Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday 14th august 2021

(63 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 14-Aug-21 06:04:20

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry but dull grey cloud over brackley this morning ,today will see a bus journey to Buckingham and bicester returning via Buckingham ,and hopefully the flea market will be on.
cycling on tV will take remainder up with the start of the Vuelta in Spain .
I may also have my usual Chinese Take Away.
Take Care,
Mick

NannyJan53 Sat 14-Aug-21 08:11:12

Good morning from a cloudy but still warm Black Country.

Our flooring in the Living room is now complete. We are sitting on our garden chairs until the new sofa and chairs arrive next Thursday.

Spent a pleasant afternoon sitting in my friends garden chatting. She said how we were all together 44 years ago. It was her 44th wedding anniversary. Sadly her DH died in 2004 aged only 49.

We drove over to near Kidderminster last night, as I had made a booking for 8.30pm for fish and chips as they had a buy one get one free offer. We walked in and thought it seemed fairly quiet. The girl behind the bar said, we stop serving food at 8.00pm. So I showed the online booking on my phone. Which I hadn't noticed was 8.30 am! She said, I did have a no show this morning!! So off to the chippy on the way home smile

Best wishes to olddudders Ashcombe and it won't be long before you can travel over. Thinking of your DD too, it seems young to have cataracts.

Good news Scentia hopefully your family are all on the mend now.

Just watching the News on TV, and I am beyond saddened what happened in Plymouth, cannot stop thinking about that little girl.

NannyJan53 Sat 14-Aug-21 08:15:25

Oh Marydoll MrJ is the same, he definitely needs hearing aids. In fact he was supplied with some in 2012, but he took them out as he said everything was too loud. I have to repeat myself often now! I have worn hearing aids for 16 years now and could not manage without them. It seems to be mainly men who are stubborn about this?

Susan56 Sat 14-Aug-21 08:30:12

Good morning from Shropshire.

We are looking after Henry today.DH also has to collect his new glasses so hoping Henry’s nap coincides with his appointment????????

Good news from Scentia and Ash?

Have a good day all??

Gingster Sat 14-Aug-21 08:47:16

Hope you all have a pleasant day ?

dragonfly46 Sat 14-Aug-21 08:48:24

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

Brilliant news that OD has a scan so quickly. My DiL had to wait 3 weeks for hers and the another 2 for the results.
Good to hear the family are doing well Scentia.

We have a delivery this morning of compost and I need to go into town so hoping it will be left in a safe place and not with the neighbour!

BlueSapphire Sat 14-Aug-21 08:53:14

Good morning everyone from a fairly bright Northampton. Just put a load of towels in the washing machine.

Managed to get the grass cut yesterday, but it was hard going as it had got quite long and the mower batteries ran out quicker than usual. May cut the front grass today and hack at some well overgrown shrubs which have finished flowering.

Medication review went quite well yesterday; I managed to get some eczema cream prescribed, and also reduce my anti-depressant dose by half as I am determined to come off them.

Apart from that it will be the Saturday papers, crosswords and puzzles.

Will now go back and read everyone's posts. Wishes to all for a good Saturday.

Stilllearning Sat 14-Aug-21 08:57:04

Morning from S Lanarkshire, as baubles said, very dull sky.

Glad to see some progress for your DH Ashcombe, although it still seems very rough for him, I hope you can be together soon.

Things seem to be sorted here re TV mess. Two nice older men came from a nearby tv connection business and didn’t blind me with science so I was able to calm down and make some decisions.

Going with a friend this afternoon, to see a local youth group called Shine who are performing a musical version of Midsummer’s Night Dream. They are very good and I’m looking forward to it. Going out for a meal afterwards so a nice day to look forward to.

Wishing everyone a good day, especially those of us who are struggling a bit or feeling down just now. ???

B9exchange Sat 14-Aug-21 09:00:41

Aarrgh, post disappeared after I added a picture! ,Ash hoping both DH's scan shows something fixable and DD can get an early cataract op. Good news Scentia, and you nearly have your freedom back. Hope everyone else's worries begin to fade. Marydoll it is a good thing I don't eat breakfast, or there would be cornflakes splattered everywhere.

Yesterday I made this cake for DS's birthday today, we are planning a picnic in the park if the rain holds off. My new sewing machine arrived yesterday, very exciting, couldn't unpack it till the evening. No button foot, curses, ordered one from A'zon then watched a YouTube video about unpacking the machine. Hidden inside the extension table is the button foot. It could have been there for years if I hadn't found that video! Good thing it is easy to cancel on that infamous shopping site!

