Gransnet forums

Chat

Blast from the past.

(170 Posts)
Grannyben Mon 04-Jul-22 20:00:37

Today I saw Nellie, Olive, Ada and Elsie sitting around the table chatting. You might think I was visiting my local care home but no, it was open afternoon at my grandsons nursery school and these beautiful young ladies were all aged 4. Who would have thought such old names would have been so popular again

Grammaretto Tue 05-Jul-22 18:06:46

One of our zoom quiz games during lockdown was to find a boy's name from the top 100 in 1975. First wrong answer and you were out!
The younger family members thought William and Harry would be there but of course they weren't!
We won because I just went through the names from my DS school year and footballers . Stephen, Gregor, Ryan, Graham, Christopher, Jason, David, John etc
You never hear John nowadays.

Chestnut Tue 05-Jul-22 18:31:37

Callistemon21

We know a couple of lovely Denis's

They're not little boys, though; one is in his 80s, another in his 60s.

They would have calmed down by then. I'll bet they were naughty when young. ?

Caleo Tue 05-Jul-22 18:43:13

Dennis the Menice he's a bundle of dynamite. Old song lyric.

Usernametaken Tue 05-Jul-22 19:03:45

My Nick name is Olive, apparently in old photo’s I looked like Olive from “On the Buses”. Kind of insulting ??

Grammaretto Tue 05-Jul-22 19:05:25

I had an aunt Olive. I never met her though.
She was born in 1904

Seabreeze Tue 05-Jul-22 19:10:27

My 4 year old gd is Matilda “ Milly” for short. I love Milly but not so keen on Matilda,reminds me of the film !

CanadianGran Tue 05-Jul-22 19:16:31

I know a little boy called Roy, and his brother Eli. Sounds like they should be wearing dungarees and driving tractors! These two are grandsons to our friends. They said it took some getting used to, but of course they wouldn't suit anything else now, they are lovely little boys!

Claudiaclaws Tue 05-Jul-22 19:23:03

Do people like the name Pamela? My sister's name.

welbeck Tue 05-Jul-22 19:42:36

Callistemon21

I've never met an Elvis.
Only someone with a similar Italian version of the name.

i have. a market inspector, about 25 years ago.
big tall man. useful for that job.
even so, someone attempted to stab him when he was seizing counterfeit goods.
had a stab vest but they don't cover everything.

welbeck Tue 05-Jul-22 19:58:38

i believe toniblair/tonibler is a popular name among kosovans/albanians.

Witzend Tue 05-Jul-22 20:06:46

My younger sister was Mia long before anyone (at least that we knew 60+ years ago) had ever heard of it. My brother who wasn’t very much older couldn’t say Mary, so she’s been Mia ever since, and has always used it professionally.

She never liked Mary anyway, and once upset our mother very badly by accusing her of having named her after the ugly one in Pride and Prejudice - whereas in fact it was after a much-loved GM of DM’s, who was Mary Ann.

Some decades ago people used to ask whether she’d copied it from Mia Farrow - er, no, it was all down to her (little) big brother.

grannygranby Tue 05-Jul-22 20:30:59

Florence of course is popular, Cameron’s youngest , I only know that because it was my grans and mums name, the latter disliked it as she felt it too old fashioned and used to pretend the F stood for Frances which she gave me as a middle name. But interestingly when she was admitted to hospital in her nineties the doctors thought her name lovely and she re- adopted it !!

grandmac Tue 05-Jul-22 20:38:24

I’ve got a Florence Theresa, named after 2 of her gt.grandmothers, an Ada Constance after a gt.gt.grandmother, also a Tobias, a Jacob and a Sofia amongst my grandchildren. All beautiful names.

pinkprincess Tue 05-Jul-22 21:02:59

My grandmother was Isabella.She had four close relatives with that name as well.Both of her grandmothers also had that name.When I was young it was a very old lady name, but now it has become popular again
My middle name is Lois which for some reason I detest.My mother had seeing written down somewhere and thought it sounded posh.Fortunatly my first name was chosen by my paternal grandmother it had been the name of one of her sisters who had died shortly after her birth.
I had a great aunt Nelly, real name Eleanor.
I had another great aunt known as Ada, but her real names were Edith Jane
I was born in 1944 and there were four girls called Carol in my school class, all born in December. Other popular names at the time were Valerie, Christine, Dorothy, Sheila, Sylvia,Jean, Margaret, Mary and Anne.I also had a school friend called Vivienne after Vivienne Leigh, Shirley after Shirley Temple and even an Ingrid after Ingrid Bergman.There were two girls called Margaret Rose after Princess Margaret
One of my great aunts had a friend called Lexie her real name was Alexandra.Now there are loads of Lexies.

rubysong Tue 05-Jul-22 21:09:12

On DH's family tree there is a branch with a very large family. One of the girls was named Twelvetta.

Greenfinch Tue 05-Jul-22 21:16:29

My grandmother’s name was Wilhelmina as was her grandmother’s who spelt it Williamina (Scottish). I can’t see it combining back into popularity but you never know!

DutchDoll Tue 05-Jul-22 21:29:38

My DGS3 is Rowan Stanley and his sister is Tallulah Rose.

misty34 Tue 05-Jul-22 22:08:54

My 4 grandsons are Tobias, Samuel, James and Joshua I think they are all fabulous names. My young next door neighbour had a daughter 3 days ago. She is so beautiful for a new born, cherub lips and gorgeous hair. She has named her Elsie. I love it.

Ali08 Tue 05-Jul-22 23:05:46

Usernametaken

My Nick name is Olive, apparently in old photo’s I looked like Olive from “On the Buses”. Kind of insulting ??

I looked like Olive Oyl at high school, because I was so skinny.
But I was nicknamed Flo/Flossy at another school. The only things I can think of for that is either my fine, flyaway hair or Andy Capps wife! Lol
A friend used to call me Skeletor, also because of my skinniness. I wonder what he'd call me now, as I've put on quite a bit of weight?!

Ali08 Tue 05-Jul-22 23:09:42

PinkPrincess,
Not many Alexandra's, though. I'm not kern on Lexie, but each to their own.

Grandma70s Tue 05-Jul-22 23:25:12

Claudiaclaws

Do people like the name Pamela? My sister's name.

Yes, I like it. I think it maybe due for a revival. I like the full name, rather than the diminutive, Pam.

Chestnut Tue 05-Jul-22 23:47:00

Wayne and Waynetta called their baby Spudulika which I think should make a comeback.

Caleo Wed 06-Jul-22 01:13:26

Adolf will never again be widely popular for baby boys.

Caleo Wed 06-Jul-22 01:18:42

Royal family names are usually a safe bet. Politicians' names less so, although the Churchill myth has caused Winston to endure through the years.

Marilyn has lasted well perhaps partly as it has a pretty sound. Grace is nice and the Princess of Monaco never blotted her copy book.

LeighC Wed 06-Jul-22 01:27:47

My Granddaughters are called Eleanor Amelia and Abigail Estelle. Known as Ellie and Abbie. Estelle is because Ellie absolutely loves Stars! I absolutely love both my girls names.