Gransnet forums

Chat

There's no place like home

(79 Posts)
AussieGran59 Wed 25-Jan-23 05:59:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nanna8 Wed 25-Jan-23 06:12:43

One hundred percent agree with you there! I love going away on hols but it makes your own home and bed all the more attractive! I never sleep as well away from home, either. The memories of hols are often better than the actual thing I think.

notgran Wed 25-Jan-23 06:16:55

AussieGran59 what a shame you feel like this. We are so glad that we have had the freedom to travel restored and once we could, booked short breaks away and one big holiday last year. This year so far we are looking forward to 3 mini-breaks and have even booked a Christmas Market trip in December. Can't decide yet where to book our big holiday. Part of the enjoyment to me, is choosing places and looking forward to the trip. We rarely use travel agents and book our own choices. I hope you get your Travel Mojo back soon. I do love my home bit love just as much, trips away.

Juliet27 Wed 25-Jan-23 06:39:43

I feel the same as you two Australian grans which is a great shame as I’m in U.K. and both my ACs live in NSW. Maybe when weather improves here I’ll feel like gradually ‘forcing’ my way out of my own comfy bed.

Hetty58 Wed 25-Jan-23 06:48:41

Since childhood, I didn't enjoy travelling as it makes me really sick - so the first day and/or night on holiday would be sleepless, spent just coping with recovery (often in bed with a migraine).

I did love the adventure of exploring new places, though, especially city or country breaks - being bored silly, after half an hour, on a beach or beside a pool. I'd be the one taking kids on a long sightseeing trek while others relaxed.

On our return, another day of illness - so, overall, I did it for others, I'd make the best of it and get it over with. It's been wonderful to have an excuse to stay at home!

Cs783 Wed 25-Jan-23 06:49:26

Jane Austen wrote in Emma ( published 1815) “Ah! There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” But of course we travel for more/other things than just comfort. I agree that the balance changes over time wink

Kim19 Wed 25-Jan-23 06:56:43

I too seem to have lost my incessant travel bug. Can't understand it but think it has something to do with constant news reports of hassle from strikes or documentation problems. No doubt these are totally exaggerated by all medias but I find myself quietly content to stay put. Can't quite reconcile it in my head but there y' go.

AussieGran59 Wed 25-Jan-23 07:05:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

loopyloo Wed 25-Jan-23 07:30:21

So agree. Had 2 nights at a hotel on the south coast that had wonderful sea view but shower difficult to use.
Then spent one night picking up the dog from Ringwood and stayed in a travelodge, brilliant. But so glad to get home.

Susan56 Wed 25-Jan-23 08:28:52

We have just had a couple of nights away and like you AussieGran we are so glad to be home.

We had this very conversation on the way home.We used to go away for weeks on end but now we were glad to be home after two nights🤷‍♀️

Casdon Wed 25-Jan-23 08:45:04

Perhaps it’s just me, but I feel quite the opposite at the moment. After three years spending too much time at home due to Covid restrictions, I’ve got such itchy feet, and I’m up for any nights away and a bit of adventure to escape the four walls. I do miss the dog when I go away without him, but as soon as I get home after one trip I start looking forward to the next one.

Urmstongran Wed 25-Jan-23 08:49:30

I’m a “wherever I lay my hat” person! 😁

Aveline Wed 25-Jan-23 08:58:48

I remember laughing when Blanche Hunt, a character in Coronation Street, arrived back home and sighing in satisfaction said, 'It's nice to get home to your own toilet'! I know what she meant.

Joseanne Wed 25-Jan-23 09:13:18

I'm away from home for 3 weeks at the moment. So far so good, and actually sleeping well. Like Casdon all I miss is the dog, but DH sends photos, like today's.
I don't find airports and stations much fun these days. I almost have to stand under the boards to read the departure times and I'm not keen on the surge of people that ensues.

Witzend Wed 25-Jan-23 09:25:01

Yes, absolutely - and I always used to have very itchy feet.

I like my own bed, and certainly won’t stay anywhere without a king size - just can’t share a standard double any more - it feels so cramped and neither of us sleeps well any more. I too hate windows that don’t open, though can put up with it for a night or two - certainly no longer.

Evidently an age thing I suppose - I’m a bit over my three score and ten.

We do still go away, and I do largely enjoy it (except for the faff and hassle of airports) but TBH I wouldn’t much care if we didn’t! Dh is still keen on travelling though and does go away more than I do - an overseas trip with his brother is coming up next month - I will happily wave them goodbye.

M0nica Wed 25-Jan-23 09:25:29

When i was yonger I had a reputation for being able to sleep on a clothes line. Wherever I laid my head,I slept. I am not quite as good now, but a bed has to be really uncomfortable for me not to sleep well away.