Hope everone feels a touch of sun today.

Pittcity Sat 14-Aug-21 09:06:49

Good morning from sunny Colchester.
We need to shop today as DS declared, "There's no food in this house!" at 9pm last night. We suggested he visited the supermarket but he's reluctant to part with his cash when he knows that I will feed him for free.
Otherwise it's a weekend of this and that with, maybe, a bit more decorating preparation in the kitchen diner.

Love to all x

Grandmafrench Sat 14-Aug-21 09:08:29

Good Morning everyone. Breakfast in the courtyard will be just about manageable at 28 degrees. Dogs were out earlier - a lot earlier before the sun arrived! It’s ages since we had a full English, monk - the end of the winter, I think. We then used the last of our stash of wonderful Irish sausages - made and sold by an Irish lady who has set up a very successful business down here in the French countryside.

Glad to hear much more promising news, Scentia - and don’t feel you’re failing just because your plumbing efforts are getting harder…..lots of us can struggle with things like that, even when we’re really young and fully fit. ?‍♀️

Had to turn on the hoses and soak the garden completely last night - even the hedges. Lots of my plants were beginning to look like I feel! This morning, though, they’re very perky again : so I shall attempt to follow their example! ??.

OK, cold shower done, sunscreen on, sundress on, big hat on, breakfast on the table…..and there’s a mango with my name on it! Into the day I go.

Have the best day, dear GM’ers; and to those with pain or struggles, sending you hugs and hope for today and every day.
So loved your photo Nanagarra - stay safe everyone.
?????‍♀️

Grandmafrench Sat 14-Aug-21 09:14:42

Oh, you’ve got my name wrong, B9, otherwise that’s absolutely perfect! What talent.

Dogsmakemesmile Sat 14-Aug-21 09:19:16

Morning everyone and a special hello to Ash and Scentia. I hope it is ok to say that as I haven't been here long. Hopefully we are going for a drive soon. Very excited as have not left house for two weeks. Stand rather pathetically in door way at times to see people! Plus of course I am lucky enough to have a garden so get out there with Ddog. Cool and grey here which is fine by me. We may buy a takeaway tonight. Haven't done that since January. Have a good day everyone.

Gelisajams Sat 14-Aug-21 09:25:20

Good morning from a dry Morecambe Bay. The attached picture is for Ekwa showing the tidal flooding by our old house on the Solway Salt marshes where she visited the other day.
We are deliberating getting an electric car. We looked yesterday and are very tempted. We could just do with a Crystal ball for the future!
Take care and stay safe everyone

Blossoming Sat 14-Aug-21 09:40:03

Good morning all from Sunny Lancashire. The dentist visit was good, no treatment needed at present. I don’t like the hygienist part, but appreciate it all helps keep me healthy. Afterwards we met Mr. B’s sister and her husband on the marina for a coffee and a chat. He is recovering from recent surgery, so he is under orders to rest and avoid infection and no driving, luckily she is a competent driver.

Grammaretto Sat 14-Aug-21 09:41:50

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Sun's up!
Family are descending on me today, in advance of my birthday. Not sure how that works. confused
We will see.
Some have been holidaying in the Highlands. so it will be good to hear their tales.

Oh my Gelisajams that picture looks like a cautionary tale.
I now know a few people with electric cars and they all say they love them. I guess you learn where all the charging points are and plan your journeys accordingly.

I shall run my old petrol toyota into the ground first.

Marydoll what a stressful day for you and how did you get out of the bath?
Better news from Ash and from Scentia, thankfully.
B9 can I order one of those please.

Blossoming Sat 14-Aug-21 09:45:30

Posted too soon! Hope your husband is feeling better Ashcombe.

Georgesgran Sat 14-Aug-21 09:53:46

Good morning from Durham where it’s clouded over since I came downstairs. Pizza night with DD1 and family went well last night. We are taking DGS to the zoo later as his Daddy has a long shift today. I got them a zoo pass instead of Easter eggs - so they can pop in any time, even just for half an hour.
Fish and chips with a friend planned for this evening - a monthly treat.

