Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Carols - Favourites

(90 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 07-Dec-21 08:26:54

It's probably been done before, but it's that time of year again, so.............your favourite carols please.

My absolute number 1 is In the Bleak Mid Winter, I love it.

Followed by Away in a Manger, preferably sung by 4 and 5 year olds, always brings a tear to the eye and evokes feelings of nostalgia

Silent Night - simply very beautiful

Over to you

gran5up Wed 08-Dec-21 17:08:36

1) "It came upon the midnight clear","See amid the winter snow"-probably because they are not heard so often and have a thought-provoking message.

2) Any of the wonderful Sheffield carols, now sung in the pubs as the Victorian clergy barred them from church as too rousing!

3) A German carol with the refrain (in English!) "Up,up,up"

4) Lastly my all time favourite, I recorded this from Capital radio in the 80s, London kids singing about Mayree and her baybee, the journey made er weereey. Aww, lovely!

Bluecat Wed 08-Dec-21 18:15:58

I love carols. In The Bleak Midwinter, The Cherry Tree Carol, Silent Night, The Coventry Carol, O Come O Come Emmanuel... Impossible to pick a favourite. I have been Pagan for more than 30 years but carols still go straight to my heart.

I can't hear children singing carols without feeling the tears start. My 9 year old granddaughter was recently singing one she was learning at school, It Was On A Starry Night, and I immediately had a lump in my throat.

I

nadateturbe Wed 08-Dec-21 18:31:50

youtu.be/ilO75EUExTU

I listen to this many nights before going to sleep.
It's beautiful.

nadateturbe Wed 08-Dec-21 18:34:14

Should add it's Andrea Bocelli
Cantique de Noel/O Holy Night
a totally different version sung in French

EEJit Wed 08-Dec-21 21:13:01

Has to be Silent Night, both the English and German versions.

Greyduster Wed 08-Dec-21 21:28:13

Bob Chilcott’s “The Shepherd’s Carol”. Sublime.

lemongrove Wed 08-Dec-21 21:35:52

Adeste Fidelis .....sung with gusto! Even if not much musicality.

SachaMac Wed 08-Dec-21 23:14:15

Once in Royal David’s City for me too, then Ding Dong Merrily on High and The Holly Bears a Berry. There’s so many lovely carols, hard to choose.

Deedaa Wed 08-Dec-21 23:32:57

I've loved It Came Upon The Midnight Clear ever since I was at school. Other favourites are Oh Holy Night, The Coventry Carol and Veni Veni Emmanuel (Preferably sung by Friar Alessandro)

Witzend Thu 09-Dec-21 08:44:17

It’s not a carol as such, but one line of ‘Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas’ strikes me as somewhat tearily poignant now that we older generation are all getting on a bit, and a BiL has cancer:
‘Through the years we all will be together, if the fates allow…’.

I never knew the words until our group piano teacher gave us a lovely version to play a few years ago - it’s a favourite now.

Us oldies mostly will all be together tomorrow night. ??? Only one missing will be DSis in the US.

LtEve Thu 09-Dec-21 09:10:35

I love ‘It came upon a midnight clear’ and ‘Three kings from Persian lands afar’. We sang that in our school choir and it sounded magical. We were lucky enough to have a choirboy of the year contestant in our choir and he sang the opening lines. Even as a 14 year old it sent shivers down my spine, absolutely beautiful.

Justanotherwannabe Thu 09-Dec-21 12:23:51

At school we used to sing "It was the winter wild, When the heav'n born child..." I love it, but have never herd that version anywhere else.

Mamma66 Thu 09-Dec-21 14:57:06

I love them all. My favourite would have to be The Coventry Carol, followed by In the Bleak Midwinter and O Come, O Come Emmanuel. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen takes me back to my childhood

Lincslass Thu 09-Dec-21 16:44:41

Singing in our Hospital Choir, the annual service in York Minster, the opening Once in Royal David’s city, sung by a young soprano up in the rafters was the most beautiful sound. Still gives me tingles when I hear that Carol today.