Gransnet forums

Chat

What qualities do you most admire in your friends

(108 Posts)
LauraNorderr Fri 26-Nov-21 12:22:50

Like most I have a large circle of friends and an inner circle of closer friends.
We would often lunch together, have fun, support each other and put the world to rights.
Since covid our communication has been mainly by phone so much more one to one. This has made me appreciate their individual qualities more and got me thinking about the things I love most about each one.
Some listen to detail and show great care, some have a great sense of humour and lift my spirits, some are brutally honest but in a good way. I hope I give some of these things to my friends.
What do you admire most in a friend?

Namsnanny Fri 26-Nov-21 13:47:25

AGAA4?

Jaxjacky Fri 26-Nov-21 14:18:04

Loyalty and trust. Those who are with you and for you throughout your ups and downs, especially the downs

Josianne Fri 26-Nov-21 14:28:55

The abitlty to listen, and to pick up from where we left off.

sodapop Fri 26-Nov-21 14:29:03

Good to see you back LauraNorder you are right GN is addictive even when it's not working properly

Josianne Fri 26-Nov-21 14:29:12

ability

JessK Fri 26-Nov-21 15:29:20

Discretion and empathy. A friend you can off load to and know it will go no further.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 26-Nov-21 15:42:06

A willingness to communicate and a generous nature - the latter isn't meant in a monetary sense but in being open-minded and kind. If there's a difference of opinion it can be expressed with tolerance and an understanding that we're not all the same.

I hate mean-spiritedness - if someone has a stroke of luck it's not hard to say, "Well done" or "Lucky you" whether it's a lotto win or an accomplishment of some other sort.

LauraNorderr Fri 26-Nov-21 15:52:14

Yes definitely generosity of spirit especially when it’s gin

LauraNorderr Fri 26-Nov-21 15:54:50

But seriously generosity of spirit is so important. Sharing the joy in each others accomplishments and enjoying each others happiness.

lemongrove Fri 26-Nov-21 16:07:29

Josianne

The abitlty to listen, and to pick up from where we left off.

Good qualities in anyone, I agree.
Not being a bore comes next.

lemongrove Fri 26-Nov-21 16:08:46

LauraNorderr

Yes definitely generosity of spirit especially when it’s gin

?
Welcome back Laura and hope that Orlin is well.?

LauraNorderr Fri 26-Nov-21 16:57:15

Thanks Lemon I see I’m just in time for the annual Christmas ball at Lemongrove Hall. I’ll be along at P just to make sure there’s prosecco.

LauraNorderr Fri 26-Nov-21 16:58:14

Orlin very well thanks, now that’s a friend I couldn’t be without.

Lucca Fri 26-Nov-21 17:17:31

Kindness sense of humour empathy.

foxie48 Fri 26-Nov-21 19:25:15

I'm obviously very shallow as I have "friends" for different purposes and I think I serve different purposes for them too. I've friends who share my passions and are happy to spend a whole evening talking and sharing experiences, I've got friends who just make me laugh a lot and who are great fun to be with and I've got friends who are just thoroughly nice, kind people. However, if I had to choose one thing it's knowing they want the best for me (whatever that is!).

Curlywhirly Sat 27-Nov-21 08:51:56

I am blessed to have some really lovely friends.. Work colleagues that I've known for 30 years, 3 in particular that are like sisters to me, so supportive. Other friends have a brilliant sense of humour and there's never a dull moment when we go out; some are very level-headed (unlike me, I follow my heart and not my head) and give good advice. My best friend I have known since I was 11 and I love that we have shared all those teenage experiences and know absolutely everything about each other. In conclusion, I think that different friends bring different things to the table, but all share the qualities of being trustworthy and loyal - I wouldn't be without them.

honeyrose Sat 27-Nov-21 09:08:45

I do think that different friends offer different qualities, bug most of my friends and good listeners (sknethjng which I - very modestly! - am too). I do love a good sense of humour though - st the right time and in the right place of course.

Beswitched Sat 27-Nov-21 09:10:27

Being there for you at a bad time.

Listening to you, not constantly interrupting to tell you their own experience of something similar.

honeyrose Sat 27-Nov-21 09:13:11

Oh no - fat finger syndrome!! I sent that before I’d checked it! You’ll no doubt be able to make some sense if it though! That strange Scandinavian looking word in the middle should be “something”. Other errors too - aggggh! ? welcome back LauraNorderr.

Forsythia Sat 27-Nov-21 09:18:04

Kindness and things in common matter to me.

Katie59 Sat 27-Nov-21 09:19:44

Loyalty and laughter of which I am blessed, life is good.

Juliet27 Sat 27-Nov-21 09:24:35

Beswitched

Being there for you at a bad time.

Listening to you, not constantly interrupting to tell you their own experience of something similar.

Honesty…and being honest with yourself too! I think I’m guilty of interrupting with my own experiences ?

LauraNorderr Sat 27-Nov-21 10:41:19

When we lived in France I got to know an English woman who lived nearby.
One of the first things she told me was that she’d ‘culled’ some of her friends because she had far too many.
I soon realised that although I got to know everything about her, she knew nothing about me because she didn’t pause to find out.
I suspect the ‘culling’ was probably the other way around. What a horrible thing to do or even to say.

LauraNorderr Sat 27-Nov-21 10:48:57

We all seem to agree on loyalty, honesty, humour and being there for each other through good times and bad.
I think being a good listener is important, but also being prepared to give something of yourself.
I like to think I’m a good listener but don’t often share my own problems so that on the odd occasion I do, people are taken by surprise. I’m working on it.

Juicylucy Sun 28-Nov-21 10:52:50

Loyalty, being consistent in there communication. Not being late. Being supportive.