Gransnet forums

Chat

I do love them BUT……

(133 Posts)
Esspee Tue 22-Feb-22 17:38:49

I am sure many of us have people in our lives that we love but who sometimes drive us crazy.
As an example my OH and I are a great match BUT he constantly leaves drawers, cupboards and doors open. I am constantly closing things and I have to check the outside doors as they are often unlocked.
He is 75 so I reckon I am unlikely to be able to change him so I try to remain calm and ignore it.
What drives you crazy about your loved ones?

TBsNana Wed 23-Feb-22 12:19:55

Oh M0nica and Esspee...I think we might be married to the same man......??

Dianehillbilly1957 Wed 23-Feb-22 12:24:29

I think leaving drawers and cupboards open and never putting things back is a man thing! My other half does it and I know many women who complain about this!! My mum always said " they all come from the same mother as they all have the same gene"!!

ALANaV Wed 23-Feb-22 12:26:13

True, but you;ll miss them when they have gone/died and will wish you still had the mess !

MissAdventure Wed 23-Feb-22 12:30:02

Yep.
You'll probably hear a ghostly trumpeting great sneeze... and know they're with you in spirit.

Yangste1007 Wed 23-Feb-22 12:34:16

MissAdventure

Yep.
You'll probably hear a ghostly trumpeting great sneeze... and know they're with you in spirit.

Or clearing their throat!!

Janetashbolt Wed 23-Feb-22 12:35:36

My neighbour sneezes so loudly we can hear when he is downstairs and we are upstairs

grandtanteJE65 Wed 23-Feb-22 12:36:11

I am quite happy to remember all DH's good points and to admit that I have traits that drive him made, but right now we are letting off steam about the things that drive US crazy.

So here is mine:
since he hurt his shoulder three years ago, DH has never done a washing-up, although he could without hurting himself.

I was building a log pile, and when I had got the first ten or twelve rows of logs piled up DH comes and says, I should have placed the two outer logs on each side of the pile in the opposite direction to the others to prevent the stack from slilpping.

It would have been nice to have been told that when I started and not an hour later when the stack started slipping.

I have never built a log pile in my life before - so how was I meant to know that? When I asked he just said, "But everyone knows that" "No, dear, they do not. Only those who have built a log pile before know this!"

Namsnanny Wed 23-Feb-22 12:37:13

Mine too Treetops some things have been lost for some 30 years. "They're not lost because they havent been thrown out. They're here some where".

knspol Wed 23-Feb-22 12:37:46

I'm feeling quite calm and rested this morning after a good night's sleep so I won't spoil it by thinking about this - for the moment!

Spec1alk Wed 23-Feb-22 12:38:37

Rosina I think we are married to the same man!

kwest Wed 23-Feb-22 12:39:38

Why do they do that sneezing thing? I have never heard a woman sneezing loudly.

travelsafar Wed 23-Feb-22 12:43:17

My husband always use to leave the toilet seat up which drove me mad. How i would love to walk in the bathroom and see that again!!!

MaggsMcG Wed 23-Feb-22 12:46:23

ALANaV

True, but you;ll miss them when they have gone/died and will wish you still had the mess !

So true. I was just thinking that myself. Have had to do a few DIY jobs this week, and no one to cook for me for the last year. ? It's OK, but I do miss him a lot at times even his annoying habits. This Post did make me laugh though.

Purplepixie Wed 23-Feb-22 12:46:47

There isn’t enough hours in the day to type it all out but I wouldn’t change him for the world. These little things make the person that he is.

Mummer Wed 23-Feb-22 13:05:02

Band....brass band! I'm a bit of a band widow ...DH gets REALLY agitated of I dare criticize his band/members/band dates he's not told me about but swears he has/ any other band Business! He use to sit waiting for his 'lift' on Saturday in chair by the window, like a little boy waiting to go to a party! Anything at ALL to do with band is sacrosanct.
All events/holidays/visits/ any and all activities are subject to band priorities........

winterwhite Wed 23-Feb-22 13:05:33

Oh dear, in respect to leaving things lying around I'm worse than DH? Principal battlefield is the hall which he likes to be as neat as a new pin and I like to look like a house where people live. In the appropriate seasons I leave a casual fair isle scarf on a chair or a sun hat over the bannisters or a book on a shelf and have bets with myself how long they stay there.
Most days I comfort myself with thinking the borderline between the words tidy and pernickety is really very thin?.

Hattiehelga Wed 23-Feb-22 13:10:21

Just doesn't listen then swears I haven't told him and won't waver when I remind him of the conversation. Instead of Yes or No everything but everything has to be a great debate. "Why didn't you say...." but won't deal with a problem himself. Shall I go on ???

DC64 Wed 23-Feb-22 13:14:11

Snoring … actually breathing in general ?

missdeke Wed 23-Feb-22 13:14:38

I live alone so have nobody to annoy me. I do however annoy myself. I leave cupboard doors open and bang my head on them, I leave lights on when not needed and I forget to turn the extractor fan off in the bathroom to name a few. It's really annoying having no one to blame. grin

inishowen Wed 23-Feb-22 13:19:40

Mine won't use a plate for a sandwich, toast, biscuits or cake! He drops crumbs everywhere. He also claims he doesn't understand the recycling. He leaves everything at the back door for me to take out to the bins. Am I annoyed? Not really. He does so many good things around the house. Yesterday he fitted a new shower. He does all the cooking, mows the lawn, mends the car etc etc.,

Keffie12 Wed 23-Feb-22 13:25:12

Same here! My husband passed away 4 years ago next month, unexpectedly. I was thinking the same as you.

All those little things that drive you mad, I too, used to grumble about, I would give anything for to have him now, doing.

Skyblue2 Wed 23-Feb-22 13:30:54

Gosh - it’s amazing how many men are the same! My late DH was constantly losing keys, pens, wallet, shoes, combs, bank card- anything in fact. He once lost a friends set of keys - we were looking after her flat - three days later I found them in a half opened packet of pork pies in the fridge!! He had an amazing brain though and could recite reams of poetry and talk on any subject!

Curlywhirly Wed 23-Feb-22 13:36:26

Mine always clears up after our evening meal (I do all the cooking); he puts crockery etc in dishwasher and fills the washing up bowl with lovely hot soapy water for the pans - then sits down with a cup of tea! Never thinks to wash the damn pans, just leaves them for me! But the thing that annoys me the most is how much he sleeps! He only has to sit down for 5 minutes and he's fast asleep (he's been like this all his life, so it's nothing to do with getting old). On holiday he has to have an afternoon nap (5.00pm - 7.00pm) just like a toddler!

pinkym Wed 23-Feb-22 13:40:47

Mine is great, he puts on washing and empties the machine and hangs to dry once done, hoovers (well), cleans the grate and many other things, so I do feel mean griping (I'm sure he has just as much to gripe about me), but it's his huge amounts of clothes that drive me nuts and the fact he insists on leaving his entire collection of work clothes (including thermals) on the spare room bed permanently. Plus other assorted piles of clothing dotted around. Who needs 15 t-shirts "for painting" in and numerous pairs of jeans for the same purpose. I forget the last time he did any painting! Good job I love him! smile

Nannina Wed 23-Feb-22 13:43:08

My two sons both empty their pockets on arrival at my house and deposit the contents on various surfaces. When they’re leaving it’s ‘where’s my keys/wallet/mobile/I pod?’ etc. Worse still is when they leave and I find something left behind and have to ring and tell them. I’ve tried putting a box out for everything to be put in one place but it remains unused. I’ve come to the conclusion they’re just like animals marking their territory ?