Gransnet forums

Chat

How often do you change your bedlinen?

(103 Posts)
JaneJudge Fri 06-May-22 09:11:37

www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-61259074

I am obviously a typical female as I change ours weekly/fortnightly (at most) I feel slightly disturbed that people do not change it for 4 months or more grin even though it isn't any of my business smile

lemsip Fri 06-May-22 10:16:53

no need to be nasty Blossoming she is providing a link! She didn't pluck the question out of mid air!
there's not much else happening on Gn ,,,

Shrub Fri 06-May-22 10:17:41

When I realise it's been a while!

Jaxjacky Fri 06-May-22 10:19:06

Oh crumbs, am I supposed to hoover thé bed? Don’t know how we’ve survived thus far!

GagaJo Fri 06-May-22 10:21:38

When I worked in boarding school, I had a student whose mother would come to settle her in at the beginning of each term, and put enough sheets on her bed, for her to take off one a week to reveal the clean sheet underneath (they were responsible for cleaning their rooms and making their beds).

LadyGracie Fri 06-May-22 10:30:17

Bottom sheet and pillowcases once a week. Duvet cover fortnightly. Bathroom towels twice a week. Kitchen towels and dishcloths at least once a day.

maddyone Fri 06-May-22 10:35:04

Much like LadyGracie. Sheets and pillowcases every week. Towels twice a week. tea towels daily mostly, also dishcloths daily.

BlueSky Fri 06-May-22 10:41:04

Weekly of course.

Yammy Fri 06-May-22 10:50:22

Who's to know if we are telling the truth? What does it matter.
All I say is I use hospital corners as taught by mother.smile

Audi10 Fri 06-May-22 11:09:17

Once a week, everything gets changed! Why are people saying none of your business if they don’t like the thread posted then just pass it by!

paddyann54 Fri 06-May-22 11:13:21

Wednesdays and Saturdays ,every week ,same as my mother did.Only one bed now ,and very little that needs ironed .

paddyann54 Fri 06-May-22 11:15:21

Yammy my Dad taught us hospital corners,he was in the navy during the war and apparently the beds were inspected and the officer had to be able to bounce a coin off them to prove they were tight enough ...lol

BlueSky Fri 06-May-22 11:21:14

Paddyann my DH wasn’t in the Navy (or any other of the services) but has a thing about the bottom sheet being tight! So now I leave him to it! Another job off my list! grin

Squiffy Fri 06-May-22 11:27:37

Yammy Oh yes, hospital corners! I was well versed in those by my DM and just have to do them!

Millie22 Fri 06-May-22 11:37:07

Every now and again

We have had this question many times in the past but he ho. Like how often do you shower.

Witzend Fri 06-May-22 11:43:48

When I think ‘It’s about time I changed those sheets.’

It’s never a set period - I don’t have set days or times for anything.

MissAdventure Fri 06-May-22 11:46:57

When I feel up to it, which is increasingly rare.

1summer Fri 06-May-22 11:48:27

Every week but in winter sometimes stretch to 10 days due to drying them.

Oldwoman70 Fri 06-May-22 11:52:52

This was discussed on local radio the other day and one man rang in to claim he hadn't changed his sheets in 4 years!!

Apparently sheets should be changed once a week (2 weeks at the most) as people sweat during the night and shed skin cells, this then "blocks" the sheet and can cause skin irritation and even bed bugs

I change sheets every Monday - love the feeling of getting into bed that night with lovely clean sheets (I even iron them!)

Witzend Fri 06-May-22 11:57:12

Jaxjacky

Oh crumbs, am I supposed to hoover thé bed? Don’t know how we’ve survived thus far!

I only hoovered mine for the first time after reading the bit about dust mites in Bill Bryson’s ‘A Short History Of Nearly Everything’.

Not recommended for the squeamish!

A mass of yellowish dust - quite unlike ordinary dust - came out - presumably the colour of all the dust mite poo I’d been reading about. Same colour as the water in the machine when I washed (also for the first time) our feather and down pillows.

MissAdventure Fri 06-May-22 12:05:17

I hoover my bed.
It's the best way to remove the toast crumbs.

sodapop Fri 06-May-22 13:46:18

Every two weeks here as well. I don't use fitted sheets any more far too fiddly to iron etc. Vacuum the mattress every time I change the bed, flat sheet on the bottom with hospital corners and another flat sheet between me and the duvet. That way if I'm too hot I can just have the sheet to cover me. I hang my duvet and pillows out of the window when I'm bed changing

lemsip Fri 06-May-22 13:47:06

www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-61259074

Dr Browning says we need to have airflow to feel cool when sleeping - as that's when we get the best shuteye.

But it's not just sweat that we need to think of, our own dead skin cells which we get rid of during sleep are also a concern.

"If you don't wash your bedsheets enough, your dead skin cells are going to build up in these sheets."

Sound horrible? It gets worse. That build-up means small creatures known as mites can feed off those cells, causing discomfort and skin rashes.

"You won't only be sleeping in the yuckiness of the sweat and dead skin cells, but the mites too."....

go on click on the link that janejudge first posted

MissAdventure Fri 06-May-22 14:12:58

I can live with a rash.
In fact I already do.

Kim19 Fri 06-May-22 14:14:31

How difficult it was for me to break a habit. For many years the 'tablets of stone' bedlinen change was every Wed. Amusingly it was tied in with football on telly. Once widowed I continued but found the practice more physically cha!lenging. One day, as I was doing the dreaded deed, I found myself thinking that the bed looked as if it hadn't been slept in. Pause for reflection..... there was only me and I showered every day and....was weekly really necessary? I've now moved on to somewhat whimsical. No, not outrageous. More like sensible. Anyway, suits me and that's what matters methinks.

DaffyDill Fri 06-May-22 14:29:57

Every week, sometimes more in hot weather
Love a clean fresh bed .