Gransnet forums

Chat

Laughing till we cry

(111 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 20-Feb-22 10:31:08

My GD has just reminded me of a few weeks ago when we literally cried with laughter and just now when she reminded me we laughed so much my sides hurt.

The incident is unexplainable, it was literally a case of you HAD to be there.

There are countless other you HAD to be there moments but it all lead me to starting this post of WHAT MADE YOU LAUGH TILL YOU CRIED hahahaha.

A happy thread for a dismal Sunday morning....

smilesmilesmilesmile

Rosie61 Mon 21-Feb-22 13:10:45

Any episode of Father Ted!

annifrance Mon 21-Feb-22 13:11:13

My best friend had been staying and we were flying back to England together. We had found a glut of large cauliflower in our potager. We decided to take four back with us for our families. We put them in her empty cabin baggage. As we went through security at Toulouse airport the case went the x-ray machine. There was look of horror on the customs man's face as four perfect skulls appeared on his screen!! He was totally speechless when he opened the bag to be confronted by said cauliflowers and faced with two dotty English ladies of a
certain age who by now were convulsed with laughter and tears pouring down our faces. He moved us swiftly on.

We kept corpsing as we sat in the cafe next to two smartly dressed Frenchmen. We were infectious, after a while they too were laughing although they had no idea what about.

poshpaws Mon 21-Feb-22 13:12:16

Maywalk that's Gold!

queenofsaanich69 Mon 21-Feb-22 13:26:33

My husband and I trying to put a foam double mattress into it’s original bag when we were on holiday,it was massive and once we started laughing we couldn’t stop——-another time at a murder mystery,one of the actors( a friend)was so funny she should have been on the stage.

kentmaid Mon 21-Feb-22 13:30:25

Fits of the giggles - last Thursday. Not particularly funny but it set off my friend and infected me.
I live in one part of Spain and had met friends in another part.
My friend asked if we had Spanish neighbours. I mentioned that one neighbour owned the local bar called 3Js.
"Why that name?” she asked
Without really thinking, without pausing, I answered “I think they are Juan, Juan and the other Juan.”
I genuinely thought they were each called Juan but had never said it out loud.

GreenGran78 Mon 21-Feb-22 13:50:02

giulia. My Family and Other Animals is one of my favourite books. The part that always sets me laughing is when they are trying to make a dignified arrival. Their dog barks insults at all the local mutts, as they are driving, and they all give chase. The mental picture of them drawing to a halt, surrounded by a seething mass of barking dogs, while trying to keep a British 'stiff upper lip' always gets me going.

Gingster Mon 21-Feb-22 13:52:13

I love to laugh until my sides ache and my eyes are full of tears. Over the years there’s been so many! With old school friends , Dh and Dd.

The latest was with dh. I was talking about someone with acute angina. He said ‘who has a cute vagina’ ? OMG I’m still laughing!

Glasgo Mon 21-Feb-22 13:54:50

Rude but funny. While I was waiting in the hairdresser a very well dressed lady asked the receptionist for a hair appointment for a cut and blow job. How the receptionist keep a straight face till the customer left I will never know. We couldn’t stop laughing!
Many years ago we had remote controlled garage doors fitted which I was eager to show my mother. Playing a naughty trick on her I proceeded to show her how they worked. I hid the controller pressed it then stuck out my tongue. Hey presto the door went up then down. She was desperate to try too. Glad she saw the funny side as I couldn’t keep my laughter in!

Betty18 Mon 21-Feb-22 14:17:05

When I laugh like that it’s not my sides splitting I need to worry about. It’s being near a toilet?

Mummer Mon 21-Feb-22 14:18:55

?????????????

