yes, me too, if you’re thinking about the man who presented ‘ A house through time’. Not so much fall in love, as fall asleep. It’s so relaxing.

Platypus Sun 08-Aug-21 12:02:16

Many many years ago I ran the back office of a futures broking firm in Sydney and spoke everyday to sort out trading problems with a fellow who did the equivalent job at an American firm. He had a beautiful voice and I would daydream about how gorgeous I was sure he must be. We got on famously as well, he even started calling me his Miss Perfect.

After about a year we finally organised to meet for lunch when he was in Sydney. I thought I was actually going to meet the man of my dreams, be swept off my feet and live happily ever after.

I spotted him across the restaurant as the waiter took me to his table, he was even better than I imagined, I actually went weak at the knees. As I sat down, he stood up, took my hand to shake and said “I certainly wasn’t expecting a blonde bimbo” picked up his jacket and left.

From that day on, he always got his second in charge to take my calls and we never spoke again.

I was truly devastated.

Sara1954 Sun 08-Aug-21 12:09:10

John Humphries for me.
I talk to people a lot on the phone, and I love a broad northern accent, I always feel they would take good care of you, and be practical and capable.

BlueSky Sun 08-Aug-21 12:15:17

Oh Platypus how rude! Why on earth did he feel he had to say that? Lucky escape for you.

Antonia Sun 08-Aug-21 13:20:55

I love listening to Jim Carter. Such a deep, gruff voice. He was absolutely the right choice for Carson in Downton Abbey.

GillT57 Sun 08-Aug-21 13:53:11

Alan Rickman for sure. Michael Kitchen too. Richard Burton.

TerriBull Sun 08-Aug-21 14:33:20

The most favoured voice that I would personally opt to listen to reading would definitely be the late Richard Burton, there are others but his springs to mind because his voice was just so mesmerising.

MayBee70 Sun 08-Aug-21 14:45:04

When my marriage ended a friend put me in touch with someone whose marriage had also ended. We spoke on the phone for along time before we actually met and I can still remember how much I loved his voice the first time we spoke. He wasn’t at all good looking but we went on to have a short lived relationship. It was long distance and would never have worked out but I was devastated when it ended. But we’re still good friends and still chat on the phone. I still love his voice.

threexnanny Sun 08-Aug-21 15:46:25

Welsh voices for me too especially Richard Burton although I am quite sure I would not have liked him in person.

I agree about pilot's voices too they all sound nice and reassuring - must be in the job description!