Gransnet forums

Chat

I really want what Meghan has! -A frivolous thread.

(94 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sun 23-Jan-22 14:57:09

No, not Harry but the handbag!
She has it over her shoulder in a photo in the Times today. Just my sort of bag. It’s made by a Scottish firm. Great. Supporting the U.K. is what I want to do.
I went on the website and discovered it was quite pricey , over £400, I didn’t think it would be cheap but wondered if I could ask for it for my birthday.
No I can’t have it it’s made in Spain!
DH breathes a sigh of relief.
How much have you ever spent on a handbag?

TerriBull Sun 23-Jan-22 16:23:03

I do like a nice bag and the one Meghan has in that picture is lovely.

I did have a real handbag thing a few years ago culminating in my most expensive buy, a Mulberry, then I worked out it was all about the wanting, when I actually got the coveted item somehow it lost it's appeal it was just the desire! I also realised I got sick of switching bags. At the moment, my winter bag is an across the body brown leather Radley, almost like a small satchel affair. Occasionally I change that, not often, to a Navy blue Longchamps bag similar to the one Sago has displayed above. My going out in the evening bag is black and quilted with a chain shoulder strap, bought ages ago from Russell and Bromley a fairly good copy of the classic Chanel that all the rich and famous have, but at a fraction of the price. I did turn up at an evening do a few years ago and a daughter of a friend who was there with her parents had the real thing........ooh it was lovely and have to say better than mine, but then it would be at the price!

My expensive handbag buying days are over though, because imo the ones I have already haven't dated, I don't need anymore and they take up room!

Grammaretto Sun 23-Jan-22 16:25:40

My one came from fatface, made in Italy? I have had to clue it together - so less than brilliant.
I may treat myself to a new backpack next.

Grammaretto Sun 23-Jan-22 16:27:24

clue it?

nadateturbe Sun 23-Jan-22 16:30:36

I think £60 would be my limit although I could afford more. TK Maxx for me. I have quite a few bags but I rarely use most of them. Won't be buying any more. Its just consumerism.

Blossoming Sun 23-Jan-22 16:36:45

My favourite is a pinkish purplish cross body bag bought from a tiny pop up shop in Rome years ago. It was very cheap and still looks good. I can’t carry a handbag and find small cross body bags great for carrying the essentials.

Nightsky2 Sun 23-Jan-22 16:41:12

Giddygranny

Well today was the day I actually became a Granny at last, my daughter baby was IVF, so very precious. And she ended up having to have an emergency c section but all is well. So looking forward to being more active on Gransnet

Congratulations Giddygranny. Glad it all went well for your DD??

Aveline Sun 23-Jan-22 16:55:31

I don't understand the desireability of 'designer' handbags. I just don't get why one leather or fabric bag is so much more expensive than any other leather or fabric bag. It's not like they're diamonds or gold!

MayBeMaw Sun 23-Jan-22 17:04:48

Sago

I love Tustings bags, all UK made!
Here’s a link

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi1u8Klm8j1AhUVEcAKHRcFBz8QFnoECAcQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tusting.co.uk%2F&usg=AOvVaw1-qrQvecC4KhmWtph0b09l

I have two of their bags, I had mine monogrammed with my initials, they are timeless bags and worth every penny.

I also have a Liberty bag, not sure where it’s made….it’s beautiful though.

Tustings are two villages away from me and a few years ago donated a mint green suede and brown leather handbag to a village hall raffle. I won it!
Actually it’s going on EBay soon as I have never used it !

GrannyGravy13 Sun 23-Jan-22 17:05:00

Aveline

I don't understand the desireability of 'designer' handbags. I just don't get why one leather or fabric bag is so much more expensive than any other leather or fabric bag. It's not like they're diamonds or gold!

If you have a desirable designer bag complete with dust bag, box and receipt and in excellent condition it will increase in value.

Some designers have long waiting lists, years for some bags. They double/triple their value overnight.

