Gransnet forums

Chat

Arachnophobia…

(246 Posts)
Shinamae Thu 19-Aug-21 18:20:16

Just started a thread about this, could not post it and when I went back after refreshing it had just disappeared! So let’s try again.… A few months ago I moved my bedroom downstairs so that my son and his girlfriend could have my bedroom and use their bedroom as a lounge. I invested in some French doors and 1/2 is just a window with a skylight opening and the other half is an opening door, I am a bit concerned that the spiders might find it a bit easier to get to me now that I am downstairs so I have bought some peppermint oil That is mixed with water and liberally sprayed around the curtains, I have also put some oil on a piece of cotton wool and rub that round the frame of the window. I have had encounters with spiders in the past, once felt what I thought was a moth on my face,just nodding off and brushed it off and in the morning woke up to find a big spider about 3 inches from my face, also a blockage in my shower which I removed, being very shortsighted did not realise until I got out and looked in the sink where I had thrown it that it was again a big spider! Also I now never get into my bed since on getting into bed one night turning back the duvet there was a bloody great spider galloping up the bed and disappearing down the back of the headboard so now check pillows and duvet. As it is getting cooler I am sure they will be planning their route into my bedroom…??‍♀️??‍♀️?

Shinamae Thu 19-Aug-21 23:31:43

Note to self,clean round window edges properly!!!…??‍♀️??‍♀️??‍♀️

Teacheranne Fri 20-Aug-21 00:01:02

I use a spider catcher from Lakeland ( a clear tube with batteries that works like a vacuum cleaner) I can get into the corners of the room where the daddy long leg type ones linger in Spring and Summer then they get flushed down the toilet - several pieces of toilet paper on top to stop them surviving by floating!

My understanding is that the big hairy ones we see in the autumn are looking for the daddy long leg type ones to mate with. Hence removing the temptation has seemed to reduce drastically the invasion of hairy spiders! I check the corners, ceiling and skirting boards of my bedroom every night, all year long and remove the buggers straight away, however small they are - as baby ones grow into big ones!

I live in a bungalow so sleep downstairs and once we get into spider season, I don’t open the windows at night, just air my room for an hour or so each morning. Even so, I was reading late at night the other week and a blighter dropped down on my face just as I was about to switch the light off! That night I slept with the light on!

Calendargirl Fri 20-Aug-21 07:10:56

Spiders, daddy long legs don’t worry me at all, just scoop them up and put outside. “Never kill a spider”.

But mice……

vegansrock Fri 20-Aug-21 07:18:53

Try to think positively about spiders. They do a lot of good in the insect ecosystem and are not a threat to you in anyway. Get one of those spider catchers and deposit the spider out in the garden ( alive) .

Jaxjacky Fri 20-Aug-21 08:09:09

I’m quite happy to scoop them up in my hand and pop them outside, DH runs a mile!

Lucca Fri 20-Aug-21 08:43:48

On a walk with grandson 3 years ago (?) in Sydney I said “oh look at that big spider on the fence”
“That’s not big granny”.
?

Caleo Fri 20-Aug-21 08:59:38

I find it slightly helpful to think of people who have been imprisoned in dungeons with rats and spiders, and I suppose they must have become accustomed to the beasts.

SueDonim Fri 20-Aug-21 13:59:14

Oh the very thought of spiders fornicating in my house! shock They’re the devil’s horsemen, they must be eliminated from my world! ?

timetogo2016 Fri 20-Aug-21 14:03:57

We have 2 KARLSTEN plug ins Shinamae.
Sorry for late reply.

Gwyneth Fri 20-Aug-21 14:33:51

I love spiders fascinating creatures. I wish people wouldn’t kill them. They’re harmless at least the ones in this country.

Amberone Fri 20-Aug-21 14:39:03

I managed to ignore my fear of spiders for the years I lived in Sydney, big as they were - I was too horrified by the cockroaches. I lived in quite an old but beautiful apartment near Kings Cross and it was almost impossible to get rid of the damn things.

Fennel Fri 20-Aug-21 15:10:11

Amberone We lived in Singapore for 2 years and it was the same for cockroaches. When we first moved into our house I opened the door under the kitchen sink and a crown of them came flooding out around my feet shock.
and there were jumping spiders there, very aggressive. So we're fortunate - at least ours are placid.