I rather enjoy that new room feeling, waking to new surroundings, new smells. The anticipation of what the breakfast will be like and include - even though I am a light breakfaster.

Yes, of course it is nice to get home and I do not like being away from home for more than 10 days, but I love every second of being in a hotel.

We rarely fly these days, DH did too much flying when he was working, and I loathe airports, but we have a short break booked at a luxury hotel in early February. DH has been working recently, so the dibs are in tune and it is our 55th wedding anniversary. I intend to enjoy every delicious second, every delicious meal and sinking into their deliciously comfortable beds and sleeping like a log - then it will be so nice to go home.

Redhead56 Wed 25-Jan-23 09:35:19

Most certainly don’t miss travel anymore last June we travelled all around Southern Ireland which was wonderful. In mid September we stayed in a lovely cottage in Ludlow. We had perfect weeks in both places with no complaints but I was glad to get home to my own space and bed.

Our friends are trying to persuade us to go on a river cruise I have never been on any type of cruise before. I have travelled widely over the years some amazing places some not so great. I am reluctant my DH says I should show more interest as we only get one life I just cannot be enthusiastic about it.

There’s no place like home and that seems to be my out look on life now and quite frankly it’s the way I feel.

Kate1949 Wed 25-Jan-23 09:36:41

Oh yes us too. We were intrepid travellers, mostly due to my husband who absolutely loved holidays. I was less keen but obviously enjoyed it.

We have been all over, long and short haul flights and all around the UK. We haven't been anywhere since before COVID and that was a short break to Stratford Upon Avon which is very close to us. The thought of airports and sitting on flights with strangers had lost its appeal. We will probably continue with short breaks in there UK but I'm not too bothered to be honest.

Yammy Wed 25-Jan-23 09:38:04

Hetty58

Since childhood, I didn't enjoy travelling as it makes me really sick - so the first day and/or night on holiday would be sleepless, spent just coping with recovery (often in bed with a migraine).

I did love the adventure of exploring new places, though, especially city or country breaks - being bored silly, after half an hour, on a beach or beside a pool. I'd be the one taking kids on a long sightseeing trek while others relaxed.

On our return, another day of illness - so, overall, I did it for others, I'd make the best of it and get it over with. It's been wonderful to have an excuse to stay at home!

Snap Hetty,
I was the same preCovid and even worse afterwards even at DDs. Tablets to get there, tablets to get out for a meal while there. Asking loads of questions prior to a day's outing and as for the bedroom, I think I fully reorganised DD at Christmas. After two atrocious journeys in very bad weather, we said never again.I went because others wanted to.
Now a month down the line we are saying it was lovely and the food and hospitality were. We are even thinking of breaking the journey at a Premier lodge or something similar.
As we , as a couple have got older, home is where the heart is and the comforts are. even for DH who was the adventurous one. You tailor your home for your needs, don't have electric cables to trip over, bedside lights that only switch off when you get out of bed and as for the ensuite that will only take water, the through-night trips were a nightmare.
Thanks, Aussie gran for bringing this up a lot of us I am sure can commiserate with you.

Elusivebutterfly Wed 25-Jan-23 09:38:19

Are there others here like me who don't like going away on their own? That is my main reason for not wanting to go on holiday these days.

Witzend Wed 25-Jan-23 09:53:02

Talking of being able to sleep, I was just thinking the other day of the many times we stayed with my mother back in the 80s and 90s - when she had only a 4 foot ‘small double’ bed in her spare room! Yet dh and I would sleep perfectly well in that - no way could I even think of it now.

henetha Wed 25-Jan-23 10:29:24

I wish I still didn't have such itchy feet. I long to go somewhere, anywhere at all.

karmalady Wed 25-Jan-23 10:41:35

I love my home and love my own comfy bed. I have all the creature comforts around me, plenty of satisfying hobbies and entertainment on tap. An en suite a few steps away from my bed and a cloakroom handy downstairs

I have absolutely no desire to travel and am contemplating not renewing my passport when it runs out

I am very happy in my own nest

timetogo2016 Wed 25-Jan-23 10:50:49

I love being away,but love being home more so,itchy feet after a couple of days.
I do think covid / lockdown has something to do with it tbh.

Jaxjacky Wed 25-Jan-23 11:17:51

We’ve decided no more flights, trying to do our bit for the planet, so it’ll be UK only for any breaks. Pre covid we lived in France for 6/8 months of the year very happily, did that for 4 years and it felt like our second home.
But I do like our home and garden, always pleased to be back.