Gransnet forums

Chat

A bit of nostalgia. Remember these!

(269 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 30-Sep-21 22:49:28

Embassy coupons. Green shield stamps. A pair of nylons.

A Ten shilling note. Winkle picker shoes. LSD.

A fountain pen. Brylcreem. Winkle pickers.

Bouffant hair style. A spin dryer. 33 RPM records.

A wind up record player. Stiletto heels.

eazybee Fri 01-Oct-21 13:59:40

The tortoiseshell paraffin convector stove in the hall
dialling the number on the phone
party lines
postal orders sent specially to buy fireworks; half a crown, five shillings, ten shillings (if you were really lucky)
fire irons
the coal scuttle
the coke hod
the coal hole
the velvet curtain on the back of the door to keep out drafts
unfitted carpets laid over black painted floorboards
stair rods
(many to do with trying to heat houses without central heating; climate change protesters have no idea)

mrsmopp Fri 01-Oct-21 14:16:14

Bouncing a tennis ball against a wall, with your friends in a line behind you waiting for their turn.
We didn’t have many toys.
Hopscotch on the pavement.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Oct-21 14:33:58

Family conversation in winter consisting largely of, ‘Shut that door!’ when we had only coal fires for heating

Reminded me of Larry Grayson there Witzend!
?

ixion Fri 01-Oct-21 14:59:30

Kunzel cakes!
Collecting the coloured cardboard tickets on bus journeys, after they had been punched by the conductor/tress.
AND never being allowed those much admired fingerless gloves they wore.

Lucca Fri 01-Oct-21 15:31:09

Your grandpa slipping half a crown in your hand at the end of a visit (maybe twice a year ?)?

On the other hand….sanitary belts ☹️

Yammy Fri 01-Oct-21 15:47:42

Ashcombe

Liberty bodices!
Chapped legs.
Wagon Wheels

Liberty bodices the bane of my life especially the ones from the Co oP that had rubber buttons every year mum would promise I would not wear one if I put Knee socks on and every year she made me wear one.
Vests with cap sleeves and shoulders like babies.
Navy blue Knickers for PE with a pocket it you were lucky.
Airtex school P.E tops.
Divided skirts for PE that had to touch the Gym floor and were thick and hot

Yammy Fri 01-Oct-21 16:07:44

Tokens for the Coop milk delivery.
Wearing red knee socks and blouses in the sixth form with a red felt hat that had a tassel to our shoulder, boys wore cricket caps with the school initials on them. How the secondary school laughed at us.
Collecting snow at school and keeping it in the luggage hold for 8 miles, to be thrown off the bus when we were pelted with snowballs at our own town the buses had no doors.
mums remarking on the colour of other peoples net curtains.
Red or White carinal for steps and window sills
Old brass armament shells and miners lamps as ornaments on mantlepieces

Daisend1 Fri 01-Oct-21 16:27:48

Saturday morning cinema for children.Smiths crisps with those little curled up 'paper twirls of salt to sprinkle over.

NotAGran55 Fri 01-Oct-21 16:35:47

Farthings

Jane43 Fri 01-Oct-21 16:46:58

Sunsilk shampoo
Amami setting lotion
Wig hats (a very brief craze)
Z Cars, Wagon Train and 77 Sunset Strip on tv
Tubes with sherbet in that you sucked up through a liquorice straw
Lucky Numbers sweets
Gunmetal grey pointed toe stilleto shoes

mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 01-Oct-21 16:53:01

Loved sticking in the Green shield stamps when I came back from shopping with my mum.

I still use a fountain pen.

Witzend Fri 01-Oct-21 16:57:13

Lassie on TV
Rawhide! I was in love with Rowdy Yates at about 12, and only finally went right off Clint Eastwood decades later, when he was too chicken after some terrorist attack, to get on a plane and come to a premiere in London. Some tough guy - not!

dogsmother Fri 01-Oct-21 17:10:32

This has been so good to read through, just so lucky we survived it all ( she said tongue in cheek. )

Grandma70s Fri 01-Oct-21 17:28:04

I recognise almost everything mentioned.

Frost on the inside of the windows made beautiful patterns, like ferns.

How I longed for “School Friend”! My parents didn’t allow comics. Not sure if it was exactly a comic, but they thought so.

Witzend Fri 01-Oct-21 17:49:49

I was given a School Friend ‘Pets’ Annual for Christmas in 1957, and was delighted some years ago, to find an identical copy in a 2nd hand bookshop.
The only pets I had at the time were a couple of goldfish - Timmy the tortoise arrived a bit later - but I loved that book.

Nell8 Fri 01-Oct-21 18:00:54

Brooke Bond collecting cards that came in packets of tea. Wild animals were my favourites, but oh the disappointment when the latest packet contained a duplicate of one I already had. I seem to remember lots of great crested newts ...

mrsmopp Fri 01-Oct-21 18:09:10

Watching the Coronation with all our neighbors crammed into the living room. Only one family had a TV. - the screen was 12” square. Curtains closed all day.

mrsmopp Fri 01-Oct-21 18:12:56

Girls Crystal and School Friend girls comics. Loved them!

MamaCaz Fri 01-Oct-21 18:15:31

Leaning over my grandparents' wall, waving to the driver of the passing steam train (when I was under 5))
Watch with Mother
Janet and John books
Clackers
Diana and Sandie
Cat's cradle
Chinese skipping (I think that is what we called it - it involved elastic)
Hot pants and bell bottom trousers
Cassette players
Findus crispy pancakes
Angel delight , frozen to make a sort of ice cream in a certain long, hot summer

You can probably guess my age from these!

BBbevan Fri 01-Oct-21 18:32:23

Black kohl around the eyes
Black ski pants
Long sweaters
Jazz clubs and dancing
Folk clubs. Beery and Smokey
Fibbing to my Mum ?

mrsmopp Fri 01-Oct-21 18:36:10

Our heroes,
Desperate Dan, Korky the Kat. Dennis the the Menace.
Beryl the Peril. Lord Snooty and his chums.
Black Bob the sheepdog.

mrsmopp Fri 01-Oct-21 18:40:00

Did you get a pain in your side from overdoing the Hula Hoop? Oh I loved my hula hoop!!

Zoejory Fri 01-Oct-21 18:42:49

I stunned my grandchildren one Christmas . They'd got a hula hoop and I slipped it on and it all flooded back and I was 12 again smile

missingmarietta Fri 01-Oct-21 19:02:29

Brownie's Bob-a-Job weeks...knocking on the doors of complete strangers, offering to do a job and going in for an unknown period of time! Some jobs took 5-10 minutes, others took forever.

Bri-nylon sheets

Popeye on the tv

Buying Billy Bunter, Jennings and Darbishire, Bobby Brewster and the William books with pocket money or borrowing from the library

Skipping in the street...very few cars about

Davy Crocket hats

I loved 'the Laughing Policeman' and 'I'm a Pink toothbrush, you're a Blue toothbrush' when played on the radio

Sunday school

Piano's in lots of people's front rooms

Dogs put out and wandering the streets all day, going home at teatime

Zoejory Fri 01-Oct-21 19:11:55

I adored Kunzle Cakes, ixion!

I also miss the lovely chewable lids on toothpaste tubes. I could chew on this for hours.