Mummer Mon 21-Feb-22 14:30:52

This tale is true I swear on whatever you want.
In pub in cCirencester in say 2001/2 really loud music very old pub down side street. With friends we were visiting. Some other Dutch tourists sat opposite in little pub lounge. Everyone roaring laughing juke box loud rock music..........so I decided I could let loose some spare wind without detection.
Wrong.
As soon as I embarked on the release everything but everything went totally quiet! Music, People , just a few chinking glasses behind bar.
To say it was like a cross between an elephant in pain and some strangled ducks.......
Whole place erupted .I was mortified and the Dutch? Said " don't worry it means the same in Dutch!"
It took a good 15minutes for everyone to settle down.......
I thank k you

Rosina Mon 21-Feb-22 14:56:16

Bill Bryson can reduce me to crying with laughter - 'A Walk in the Woods' had my husband laughing on the train so he had to stop reading it there. ( No normal emotions to be demonstrated by commuters. ) However, that lovely video clip of the lady and the waist shaper posted by MerylStreep has had the tears rolling. Priceless- thank you!

lizzypopbottle Mon 21-Feb-22 15:00:47

My son was reading Axel Sheffler's Flip Flap Safari to his little niece. As they turned the pages he read the animal noises in such a deadpan voice, e.g. snort snort, that my daughter and I just laughed till it hurt.

gulligranny Mon 21-Feb-22 15:11:55

Warning; possible offence could be caused!

Some 15 years ago my BF and I (even then mature ladies of a certain age) went on an outing to Hever Castle - gorgeous place, wonderful gardens. As was our wont we took packed lunches with us and stopped to partake of same, sitting in an alcove in the Italian Garden. It was a very hot day and to ensure that our bottles of water were cold when we wanted to drink them, we had frozen them overnight so that they could defrost slowly until required. My dear friend's water hadn't melted as quickly as mine and she said in all innocence: "I've been sucking on this for ages and I can't get anything out". Her mind is not the sewer that mine is, and it took a little while for her to realise why I had collapsed in a giggling heap - however, when she did she also collapsed and everyone passing us was treated to the sight of two middle-aged-to-elderly women with their arms round each other, red-faced and weeping with uncontrollable laughter for quite some time!

Kryptonite Mon 21-Feb-22 15:12:07

A laughing until we cried incident was one of the stand out moments in a long standing friendship of mine and has become legend. Just the other day we reminisced about this very fondly. We attended a pottery party in the mid '80s and just found the whole thing hilarious. Not sure why we laughed so much, but we were quite tired and hungry. Last to arrive, first to leave because we couldn't stop laughing. And trying to stifle our laughter just made it worse. I knew no one there, apart from my friend. The hostess was entirely unamused, which made us want to laugh more. I can still recall her pinched and rather severe look. She just couldn't see the funny side at all and looked at me as though I was pathetic and rude, and leading my friend astray. ? We felt like naughty schoolgirls, though the hostess was the same age as us. The atmosphere when we arrived was stiff and starchy, and there was no food on offer, while the pictures of pottery in the catalogue were full of unobtainable food. I found this completely hilarious too. Everyone else was taking the pottery party so seriously, which added to our mirth, I think. My friend tried to control herself, as she had been invited by the host, but couldn't. Couldn't even look at each other without dissolving into giggles. After a while, some of the guests began to smile, realising that we just couldn't help it, and of course, it was funny. It lightened the mood anyway. I am laughing again now. ??? I'm sure we tried to apologise. ? In the end we had to leave, staggering down the concrete steps of the block of flats into the night to let rip fully. My friend never saw the hostess again, though she was invited to 'get together' some time in front of me. ? Good times!

Zoejory Mon 21-Feb-22 15:17:30

I was at a Russell Brand show and had to make a hasty retreat to the loo due to being almost hysterical. I was obviously totally out of control. Tears were streaming down my face, my nose began, I could hardly breathe at one point. What had he said that tickled me so much? No idea. I didn't even want to see Russell Brand particularly but my daughter asked me along as a birthday treat.

Another time I was watching Michael McIntyre on TV. He was describing British people abroad compared to other nations , ( probably not very acceptable) but I was once again in hysterics.

