Gransnet forums

Chat

Prince Harry.....latest

(387 Posts)
lemsip Sat 15-Jan-22 23:22:24

Give me back my bodyguards: Prince Harry threatens legal action against the government and demands return of police protection because 'it is not safe for the Sussexes to return to UK for visits'

Josieann Sun 16-Jan-22 08:10:06

Harry definitely won't want to use private bodyguards because the ones employed by Fayed were pretty much responsible for the death of his mother on that fateful night in Paris.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jan-22 08:18:28

The bodyguards were not responsible, they advised Diana and
Dodi not to leave the hotel.

Josieann Sun 16-Jan-22 08:22:24

Anniebach

They were inexperienced though Annie and made bad decisions.

lemsip Sun 16-Jan-22 08:23:07

he has knocked boris off headlines for a while so he'll be breathing a sigh of relief

lemsip Sun 16-Jan-22 08:27:54

BlueBalou

I did wonder at his motive for wanting to visit, cynical me! Maybe with the focus on Andrew Harry thinks he can swoop in like a saviour and return to the fold? More realistically I guess he wants to see his grandmother before it’s too late? And to participate in the Jubilee celebrations.
Personally I wish he’d just shut up....?

couldn't put it better myself

Socksandsocks01 Sun 16-Jan-22 08:34:11

Maybe they have been asked to come over here so they can take on some royal duties as well as be included for the platinum jubilee celebrations . He knows his wife is hated here. Perhaps they are more aware of threats than us. They had death threats. The Queen also had someone recently with a weapon in the grounds. I think what happened to Diana would have been avoided if she had had her HRH title and therefore police security. I think it should be provided free to them.

merlotgran Sun 16-Jan-22 08:43:56

You reap what you sow, Harry.

Lucca Sun 16-Jan-22 08:48:21

Josieann

Anniebach

They were inexperienced though Annie and made bad decisions.

Please let’s not imply blame to Diana for her death.

ayse Sun 16-Jan-22 08:48:30

Perhaps he’s considering coming back part time to take on Andrew’s now empty roles? ?

I believe they have enough finances to fly privately and could land at a private facility and be transferred onwards via helicopter. They do not need to be seen in public at all. After all, a private visit should be just that. Private!

I was under the impression, maybe wrongly that the USA is a far more dangerous place than the UK? I’m not persuaded that public security forces should be hired out to to a private citizen. We’ve enough privatisation via the backdoor going on already.

ayse Sun 16-Jan-22 08:52:18

Socksandsocks01

Maybe they have been asked to come over here so they can take on some royal duties as well as be included for the platinum jubilee celebrations . He knows his wife is hated here. Perhaps they are more aware of threats than us. They had death threats. The Queen also had someone recently with a weapon in the grounds. I think what happened to Diana would have been avoided if she had had her HRH title and therefore police security. I think it should be provided free to them.

Well, if he is performing public duties then public security should be provided for those occasions.

lemsip Sun 16-Jan-22 08:57:06

Oh dear hope this isn't going to turn into Diana's death debate again.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jan-22 08:58:49

He can’t perform public duties and live in America, he is soo
into saving the planet

Iam64 Sun 16-Jan-22 08:59:48

The couple pay for their security in the USA. I always thought it mean spirited and foolish to remove his security. He’s a real target for terrorists, he’s the brother of our future king, son of the king in waiting, he served in Afghanistan and supports our veterans.
His mother died in an accident that probably wouldn’t have happened if her protection hadn’t been removed.

nanna8 Sun 16-Jan-22 09:03:33

He should get the Americans on to it seeing as he lives there and prefers it. If he thinks it is too dangerous he should stop at home.

GagaJo Sun 16-Jan-22 09:05:56

He wants armed protection. It is only legal here for the police to provide it. He will pay for it himself.

I don't see the issue. Let him have the protection and pay for it himself.

Josieann Sun 16-Jan-22 09:10:02

lemsip

Oh dear hope this isn't going to turn into Diana's death debate again.

Personally I couldn't give a monkeys about the details of Diana's death now. I can't gave been around on GN for a debate on her death? The point is that Harry always relates everything back to how his mother was treated. He uses it as leverage for some reason, maybe to gain sympathy? Enough said.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jan-22 09:11:03

Fergie didn’t get security when they divorced, Beatrice and
Eugenie had it removed,

Harry chose to leave the U.K. to protect his family even though they had security, now he wants the security he thought wasn’t
capable of protecting them.

Sparklefizz Sun 16-Jan-22 09:18:04

When I read it, my first thought was that he was finding an excuse NOT to come to the UK during the Queen's platinum celebrations. "It's all your fault I can't bring my children over" blah blah blah.

Grannynannywanny Sun 16-Jan-22 09:18:11

I’m wondering if it was Andrew or Boris that made a call to California. “Harry please help, say or do anything, no matter how silly, to divert the attention away from me!

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 16-Jan-22 09:20:57

I’m not sure that can be done Gaga. It would amount to a private citizen hiring the police and would set a precedent.
If they want to make a private visit to allow the Queen to meet the children that could be done without publicity. If they want to come here to join in the Platinum Jubilee celebrations I wouldn’t be surprised to hear booing which would be very upsetting for the Queen. I can’t imagine them being allowed to undertake any official duties to help out after Andrew’s departure even if they wanted to - I thought the reason they flounced off was that they didn’t want to be part of the RF and be subjected to publicity (haha)?

eazybee Sun 16-Jan-22 09:25:41

What an unpleasant man, to make this announcement at just this time,although I doubt if he has had the wit to think it out for himself. His choice to leave his family and his country,

It would do him good to face the dangers encountered by those attempting to go about their daily business in, say, Croydon.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jan-22 09:26:30

British police are not for hire.

Riverwalk Sun 16-Jan-22 09:30:51

If a forthcoming trip is Royal Family related e.g. Jubilee celebrations it would be easier for the Met to provide security for them - it would compromise the security of an event if they had to coordinate with a private team for Harry.

If the trip is private then he can pay for private security, just as a lot of high-profile people do. There are many firms that provide ex-Met and forces to high profile rich families of oligarchs, celebrities, business people, etc.

The Met shouldn't be for hire, because that's what it would be, even for a prince.

eazybee Sun 16-Jan-22 09:32:10

There is no need for police protection.
He/they would fly into Heathrow in a private jet, straight to Windsor probably by helicopter, afternoon tea with the Queen and any other members of the family who could be press-ganged into meeting them, then back home again.
Nobody else would want to see them.

Grammaretto Sun 16-Jan-22 09:34:24

And there's me thinking Harry and Meghan had gone to live in the States never to return! How foolish of me. I easily forget that these entitled people truly believe themselves to be adored and protected forever however rude they are.
You can't live in two countries at once or perhaps you can?