Gransnet forums

Chat

Flashing lights to show speed trap.

(86 Posts)
millymouge Tue 09-Nov-21 15:50:24

I was driving home with DH and dogs from a lovely afternoon in the country park. The route takes me through several small, very pretty villages all with a 30 mile speed limit, and I started getting cars coming towards me flashing their lights, DH commented that there was obviously a speed camera up ahead. I am always very conscious of my speed so was within the limit, and sure enough there was a police car parked up just off the road with a camera. I personally would not warn anyone by flashing lights of a trap because, goody goody me, feels you should try to stay within the limits. Would you flash, do you flash, do you think it is wrong or just motorist friendly to warn other drivers (who should be sticking to the speed limit)?

Kim19 Thu 11-Nov-21 12:33:12

Many years ago we were invited to join a police group who were having a pre Christmas celebration in the same hotel as we were staying. Great fun. However, when I made some jocular\cheeky comment about police the response was a resounding 'oh, p!ease don't ever associate us with them. We're traffic.' Never forgotten that nor the unanimity with which it was said.

Gabrielle56 Thu 11-Nov-21 12:34:58

Out of interest, we have always had very high powered cars but managed to not have any accidents. If you want to to speed and think you'll be a good driver at high speed why not book a track day, in your own car and see how far you get? It's great fun- if you know what you're doing of course

Gabrielle56 Thu 11-Nov-21 12:36:20

True-traffic are not generally considered real police! That's why they're nicknamed 'plastics'!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 11-Nov-21 13:00:40

Does anyone remember the episode of Endeavour where Bright, having been moved to Traffic, was dealing with some corrupt CID men and said that their superintendent’s reach didn’t stretch to Traffic?

Magrithea Thu 18-Nov-21 17:30:05

It's an offence to warn another motorist of a speed trap - but they've got to catch you! I'm about to do an online speed awareness course after getting caught 5 mph over 30, right on the edge of the limit area, as I wasn't paying attention with a friend in the car!

Amberone Thu 18-Nov-21 17:51:15

I wish, wish, wish they would put speed cameras on the main road that runs through our village. It splits the village in half so there are constantly people crossing. It's been adopted as a race track from about 9 o'clock on - one of them actually roared up behind us one evening as we pulled out to overtake another car, then pulled into the inside lane to overtake us just as we were coming up to the car we were overtaking. I saw what was happening and had to shout at OH to brake and let him through. He missed both cars by inches and could have killed or injured all of us. Very scary. A number have been arrested but seem to be back on the road quite soon. During the day it is nose to tail for most of the day, thankfully, which keeps the speed down.

Shropshirelass Thu 18-Nov-21 17:58:08

It is illegal to flash in order to warn other motorists and if caught you can be fined. Speed limits are there for a reason but many just ignore it putting lives at risk. I don’t flash any more, if they are speeding then they pay the penalty. Yes, I have been caught, twice in over 50 years of driving! Only 2 or 3 mph over the limit. I set my cruise control. Speedometers in cars are set 2 mph below what they show anyway.

ElaineI Thu 18-Nov-21 18:11:41

In parts of Edinburgh and all towns in East Lothian the speed limit is 20mph. I'm quite happy with that but find it is easiest to drive at that speed in 3rd gear which is probably not good for the environment. Roads are busier in towns now and driving fast is unsafe for child and elderly pedestrians.

welbeck Thu 18-Nov-21 20:35:41

some of the attitudes on here remind me of when it was routine, thought ok to drink and drive.
sense of entitlement and stupidity; over-confidence in driving ability.
only through rigid enforcement has that attitude changed, and i think the same is needed for speeding/driving without due care and attention, eg chatting to friends, using phone etc.

Calistemon Thu 18-Nov-21 23:41:45

I set my cruise control
Ours doesn't work at 20 mph which is the speed limit in many villages around here, but not all, unfortunately.