Gransnet forums

Chat

Unthanked

(36 Posts)
Esmay Tue 15-Mar-22 10:28:36

Whilst my father was in hospital for his first stay this year -I thought that it would be a nice gesture to prune my neighbour's horrendously overgrown roses as promised .

A lovely sunny morning - pruning them was a massive job .

I cleared away all the prunings filling my garden bin to capacity and with aching hands admired my efforts .

A bath later and off to the hospital - I thought how pleased she'd be .

That was over a fortnight ago .

There has been no phone call ,no note and no thank you .

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Mar-22 23:26:55

You're probably not as slow as me Esmay!

AreWeThereYet Wed 16-Mar-22 09:19:26

If she is anything like me she may not even have noticed yet ?
I love my garden but I'm not the most observant of people sometimes.

I would just mention it in passing 'Oh and I pruned your roses back as I promised to, they should flower beautifully now' and see what she says. Maybe she thought you had forgotten about your promise and has put it out of her mind.

My MiL once cleaned and polished my kitchen floor while she was staying with us - I was out and when I came back didn't notice as it was pretty clean and shiny before I went out. I did notice later but wasn't sure so was left wondering whether to say anything. If she hadn't cleaned it she might have thought I thought she should have cleaned it... I never did mention it.

Georgesgran Wed 16-Mar-22 10:59:57

Esmay - I wish you’d come and prune my roses!! Last year after DH died I was promised several visits by a chap who never turned up. I found a second chap, but by then (even up North by mid-April)he said it was too late to prune them. I’ve been expecting him back this month, but he says his truck’s off the road. I’m desperate as the roses are taller than me now!

Esmay Wed 16-Mar-22 19:18:31

Georgesgran - love to prune your roses !

If you can just get some shears and hack them down - you really don't have to prune prettily !

The worse thing that can happen is some die back .

One of my mother's old roses is so prolific that I cut it back drastically twice a year .

The first time I did it I was really shocked at the length of the shoots - they'd taken over a bottle brush tree ,a camellia and the fence for support .
The flowers are soft pink and fragrant .

I propagated some new roses from it and an old climber, which is apricot and cream for the children of a lady who'd died .

Some of my friends are very appreciative of plants that I give them .

I've just lifted some gorgeous early blooming deep purple iris for one .They'd grown all over the Virgin cabling !

25Avalon Wed 16-Mar-22 19:34:04

Esmay roses apart from ramblers and climbers should be pruned back to 6-10” every winter. February is an ideal time. So you did everything right and obviously have expert knowledge. It was very kind of you and hard work plus you cleared up completely. Maybe it might have been best to have told her what you were about to do. Maybe she just doesn’t think but hey she will when she has a fabulous display of roses in the summer.

Coastpath Wed 16-Mar-22 21:08:15

Perhaps she hasn't noticed. I think some people just don't notice things.

I once met a neighbour at a party and commented that there was often a squirrel in the tree in his front garden. He said, "Really. Is there a tree in my front garden?"

Galaxy Wed 16-Mar-22 21:34:38

My dad who is nearly 80 cleared my back garden late Autumn, I was very grateful. I noticed after 3 weeks.

VioletSky Wed 16-Mar-22 21:47:56

Lol

My husband cut the hedge last week, unfortunately I have noticed because its all accross the lawn where it fell

Thank goodness I don't have to thank him

Galaxy Wed 16-Mar-22 21:57:37

grin. No, no thanking of husbands. A while ago mine decided to thank me every time I made tea. I told him to stop being weird.

VioletSky Wed 16-Mar-22 22:01:26

grin