Gransnet forums

Chat

My favourite shops are charity shops, which shops are your favourite ?

(131 Posts)
Serendipity22 Thu 13-Jan-22 15:26:03

Today i decided to go to a quaint market town near me. I love the ambiance of this market town, the people are so friendly, love it.

I trail from charity shop to charity shop then open the door to a welcoming, warm cafe, sit near window so can people watch while a contented, happy feeling sits within me that i have bargains in my bags that sit at my feet.

Then after sipping my coffee, i scoop up my bargains and head away from the welcoming cafe, to MORE charity shops.
gringringrin

Serendipity22 Thu 13-Jan-22 16:47:31

You're on Bluebelle

I too MUCH rather shop alone, i can go at MY pace, stop when i choose blah blah.

But yeah great stuff, meet you in the cafe then saunter on alone to purchase our bargains to add to the many other bargains. Haaaaa.

VioletSky Thu 13-Jan-22 16:51:37

I have a fusl nightmares where I have a pocket full of cash I am only allowed to spend on myself and I am in my favourite shop only it is 10 times the size... And I find nothing I like.

I like a bargain and often look around charity shops or wait until the sales.

TerriBull Thu 13-Jan-22 16:54:47

I once loved trawling shops, not so much these days. I like John Lewis, smaller outfits such as The White Company, Jo Malone, Space NK and chichi little independents along similar lines. Anywhere that looks inviting selling stylish bits and pieces and lovely fragrances also kitchen shops. When I've had enough of those I like to dive into Waterstones and spend copious amounts of time in there rather than go off looking for clothes.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Jan-22 16:56:02

Love it serendippity I don’t necessarily like the same as others and I don’t want to feel rushed while the other person is tapping their feet in boredom, and then the same other way round, but a coffee and cake and chat will do me fine
See you there ?

3dognight Thu 13-Jan-22 17:02:32

My favourite charity shops for the last few years have been Barnardos for clothes and the big Heart Foundation for furniture and kitchen stuff.

There is in our old Art Deco library a charity shop staffed by well off ladies from a town that’s nearby which thinks itself far superior to our ‘mining town’.
There’s many a nice item of clothing I’ve bought from there.

I like my local Mole Valley Farmers store. Full of dog, horse essentials, and a huge selection of wellies (!) which I love.

LauraNorderr Thu 13-Jan-22 17:11:20

Pre covid my favourite shops would be bookshops, homewares, secondhand furniture, art and craft suppliers.
Loath shopping for food and/or clothes.

LauraNorderr Thu 13-Jan-22 17:12:53

Oh yes and charity shops for costume jewellery to make spiders with beads.
Also would love to join you for coffee and cake in between.

Kali2 Thu 13-Jan-22 17:13:34

Independent stors- different, quirky. Be they kitchen shops, art and crafts, cafés - local goods, home-make stuff. In our small market town, we have several independent cafés- never go to Costas or Starbucks. And I love a proper hardware store- and we have a wonderful one.

MerylStreep Thu 13-Jan-22 17:17:30

My favourite secondhand shop is one that sells clothes on behalf of people who want some money back for good quality clothes, shoes, bags.
I’ve bought a lot from the one near me. My best buy was a kashmir blazer over 20 yrs ago, still looks like new.

Just in case there’s someone here in the Southend area who doesn’t know about it, it’s The Magic Wardrobe Leigh Road, Leigh On Sea.

janeainsworth Thu 13-Jan-22 17:17:38

I much prefer to shop online, more relaxing than traipsing round the shops.
Favourite sites are Sous Chef, Other Stories, Jigsaw, Arket, Uniqlo and surprisingly M&S who seem to have upped their game over the last couple of years.

Oldbat1 Thu 13-Jan-22 17:18:02

I live in a small market town. We have 6 charity shops and I love a good rummage. Winter is definitely the best time before the tourists descend. I’ve had some excellent bargains over the years. Brand new hotter shoes, walking boots, Lego sets, 5 Le creuset saucepans in excellent condition for £25.

janeainsworth Thu 13-Jan-22 17:18:14

Oh and how could I forget Toast.

ayse Thu 13-Jan-22 17:40:56

Charity shops come to the fore when I visit my daughter in Bristol and Cats Protection League is my favourite. I bought a pure wool coat in good condition for £13. I’ve also bought a grey sheepskin jacket hardly worn for £30. Apart from that I really don’t enjoy shopping although vintage and antique shops are becoming a favourite. Our local fabric shop is good for a browse. Other stuff I buy online instead of searching the shops.