SueDonim Fri 20-Aug-21 15:17:29

Ugh, cockroaches are vile, too. We got them when we lived in Indonesia and Nigeria. Local people didn’t seem to worry about the spiders but they universally loathed cockroaches. The big spiders didn’t come into our homes but the tiny jumping spiders did, and they can make people very ill indeed. Afaik, it’s not the actually bite, but it seems to set up some sort of response in the body. A friend spent weeks in ICU after a bite and has never got fully better.

Blossoming Fri 20-Aug-21 15:23:20

I have 3 big brothers. You soon learn not to show fear of anything that could be used to tease you grin

Amberone Fri 20-Aug-21 16:22:34

Fennel Fortunately when I lived in Singapore I was too young to worry about things like spiders and cockroaches ?

When I was about 10 I used to have a street light outside my bedroom window. I saw the outline of a spider running down the curtain and jumped out of bed to switch on the light. A huge spider was sitting in the middle of my bedspread. I picked up a shoe and threatened it for ages (I never could bear to actually hurt anything) until finally my Dad saw the light on and came in to see why. He collapsed laughing at the picture of me, in tears, waving a shoe at a spider. The cartoon Shinamae posted reminded me ?

NotTooOld Fri 20-Aug-21 16:36:56

So which is the best spider catcher, please? I've just looked on Amazon and there are a lot to choose from. I hate the b******s so don't want to get too close. I also don't mind if they get killed in the removal process - sorry.

MissAdventure Fri 20-Aug-21 16:49:24

I can recommend the electric tennis bat.
It costs £1 (from poundland) and it means you can bash 'em from quite far away.
It sizzles them up, dries them out, and they stick to the wire until you bang the bat over a bin.
Sorry to those of a sensitive nature, but I'm petrified of spiders.

NotTooOld Fri 20-Aug-21 17:15:39

MissAdventure, we've got one of those tennis bats but no way could I use it on a big house spider. Surely they would take ages to die and in the meantime I'd be bashing away, terrified. The worst thing I ever tried was spraying one with hair spray. It went completely barmy and raced round and round like a mad thing. I think it died in the end but I was a nervous wreck by then. Has anyone tried hoovering them up with the vacuum cleaner pipe? Did it die or just crawl out of the pipe as soon as you turned the motor off. I really need to know this as my DH is going away for a couple of nights soon and I will be at their mercy.

Amberone Fri 20-Aug-21 17:24:55

My MiL used to spray spiders with hair spray - so gross. Her walls and mirrors would end up covered in it when there were a lot of spiders around. I told her if she ever did anything so cruel in my house I would spray her all over and chuck her in the garden ( she didn't like me anyway ? ).

beth20 Fri 20-Aug-21 17:43:40

I don't mind spiders once I've got over the initial surprise if they scuttle across the carpet. We have a glass with a piece of paper in each room ready to remove them when they arrive indoors.
We also have a string ladder hanging from the bath tap so they can rescue themselves from the bath. Haven't worked out how to teach the woodlice to climb a ladder yet though.

Shinamae Fri 20-Aug-21 18:04:19

A friend of mine used to incapacitate the spiders with shaving foam. My dad would leave an old towel draped over the side of the bath for a spider to come out, nothing as sophisticated as the ladder for us!!
I am afraid of them (I think it’s the way they move, so fast, and they’re not exactly cuddly ????(Ricky Gervais did a fascinating and hilarious description on one of his DVDs I think it must’ve been the “Animal” one )but would not kill one deliberately. I ordered electronic devices from Amazon and they arrived today, it’s very hard to situate them where there is no furniture blocking them though…?

Shinamae Fri 20-Aug-21 18:07:22

Hope it works …..?‍♀️

MissAdventure Fri 20-Aug-21 18:16:43

NotTooOld
It's a very fast process with the bat; plus, I think I hit them as hard as I would if they were an elephant. blush
It's either that, or having to evacuate the flat.

Fennel Fri 20-Aug-21 18:29:29

You cruel people - leave them alone!

MissAdventure Fri 20-Aug-21 18:40:19

I do when they're outside.
Once they come in though, it's a different story.
I cannot live with them inside the house; they have to go, and I've not found a different way to do it.

Hoover? Yes, they do come back out of the pipe.
Ultrasonic plug ins? Don't work.
Spider catcher from betterware? Chops their legs off as it slams shut.
Glass and paper? Tried that, broke the glass, wet my pants and cut my hand.