And I didn't think I liked him either.

Sometimes we just get a fit if the giggles. There's young man on TikTok who I adore. I can just think about his clips and dissolve.

Maybe I just get overly giddy and laugh too much

Sawsage2 Mon 21-Feb-22 15:42:23

A newspaper typist answering a phone call from a man for the Personal column typed 'man looking for a woman for head-on-a-stick pleasure '. Still makes me laugh!

MerylStreep Mon 21-Feb-22 15:54:01

I, with a friend were asked to leave an Anne Summers shop because we completely lost it looking at the Rampant Rabbit.
In my defence i had imbibed a few Gins at a lunchtime jazz club.

MissAdventure Mon 21-Feb-22 16:01:17

My daughter and I got the giggles really badly when she went to try on wigs with 2 lovely volunteers at the hospital.

They put one on her, which was just hair on an elastic band, so you could wear a hat with it and it covered your bald head.

My girl said "I think if I raise my eyebrows up and down it will work it's way up and then ping off the top of my head".

The poor women were being so solemn and respectful, but that just made it funnier.

annemarg Mon 21-Feb-22 16:09:56

On this occasion we did laugh so much we cried, and when we thought of this days afterwards we started again!

I asked my husband how his friend was these days, and it sounded to me as though he said "Oh he's fine, he is going off on one of his sheep shearing holidays soon." Absolutely amazed, I said "I didn't know he could shear sheep!!! There was a silence, husband turned round and said slowly "I said - he's going off on one of his cheap Shearings holidays soon"!!!

I can truthfully say I have never laughed so much in my life!

Lizzie44 Mon 21-Feb-22 16:19:08

DH and I were moving house long distance. For the first night in our rented house we were without our furniture as it was being delivered the next day. We had brought inflatable camping beds but neither of us had any experience of such things. We assembled the foot-operated pump and got started with it. It was late at night and it made the most weird grunty, breathy noise. We became conscious that on the other side of the bedroom wall would be our new semi-detached neighbours. The more we thought about this, the more helpless we became, laughing hysterically, rolling round the bedroom floor, tears flowing down our cheeks. What would our neighbours be thinking? We lived there for 10 months before finding a house to buy and during that time neither our neighbours nor ourselves ever referred to the night of our arrival. 15 years on it still makes us laugh.
Runners-up to that laugh/cry experience would be Bob Mortimer's "Would I Lie to You?" sagas, and Bill Bailey's televised stage performances.

MerylStreep Mon 21-Feb-22 16:19:09

I got the giggles really bad when having a colonoscopy.
I’d gone with my friend who is the femail equivalent of Billy Connolly so before the examination she had gone into all these scenarios of what could happen with a camera up your backside.
Thankfully the young doctor saw the jokes.

giulia Mon 21-Feb-22 16:30:29

GreenGran78

giulia. My Family and Other Animals is one of my favourite books. The part that always sets me laughing is when they are trying to make a dignified arrival. Their dog barks insults at all the local mutts, as they are driving, and they all give chase. The mental picture of them drawing to a halt, surrounded by a seething mass of barking dogs, while trying to keep a British 'stiff upper lip' always gets me going.

Absolutely! Must read it again. I saw that the book has been dramatized by the BBC(?). Lost all of it's humour. Just has to be READ.

Serendipity22 Mon 21-Feb-22 16:31:59

annemarg HAAAAAAA.
MISSHEARING .....

Its like 1 day i needed to take a urine sample of my mums to get tested. ( at the Drs )

I said "Right, ill take this to get tested."

Mum said "Ohh is there anything they don't do?"

Me.... "What?"

Mum...." Tesco, they do everything now."

Me ..... "I said TESTED not TESCO."

Mum laughed her stocking tops off .....

jocork Mon 21-Feb-22 16:45:23

That took me a minute but hilarious when the penny dropped!