EkwaNimitee Sat 14-Aug-21 09:59:22

Good Morning Mick and everyone from warmish bright Carlisle.
I have already been out and back, I had a booked appointment at the recycling centre. The first time I'd been to this one, all very well organised and clean. I got rid of yet more 'stuff'. This coming week I hope to hit the charity shops with another load and then that should be it.
Yesterday I finally made myself get down to applying the linseed oil onto my dining table and chairs. I was almost put off by reading dire warnings about spontaneous combustion but apparently that only applies to the used oily rags, they have to be put straight into soapy water once you've finished with them. Halfway through I remembered that it was Friday 13th and also that my other name is Mrs Messy! Fortunately, all went well and the table looks better than when I bought it. Today I'll be doing the same with a matching nest of little tables.
Thanks for that interesting photo, Gelisajams. It looks like a slope on that drive so hopefully you didn't worry about the house flooding.
Wishing you all a good weekend and an improvement in pains, worries and problems to all those suffering.

hollysteers Sat 14-Aug-21 10:15:57

Good morning Mick and all from a nice day on the Lancashire coast.
Gardener started at 8 and pleased as it’s a jungle out there, he’s being ruthless, my late husband would be pleased.
There is a watercolour demo at a local art shop this afternoon, might go along for inspiration, it’s just parking on a Saturday that’s a bother, could get the bus! Started using the bus, then lockdown happened…
Really enjoyed the Lucien Freud exhibition yesterday, what an artist. Not a huge display, but enough. Followed by a nice meal and intelligent conversation with my cultured/absent minded professor type close friend who needs a haircut. There’s longish hair on a man which looks good, then there’s longish mad looking hair which doesn’t. Guess which he has?
Plenty of street entertainment from drunks too. Glad I have given up the demon drink except for one gin and tonic.
Thoughts to dragonfly Scentia harrigran and all with worries.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 14-Aug-21 10:46:10

Good Morning all from grey but dry Harrogate.
Thank you B9exchange for that lovely cake, the only problem is it isn't my birthday (I've had too many so far). We managed our trip to Ripon on the bus yesterday, a very small but pleasant city. Did a lot of bargain hunting and came home with a raincoat for the GC and one for me. DH left mine behind the door of our room in a hotel in Hereford. He didn't see it when he lifted his own jacket off the hook. Mind you I suppose a navy jacket on a white door could be tricky to see!
My DH seems to have almost perfect hearing - I say almost, because it is definitely selective, consequently he doesn't understand my hearing problem - I cannot have a conversation with the TV on. Mind you our TV transmitter went on fire during the week and we are not getting so much TV now. Ironic that in Harrogate we get Tyne Tees TV in preference to Yorkshire (we do get Yorkshire on cable, though)
Think I shall have a bit of a nothingness day today.
Hope you all have the best day you can folks.

Roseflower5 Sat 14-Aug-21 10:59:13

Good morning everyone. It’s a dull day, but fresh, would prefer a bit of sunshine. All the best.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 14-Aug-21 11:16:43

Morning Mick and all

Gravy Grange is still full, very noisy and very busy. I seem to be constantly in the kitchen provided, meals, drinks and snacks, but I am loving it ?

Warm and muggy, hopefully we shall see the sun.

I will try and catch up with all of your news but cannot guarantee it ?

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️?

B9exchange Sat 14-Aug-21 11:34:07

Happy to share cake virtually with you all, but it will be a long time before I can face making another one! ??? problem is, what do I do with all the left over maltesers, giant chocolate buttons and mini smarties...confused

dustyangel Sat 14-Aug-21 11:40:19

Good morning all from a very warm Portugal. We have a white but not cloudy sky and there is a difference between sun and shade and it’s so hot that a blast of hot air came in when I opened one of the windows. But still no sun, at least it’s more restful for my eyes.

I’ve only skimmed the first page so far but I did see Marydoll’s latest adventure. I’m so sorry to hear of the extra pain you’re in at the moment Marydoll but can’t help laughing at your bathroom mishaps. I think your DH might have a secret twin who is my DH although a few years ago he did hear my calls when I couldn’t get out of the tub!
We were spending a weekend at a London hotel courtesy of GN. One of their prize giveaways. Getting in the bath was fine but when I went to get out the bottom of it was so highly polished that my feet went from under me and I floundered like a whale. DH came to my aid but decided that it would be easier if he got in as well and of course his feet shot from under him and he landed on top of me.
I hope no one is trying to imagine this as it was not a pretty sight.blush Even worse when I thought thank goodness this isn’t on Candid Camera and started giggling. Obviously we eventually got out and without calling for help but it does explain that while I will get in a bath just to make sure I still can, I have my shower there rather sitting down and risk calling the fire brigade.

dustyangel Sat 14-Aug-21 11:43:06

Come to think of it, we both had bruises afterwards and we complained and drew it to the attention of the management afterwards.