Gransnet forums

Chat

One country you haven’t visited but would love to - and vice versa

(80 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 03-Feb-23 10:37:37

Apart from war torn or dangerous places like Russia, Ukraine, Afghanistan, Syria etc that is
I’d love to visit Canada and see a wolf in the wild.
I wouldn’t want to visit India, it doesn’t appeal with the vast differences between rich and poor. Many people love it, I know that but I just never have felt a desire to go there.

Galaxy Fri 03-Feb-23 10:43:00

Greece, I dont really know how I have managed not to acheive this.

henetha Fri 03-Feb-23 10:45:33

Portugal, as it's the only country in western Europe that I haven't visited.

FannyCornforth Fri 03-Feb-23 10:46:11

Iceland and Alaska (I know it’s a not a country, but it well could be)

biglouis Fri 03-Feb-23 10:51:47

Ive been to Afghanistan, Syria and Iran in the past and they are fascinating places. I also wanted to visit Yemen but there has been civil war/violence/risk of kidnapping there for as long as I can remember.

I would love to go to the Galapagos Islands and see the big turtles, tortoises and other wildlife.

NotAGran55 Fri 03-Feb-23 10:52:55

Iceland and New Zealand. Both still on the agenda.

Skydancer Fri 03-Feb-23 10:59:20

Costa Rica for its amazing wildlife.

Poppyred Fri 03-Feb-23 11:03:19

Australia and New Zealand - but too far to travel and probably too expensive. 😏

Granny23 Fri 03-Feb-23 11:03:22

Years ago we spent 15 days in the Autumn travelling by car from Toronto to Vancouver. It was our intention to return the next year and explore Toronto to Nova Scotia, but our circumstances changed with DH's health and that trip remains top of my bucket list.

Shinamae Fri 03-Feb-23 11:05:45

Spain and France, the only ones I HAVE visited….🥹

Dee1012 Fri 03-Feb-23 11:16:51

Japan!

B9exchange Fri 03-Feb-23 11:29:09

Japan, Cost Rica, Glapagos Islands, Madagascar (my uncle was a missionary there in the 50s)

But the savings have been exhausted, we are off on 15th Feb to South Africa and Zimbabwe, which will be our last long haul trip, but we are so excited about this one!

BlueSapphire Fri 03-Feb-23 11:35:19

India, but looks too complicated sorting a visa, so that's on hold.

South Africa, and I'm going next month!

Iceland, and I've got a cruise booked in the summer!

China, but not sure at the moment.

Have lived in Singapore and Australia, but not yet done New Zealand.

Our dream was always Canada and the train through the Rockies, and we did that the year before DH died.

Fleurpepper Fri 03-Feb-23 11:35:59

We cannot travel beyond Europe now, for insurance issues. Sad as we are invited in NZ, OZ, Tasmania, India, South Africa, Canada, USA...

But is is what it is- so yes, Croatia again, but the North this time, and Portugal, again, the North, Lisbon, Porto and Douro. We do everything ourselves on a longish shoe-string. Will fly EasyJ, and then use trains locally, and perhaps rent a car for a couple of days.

Tenko Fri 03-Feb-23 11:37:28

Australia and New Zealand are on my bucket list , plus South America.
I have no interest in visiting India or Dubai

Auntieflo Fri 03-Feb-23 11:38:48

South Africa, but only because I read a Joy Packer book ages ago.
So very jealous B9exchange and BlueSapphire.
Do enjoy your trips.

Mishy Fri 03-Feb-23 11:39:52

Bhutan is my one place to visit followed by New Zealand, one day I will visit.

Riverwalk Fri 03-Feb-23 11:49:38

I've never visited an African country - rather fancy places like Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, Mali, Senegal, anywhere really.

Despite having two brothers living in Sydney I have no interest in visiting Australia.

Riverwalk Fri 03-Feb-23 11:51:19

FannyCornforth

Iceland and Alaska (I know it’s a not a country, but it well could be)

Hard to believe that Alaska used to 'belong' to Russia, until they sold it to the US in the 19th century! shock

Grandma70s Fri 03-Feb-23 11:51:43

I’m curious about India, but I don’t think I could take the heat or the poverty.

I’d like to see more of Italy and Germany. I’ve only been to Florence and Saarbrücken. It’s quite strange that I’ve been to Australia and Russia, but not these much closer places.

TwiceAsNice Fri 03-Feb-23 11:56:37

For some reason I have never got to Poland and Italy and would love to go to both.

I have no interest in visiting China or Japan

Callistemon21 Fri 03-Feb-23 12:55:57

I've never been to Canada either, nana8 and would like to go.
The Northern Lights - anywhere where they would be guaranteed.
New Zealand South Island.
Japan in Cherry Blossom time (we were to go but then came Covid)

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Feb-23 12:58:27

I’d go anywhere just for the experiences.

Jaxjacky Fri 03-Feb-23 12:58:59

I’ve done fair bit of travelling over the years and have no hankering to visit anywhere else. But we’ve both decided no more flights, doing our bit as is said.

MerylStreep Fri 03-Feb-23 13:01:36

We visited Iceland in the 80s. The highlight of the tour was a garden centre. They’ve got their tourist act together since then.