Blossoming Sun 23-Jan-22 17:06:21

Congratulations GiddyGranny, you must feel so relieved that all is now well smile

Mattsmum2 Sun 23-Jan-22 17:16:07

I’ve had a few Ridley bags in my time. One bought for work was I think about £150. I have a Michael Kors one I use now which holds everything including my laptop. It was a gift from my mum with a purse to match. I will buy designer brands but generally wait until the sales.

Mattsmum2 Sun 23-Jan-22 17:16:44

Mattsmum2

I’ve had a few Ridley bags in my time. One bought for work was I think about £150. I have a Michael Kors one I use now which holds everything including my laptop. It was a gift from my mum with a purse to match. I will buy designer brands but generally wait until the sales.

Radley I meant to say!

PamelaJ1 Sun 23-Jan-22 17:17:56

Sorry, been busy

Josieann Sun 23-Jan-22 17:29:36

Although I like nice bags I made the decision about 15 years ago to spend on pairs of designer glasses instead. I figured that more people would look at what I was wearing on my face than on my arm.
I think in terms of spending, I would have been better sticking to handbags.

annodomini Sun 23-Jan-22 17:33:00

Most of my handbags in recent years have come via Ebay, I look for a brand that isn't 'ultra posh', but well made and stylish - mostly Tula which is a cheaper offshoot of Radley. It's not easy to see the difference. Now, if/when my current favourite wears out, having paid attention to vegan DS, I'll be looking for well designed faux leather bags, though it might be difficult to exercise the same scruples about shoes.

Kim19 Sun 23-Jan-22 17:34:11

I guess we all have an extravagance. Mine's shoes. Don't think I've ever paid more than a tenner for a handbag and have received many as freebies with catalogue purchases. All welcomed and used.

Elizabeth27 Sun 23-Jan-22 17:39:33

£80 is the most I have spent on a bag but my favourite is one I bought from a charity shop for £1.99.

Millie22 Sun 23-Jan-22 17:42:34

I have a LV bag but it is a lookey likey. I have mainly used it for trips to London as it looks so much like the real thing and when I checked they were £1k to buy!! I certainly wouldn't use it as an everyday bag as it may be nicked.

Aveline Sun 23-Jan-22 17:57:14

GrannyGravy I know that about bags but I still don't see any difference other than psychological or marketing triumph between a 'designer' bag and an otherwise identical bag.
Any commodity is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I just don't fall for it.

Lucca Sun 23-Jan-22 18:08:41

I have very few bags. Currently I would love a leather backpack ,slimline, in dark brown or oxblood leather… not over £100…any ideas ?

MissAdventure Sun 23-Jan-22 18:14:27

Has anyone got a really pretty, colourful, beautiful handbag?

All the expensive ones look very plain to me (as someone with no idea at all about them)
I would want a riot of colour or a beautiful pattern for my money.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 23-Jan-22 18:22:46

MissAdventure

All the expensive ones look very plain to me (as someone with no idea at all about them)
I would want a riot of colour or a beautiful pattern for my money.

I have a bright red cross body bag (Aspinal) with matching purse, really festive.

freedomfromthepast Sun 23-Jan-22 18:24:51

I have several purses, including a high end one my husband bought me years ago. I love them all, but have used a leather backpack I got in Rome for the last 3 1/2 years.

My husband bought me a new purse for Christmas, but I have returned it and bought a different style.

I would love to have all those high end bags, but I am to cheap to pay for them!

MissAdventure Sun 23-Jan-22 18:31:02

I'm obviously not a bag person.
I couldn't be bothered transferring my stuff from one to another.
A nice red bag sounds cheery.

(My predictive text wrote 'a nice red vag!!! blush)

Chewbacca Sun 23-Jan-22 18:55:12

Have a look at Kipling bags MissAdventure, loads to choose from, in many styles, patterns and colours at QVC.