Gransnet forums

Chat

Can I retire when I am fifty-three?

(58 Posts)
ShropshireMiss Fri 22-Apr-22 01:13:09

Would it be realistic for me to retire in three years time, when I will reach 53 years of age?
I was a teacher for many years but a few years ago changed to a lower paid but less stressful/less time consuming civil service job.
I am now mortgage free with a small bungalow and no dependants.
My teachers’ pension will start in ten years time when I am 60 and will start at approx £12,000 together with a lump sum.
My civil service pension will start in 17 years time when I am 67 and currently will start at about £3,000 (I transferred in an old stakeholder pension) and will start at about £4,500 if I stay working another three years.
My state pension is due to start at 67, so in 17 years time, and I will have built up the full NI contributions by then (I need 37 years due to being contracted out).
What I’m not sure is will I be able to manage on my savings & investments between from age 53 to age 60 when the first pension starts, and then to age 67 when the other two pensions kick in?
I’ve got about £400,000 in savings & investments. A quarter of this is in premium bonds & cash ISAs. The rest is in stocks and shares which produce a dividend income of about £6,000 although it’s currently being reinvested.
I don’t have any children so leaving an inheritance isn’t an issue for me.
I feel like I should be able to take the plunge and retire now and live off the investments and savings, but it feels like a big step to take.

Katie59 Fri 22-Apr-22 16:18:50

My career ended 5 yrs ago, with a full pension would bore me silly retiring while I am still active so I work 3 or 4 days a week, no stress, it gets me mixing with others and still plenty of time to enjoy holidays and days out.

welbeck Fri 22-Apr-22 16:25:07

i don't know anything about any of this.
but, don't people have to pay or be credited, (eg through receiving carer's allowance or doing childcare as a GP,) NI contributions until they receive the state pension.
i guess you could pay it yourself.
does anyone know about this. i don't.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 22-Apr-22 16:30:38

The phrase...” If it isn’t broke...don’t fix it” comes to mind. As someone up thread said, you could have another 40 years.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 22-Apr-22 17:15:17

When you have a holiday, especially if it’s sunny, it’s tempting to think that every day would be like that if you retired. It isn’t. I wouldn’t have retired when I did if I still enjoyed my job. I’m lucky to still have my husband but I imagine that there could be a lot of loneliness for someone on their own, especially in the winter. And for me, retiring in case you might have to go back to the office one day is like lemmings jumping off a cliff.

V3ra Fri 22-Apr-22 17:16:22

My Dad had a heart attack and bypass in his early 60s, then had a phased return to work.
He then followed the normal retirement wind-down programme his company ran, gradually reducing his hours and days until he retired as expected at 65.

I do think winding down gradually is a good idea as it gives you time to build up other activities and interests.

I'm planning to scale back my childminding business so I have some hours free during the day from September when my current pre-schoolers start reception. It means I'm turning people away, demand for places is crazy at the moment.

My state pension will start next year (at 66) but I'll probably defer it if I'm still earning enough.

ShropshireMiss Fri 22-Apr-22 17:30:15

Thanks for everyone’s comments, it is really helpful to hear a range of views. I’ll see how the next few years pan out. If work from home or hybrid working continues then retiring at 60 seems reasonable, and is what I had always expected to do when I was still teaching, as that was my teachers pension scheme retirement age.

ShropshireMiss Sat 23-Apr-22 12:05:11

Thanks for all the comments ladies, they have given me a lot of food for thought.