Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Carols - Favourites

(90 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 07-Dec-21 08:26:54

It's probably been done before, but it's that time of year again, so.............your favourite carols please.

My absolute number 1 is In the Bleak Mid Winter, I love it.

Followed by Away in a Manger, preferably sung by 4 and 5 year olds, always brings a tear to the eye and evokes feelings of nostalgia

Silent Night - simply very beautiful

Over to you

nanaK54 Tue 07-Dec-21 13:38:25

I like all carols, but especially love 'It was on a Starry Night' sung by children

Bellasnana Tue 07-Dec-21 13:47:13

youtu.be/7AmWu2zLzrU

maryrose54 Tue 07-Dec-21 15:13:47

Once in Royal David's City because I remember singing the first verse solo as a child in our small village church choir.

allule Tue 07-Dec-21 15:28:49

“Three kings from Persian lands”…is my favourite too, but for some reason….”in the bleak midwinter” sticks in my head the whole year, and I find myself humming it in the heat of Summer

Calendargirl Tue 07-Dec-21 15:35:13

O Holy Night.

It Came Upon A Midnight Clear.

The Holly And The Ivy.

Greyduster Tue 07-Dec-21 16:23:05

One of the gentlest and loveliest, I think - “Quem Pastores Laudavere”.

Yammy Tue 07-Dec-21 16:34:06

As an infant teacher many years ago we really had to practise "Little Donkey", it sounded like a durged and one little voice piped up if we sing this one more time Mrs... that donkey will be knackered.So we sent it to the stable for a rest.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 07-Dec-21 16:36:59

???

BlueSapphire Tue 07-Dec-21 16:37:18

The Harold Darke version of 'In the Bleak Midwinter'. And John Rutter's Candlelight Carol.

Mollygo Tue 07-Dec-21 16:40:28

joannapiano

The Shepherd’s Pipe Carol by John Rutter.. Anything by him. We love singing his work in our choir. Lovely melodious tunes.

Love the Shepherd’s Pipe carol too. Also I like Like a Candle Flame by Graham Kendrick and Lullay Allelluia by Skip Ewing.
Away in a manger, sung by children, always makes me cry.

Edge26 Tue 07-Dec-21 16:55:38

O come, o come Emmanuel by the choir Libera

Luckygirl3 Tue 07-Dec-21 17:05:09

It came upon the midnight clear.......

"And man at war with man hears not the love song that they bring; so hush the noise ye men of strife and hear the angels sing,"

Exactly - makes me well up every time I sing it. I hold out no hope of this being achieved.

lemongrove Tue 07-Dec-21 17:19:33

Ding Dong merrily on hightchgrin

lemongrove Tue 07-Dec-21 17:22:16

Oh, I can have more than one....
Hmmm,
The Holly And The Ivy
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
O Little Town Of Bethlehem

Calendargirl Tue 07-Dec-21 18:05:54

joannapiano

The Shepherd’s Pipe Carol by John Rutter.. Anything by him. We love singing his work in our choir. Lovely melodious tunes.

I mis-read this as ‘The Shepherd’s PIE Carol’!

confused

Witzend Tue 07-Dec-21 18:09:43

Greyduster

One of the gentlest and loveliest, I think - “Quem Pastores Laudavere”.

‘Quibus angeli dixere….’
We used to sing that at school!
A lovely one, but you hardly ever hear it.

Gin Tue 07-Dec-21 18:27:13

I love all carols but a new one for our choir this year is ‘Mary Did You Know?’ It is beautiful. There is a version on the internet but it does not to me sound so good with American accents, I prefer our choir version!

Luckygirl3 Tue 07-Dec-21 19:20:15

We have been singing The Bee Carol, which was the winner of the 2018 Radio 3 carol composition competition. It is based on a poem by Carol Ann Duffy. It is much more difficult than it sounds, s the 2 last verses have some challenging, but beautiful, harmonies.

www.facebook.com/watch/?v=904585719930814

BlueSky Tue 07-Dec-21 19:25:13

Thanks Lexisgranny! I too can imagine your great grandfather singing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. How beautiful! ?

GrannyLaine Tue 07-Dec-21 19:34:24

BlueSapphire

The Harold Darke version of 'In the Bleak Midwinter'. And John Rutter's Candlelight Carol.

I also love The Candlelight Carol Blue Sapphire I had it played as a request on Classic FM for my oldest DD the day after she gave birth to her baby girl, close to Christmas.

Same DD married a few days before Christmas and walked down the aisle to "O Holy Night" It still moves me to tears.

Grandma70s Tue 07-Dec-21 19:42:16

Bethlehem Down is beautiful.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Tue 07-Dec-21 19:47:28

Oh Holy Night, from Carols from Kings - beautiful.

Lauren59 Wed 08-Dec-21 05:19:07

Germanshepherdsmum

*Lauren*, I wish you hadn’t said that. An animal in desperate need of help spoiling your enjoyment of a Christmas carol? Where’s your humanity? Sorry to derail and bring a sour note to the thread but as an animal lover I couldn’t ignore it.

I really don’t see how anyone could misunderstand my post!

My point was that the carol is now associated in my mind with the image of the dog, which is distressing. I wasn’t complaining about it.

I am an animal lover myself and volunteer for groups that feed stray cats and foster homeless dogs. I certainly didn’t mean to offend anyone! shock

Nannytopsy Wed 08-Dec-21 05:23:34

Three Kings from Persian Lands Afar and Oh come oh come Emmanuel. We sang the latter on Sunday!

Witzend Wed 08-Dec-21 09:13:56

I always loved O Come O Come Emmanuel, since it was the first we always sang in school assembly after the beginning of Advent. It meant Christmas was coming!