Gransnet forums

Chat

There's no place like home

(80 Posts)
AussieGran59 Wed 25-Jan-23 05:59:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hetty58 Fri 27-Jan-23 23:59:15

madelaine45, my friend is usually broke, but loves a change of scene, even if local. She belongs to a house and pet sitting site, so gets virtually free accommodation for little breaks with her sister.

I think the lack of sleep is a major problem for me. We just used to sleep on the floor, anywhere, at friends' places when young - seems incredible now.

Wedi Sat 28-Jan-23 10:53:27

I'm afraid the three years of covid scuppered our travel plans well and truly , as it must have done for many people our age .

We're both in our early 80s and previously traveled to Europe twice a year . Once in the spring then in the autumn. I did all the planning , booking hotels etc . We always took the car and DH always drove .

We didn't do much local travel during covid and now DH is adamant that he doesn't want to do long drives anymore - not even in the UK . I have suggested coach trips, SAGA , cruising , flying but he's adamant that's it , as far as holidays are concerned.

I do drive , and have my own car but I wouldn't want to drive on the continent. DH doesn't like being driven and the indrawing of breath coupled with the rigid body next to me , is enough to shatter my confidence.

I wouldn't want to go without him as we enjoy one another's company and exploring new places together . So I'm stuck ๐Ÿ˜•

Neither of us caught covid . I have RA and we have both had six vaccinations , so considering so many died and/or became very ill , I guess it's churlish to moan . But !

M0nica Sat 28-Jan-23 19:05:57

Witzend Your DD's extperience of Estonia and Russia exactly replicates the experiences of DS and then, girlfriend (now wife). they loved Estonia, have no plans to return to Russia (setting aside current local difficulties!).

We have embraced the return of holidays with delight. Apart from returning to our holiday home in France, we managed to fit a visit to the to the Isle of Man in 2020, and last year went on a short cruise to Norway and had a week on the Norfolk Broads.

This year we have already booked a three day break at a luxury hotel in the midlands in a fortnight and a break in Scotland in June and we are thinking about travelling by train to Stockholm for a canal holiday.

Juliet27 Sun 29-Jan-23 10:16:55

Even just driving a few miles away yesterday was a hassle. After avoiding deep puddles, potholes and cyclists we were glad to get back to the safety of home!!