I still prefer doing food shopping in person and making my own choices.

Serendipity22 Thu 13-Jan-22 17:58:59

Love reading these replies, ooooooo its just great. Yes there are charity shops and there are ☆☆ CHARITY SHOPS ☆☆. I know which ones to 'hit' and which to avoid, hahahaha, BUT saying that ( the ones to avoid) there are bargains lurking amongst the rubbish, or things that i class as rubbish, each to their own.

Yes BlueBelle i know the feeling of the toe tapping and i know the feeling of eyes glaring in back of my head, grrrrr, which resulted in my fabulous, stress-free solo chazz shopping.

Yep, see you there... yipeeee. We can compare our bargains....

grin

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 13-Jan-22 18:31:24

Ooh, yes The White Company- I love the ambience, the smell, the clothes...and I imagine myself leading the kind of life where white cashmere clothes would be my everyday dressing..

MayBee70 Thu 13-Jan-22 18:33:00

Urmstongran

I’m not really a shopper. I walk to the Trafford Centre with a small list. Make my purchases and leave. I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than mooch about. Unless of course something just catches my eye as I’m passing ...
I’m an impulse buyer when (very occasionally) something just jumps out at me.

I love that pink!

valdali Thu 13-Jan-22 18:51:36

I too love charity shops, I love a mooch. Hardly ever do go out & shop these days (still working & would have to borrow time from something else). I think it must be the farming background at last coming out in me, I don't really enjoy coffee shops & restaurants unless to meet people I havent seen for a while. Keep thinking "I could've done the same as this for a third of the price" & "don't these people have something better to do with their time". Unattractive thoughts even to me, but I still have them!

Millie22 Thu 13-Jan-22 18:52:21

Urms
I love your coat too. I've just ordered a navy blue one similar to yours but slightly shorter.

Lucca Thu 13-Jan-22 18:54:58

janeainsworth

Oh and how could I forget Toast.

How could I afford Toast ??! It’s lovely though

grannyrebel7 Thu 13-Jan-22 18:59:32

I like charity shops, but only for books and knicknacks. I'm always looking for that rare antique I can take to the Antiques Road Show! Alas, I haven't found one yet! I don't buy the clothes as I prefer new ones.

lemsip Thu 13-Jan-22 19:13:59

Serendipity22

Ohhhh heck, a lot of loath shopping Grans.... this is not a nice thread ive started !! Hahahaha SORRY...

don't apologise, ...... your title thread states

....My favourite shops are charity shops, which shops are your favourite .
not your fault it is being totaally ignoed and turned into a 'Do you like shopping' thread..........

well I like charity shops! I hve to pop in and see if my little gem is there or not otherwise how will I know!

Patsy70 Thu 13-Jan-22 19:18:57

I really dislike shopping. But, I do volunteer in a Barnardo’s charity shop, and we have regular donations of high quality goods in our little shop in Kent. This is my shop of choice, once it’s been out for 48 hours! ?

Serendipity22 Thu 13-Jan-22 19:48:24

Another plus point on charity shops ( besides the bargains) is that they are soooo friendly, a huge plus point on the high street shops. I havent been in 1 where conversation has been struck up, be it a few words or more. That is something i love more than getting a bargain....

So my perfect shopping day would consist of a good old natter, a laugh ( ABSOLUTELY love having a laugh with folk ) a bargain and a sit down with coffee, ohhhhh and people watching ☆☆☆☆☆

grinbrew

Serendipity22 Thu 13-Jan-22 19:50:10

Sorry meant to say I haven't been in 1 where conversation hasn't struck up.

Patsy70 Thu 13-Jan-22 19:57:39

Always have a good old natter with colleagues and customers during my volunteering days at the shop. So very rewarding in all ways. ?