Gransnet forums

Chat

We’re you ever head girl / boy at school?

(98 Posts)
Atqui Tue 23-Nov-21 20:17:16

Or is that too personal a question?

Calistemon Tue 23-Nov-21 22:42:00

It helped to have been naughty and subversive, though, because you know all the tricks!!

?

SpringyChicken Tue 23-Nov-21 22:43:57

I was deputy head girl, much to my surprise. The head girl thought she was Miss Wonderful, it went to her head.

nadateturbe Tue 23-Nov-21 23:04:37

dragonfly46

I was the only upper sixth member who was not made a prefect. My lovely head told me she was sorry but it was down to my previous behaviour (talking to boys over the ginnel wall in break time) among other things!

Same here Dragonfly. I was house captain the year before 6th form. Almost the whole house voted for me. ( I don't know why. None of them really knew me). But seven of us stayed for A levels and I was the only one not made a prefect. I couldn't cope with being ordered by prefects who were my 'friends' to go into the playground at lunch time with the younger ones and left after a few weeks. Still annoys me. Changed the course of my life. I think we should have been given a chance. Stupid headmistress!

nadateturbe Tue 23-Nov-21 23:11:28

What a kind school/staff to recognise my needs.

They were indeed Urmstongran

mamaa Tue 23-Nov-21 23:31:15

Yep and I distinctly remember cajoling ( rather than ordering) the ‘naughty’ girls to leave the loos where they’d been smoking as ‘it’d really help me if they did’ and it worked!

Hetty58 Tue 23-Nov-21 23:36:17

I was asked to be - but refused, somewhat horrified!

Calendargirl Wed 24-Nov-21 07:13:53

I left after O levels, so never got the chance as you had to be in the Upper V1. Not that I would have been chosen!

The girl in my year who eventually became Head Girl was a surprising choice, nothing the matter with her but not who I imagined they would have chosen.

Sadly she died a few years ago in her 50’s, suffering from a nasty form of cancer.

I often think of her, being HG and dying young.

nanna8 Wed 24-Nov-21 07:16:13

In primary school I was the head of the red team but in secondary I was only a vice prefect and librarian. I was quite shy at that age. I have been President of various organisations since, lost the shyness somewhere along the way.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Nov-21 07:20:14

I was a prefect and a library monitor ! but I can’t for the life of me remember who was head girl isn’t that strange

Aldom Wed 24-Nov-21 07:26:08

Thank you Urms. Hoping you are feeling better now. flowers

LadyGracie Wed 24-Nov-21 07:36:58

I was head prefect, I've still got the badge.

Lucca Wed 24-Nov-21 07:43:39

Definitely not. I changed schools after O levels anyway
I’d be interested to know how many people who were not star pupils ie always well behaved and studious, went on t become teachers ? I did, albeit not until I was 40.

Grandmabatty Wed 24-Nov-21 07:57:34

Lucca I was definitely not a star pupil not a prefect at secondary school, and yes, I did go on to be a teacher. There was very little that the ordinary rebellious teenager did that I hadn't already done! Poacher turned gamekeeper ?

Grandmabatty Wed 24-Nov-21 07:58:05

Should say nor a prefect. Proof reading fail.

kittylester Wed 24-Nov-21 08:04:19

I was given the huge responsibility of nipping out to see the time on the church clock if our class teacher forgot her watch.

Wouldn't be allowed now as I had to go out of the school gate and over the road for the best view.

I was also sent to the village shop to see whether they had Tarantella tinned tomatoes.

Marydoll Wed 24-Nov-21 08:11:10

Class captain and a prefect in sixth year. I don't think I was a very good prefect!

Grandma70s Wed 24-Nov-21 08:16:49

My sons went to a sensible school that didn’t have a head boy/girl or prefects. They aren’t necessary.

Josianne Wed 24-Nov-21 08:24:09

Grandma70s

My sons went to a sensible school that didn’t have a head boy/girl or prefects. They aren’t necessary.

I disagree, my school wouldn't have functioned without my trusty team of prefects. From emptying the classroom bins to taking the school dog for his walk, from stacking the chairs to taking prospective parents round the school, from tidying the library to policing the queues in the dining room, sorting out sports equipment, .... the list goes on. Great unpaid labour, all very efficient and absolutely necessary!!

Marydoll Wed 24-Nov-21 08:32:35

I have to agree with you Josianne. We had lots of duties and it gave us a sense of responsibility , especially as I was very shy and lacked confidence. You wouldn't know that now! wink

TerriBull Wed 24-Nov-21 08:33:40

I was one of several playground monitors in top juniors, now year 6. We were tasked with overseeing the infants, picking them up and dusting them down if they fell over. If they cut themselves we delivered them to the lady who was the school caretaker and she cleaned and dressed any wounds. Just generally making sure the babies were okay, wiping tears away and if they were on their own sometimes we walked round the playground holding their hands or getting them to join in a game. I quite enjoyed all of that it made me feel very responsible.

At senior school I never aspired to the heady heights of being a prefect, too busy breaking the rules shock

MerylStreep Wed 24-Nov-21 08:34:45

Kitty gets the prize for the best answer ?

Sar53 Wed 24-Nov-21 09:34:45

As I was very good at reading I was one of those chosen to help the not so good when I was in top juniors, now Year 6.
At my very posh, all girls grammar I was made a prefect in the Lower VI and vice captain of the school Hockey Team, I was very sporty but not very academic.
It all sounds a bit Malory Towers now !!!!

Calistemon Wed 24-Nov-21 09:42:30

kittlester ?

I was bell monitor in top juniors which meant I was excused the last few minutes of lessons before morning, lunch and afternoon breaks. I had to go and fetch a very large, heavy hand bell, thn go round the big hall ringing the bell so that everyone knew it was break time.

Grandma70s Wed 24-Nov-21 09:48:55

Josianne

Grandma70s

I disagree, my school wouldn't have functioned without my trusty team of prefects. From emptying the classroom bins to taking the school dog for his walk, from stacking the chairs to taking prospective parents round the school, from tidying the library to policing the queues in the dining room, sorting out sports equipment, .... the list goes on. Great unpaid labour, all very efficient and absolutely necessary!!

Well, I don’t know how it worked at my sons’ school, but work it did. I suppose they took responsibility for themselves. At least there were no opportunities for the self important and bossy.

At my brother’s minor public school in the 1940s and 1950s, on the other hand, prefects had a free hand. They were allowed to beat the younger boys - and they did. Sadism was accepted. Just appalling.

LindaPat Wed 24-Nov-21 10:50:19

I was a prefect at Junior School, and again at High School, ( for girls ). One of my friends was Head Girl, another was Games Captain ( slightly more prestigious! ).
I was one of 8 girls in the Upper 6th taking Music, and this was the big thing in our school. No Music Captain though, I would have loved that!
So as part of group of 8, we practically had free rein in the school. We were granted certain priviliges , and took our responsibilities very seriously. My friend the Games Captain was also the most beautiful soprano, and we were allowed to practice in the main hall, with the Grand piano ( I was her rehearsal accompanist ).
Wonderful years!
Take care x