Gransnet forums

Chat

Synonyms for ‘Fat’ that aren’t Cringeworthy…?

(335 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 12-May-22 09:55:39

Hello! smile
I am fat.

But I do not like saying ‘I am fat’.

But neither do I like ‘curvaceous’ (probably the best of a bad bunch); ‘cuddly’ (bleugh); ‘curvalicious’ (give me strength); or the word de joure ‘thick’ (confused)

Can you think of any acceptable, non-cringe words for not being slender? Because I can’t

Thank you!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 12-May-22 10:24:09

Reubenesque?

Polly73 Thu 12-May-22 10:25:25

Rubens like

Polly73 Thu 12-May-22 10:25:51

Cross post smile

Whiff Thu 12-May-22 10:29:21

I was a fat child then teenager who became a morbidly obese adult. After losing over 7st with just over stone to go. I would say I am plump. Will never be skinny but don't want to be. At 5' 2" the 11st target will still make me overweight. But it's what I want. Was size 32 now 16. At 64 I am happy with my shape even the wrinkles and flabby bits. It's how you see yourself that matters.

I have a friend who will never say fat. I asked her what's the opposite of thin she said thick. I would rather be fat than called thick as that implies I am not intelligent. Which I am.

The best thing is to learn to love yourself warts and all. No one is perfect anyway perfect would be boring. Who wants to be boring.

BlueSky Thu 12-May-22 10:29:44

I was and still am, ‘Pleasantly plump’ smile

gallusquine Thu 12-May-22 10:30:27

My favourite t-shirt and it says everything that I need to say on the matter ?

Polly73 Thu 12-May-22 10:33:17

I think I say ‘big’. “I have a friend who is quite big”. Not great, though.

MrsKen33 Thu 12-May-22 10:34:19

My cousin once asked my sister how had she become so portly.
Not a nice word and my sister was offended. But what other word might he have used ?

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 10:40:28

Stout is one you rarely hear these days.
I usually just say I'm quite fat.

Caleo Thu 12-May-22 10:42:19

My mother and her friends would say "She 's become rather stout".

GrannyLaine Thu 12-May-22 10:43:50

For reference, I’m a bit along the lines of Kirstie Allsop at her largest.

I've never thought of Kirstie as being fat, Fanny

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 10:44:48

I can remember my nan, clutching her handbag, wearing her coat (because she was never stopping) referring to people as stout. smile

Urmstongran Thu 12-May-22 10:51:52

I’m overweight.

Elizabeth27 Thu 12-May-22 10:51:57

Grandmabatty

I think that society is conditioned to think skinny/slim is the best way to look. It isn't helped by cadaverous models and actresses. Therefore the words associated with being rounder usually have negative connotations. I know about health benefits in being slim etc but that doesn't help women who aren't slim and who don't have a positive self image.

Why is ok to be negative about thin people? “Cadaverous models and actresses” but fat people must not be called fat.

Vintagejazz Thu 12-May-22 10:57:34

If you're describing yourself on a clothes forum could you just say 'I'm five foot three and a size 16' or whatever?

geekesse Thu 12-May-22 10:58:53

‘A bonny lass’ was how one of my son’s girlfriends described herself. She was quite beautiful, and generously proportioned.

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 11:00:49

Vintagejazz

If you're describing yourself on a clothes forum could you just say 'I'm five foot three and a size 16' or whatever?

Or, I'm 5ft tall and 4ft wide? smile

FannyCornforth Thu 12-May-22 11:02:24

Stout is something I prefer to drink.
I’ve been trying to download a picture of KA at ‘her largest’ and I’m not allowed to.
Think Jo Frost (Supernanny) too (but not at her largest)

I usually say ‘I’m quite fat / large’ too

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 11:06:54

Cuddly? Nah..
Built for comfort, not speed? Nah...

Bonny seems a nice descriptive word.

Grandmabatty Thu 12-May-22 11:17:11

Sigh. I am not being negative about slim people per se. I was commenting on emaciated models and actresses purporting to be the norm. Read up on how these young women were/are treated and the high incidence of eating disorders. Elizabeth. It is fine to be slim.

Marmight Thu 12-May-22 11:17:43

I referred to myself as fat and GS, then about 7, berated me. At school we aren’t allowed to say that word, we have to say ‘plump’. I’m still ‘plump’ 3 years on ?

toscalily Thu 12-May-22 11:18:28

Statuesque - (of a woman) attractively tall, graceful, and dignified.
"her statuesque beauty"

FannyCornforth Thu 12-May-22 11:21:22

Statuesque is absolutely beautiful.
Like pre Raphaelite beauties (or ‘stunners’ - another bleurgh)

toscalily Thu 12-May-22 11:23:19

I rather like these slightly old fashioned words, could this be you Fanny?

Rebenesquec - characteristic or reminiscent of the paintings of Rubens, especially with reference to his voluptuous female nudes.
"a Rubenesque woman reclines on her chaise longue"

M0nica Thu 12-May-22 11:24:03

just say what size in clothes you are since you are talking clothes.